Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stellarium Port to Amiga?  (Read 3731 times)

Description:

Offline ErolTopic starter

Stellarium Port to Amiga?
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
http://www.stellarium.org/

Would anyone be interested in porting this over to the Amiga?

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: Stellarium Port to Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »
@Erol

i wish i had the skillset. we have a port of celestia, but i find stellarium much more useful on my SUSE box. of course my favorite astronomy package is actually amiga-native: digital universe. if you have an NG amiga and enjoy amateur astronomy, it's a must buy.

amigablitter has recently formed a fairly large porting team. you might try contacting him over on AWN.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »
Are you familiar with this?

http://www.digitaluniverse.org.uk/

I've never used it since I don't have an OS 4 machine, just noticed it on a google search for "amiga astronomy software". ;-)  Boy that's one hobby I wish I had more time for!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;729941
@Erol

i wish i had the skillset. we have a port of celestia, but i find stellarium much more useful on my SUSE box. of course my favorite astronomy package is actually amiga-native: digital universe. if you have an NG amiga and enjoy amateur astronomy, it's a must buy.

amigablitter has recently formed a fairly large porting team. you might try contacting him over on AWN.

-- eliyahu

I will take a look thank you..

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;729942
Are you familiar with this?

http://www.digitaluniverse.org.uk/

I've never used it since I don't have an OS 4 machine, just noticed it on a google search for "amiga astronomy software". ;-)  Boy that's one hobby I wish I had more time for!

Thanks for the link Mike,  I will check it out. :)
I still want to see Stellarium ported over though.

Offline chris

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
Quote from: Erol;729947
Thanks for the link Mike,  I will check it out. :)
I still want to see Stellarium ported over though.

Stellarium latest version needs Qt 4.8.  Prior to that, it needed full OpenGL (or glx or something we don't have).  A long time in the past, it used SDL - and there is already a port of that version (to OS4 and MorphOS at least)

I've tried porting the Qt version to OS4 but keep falling over additional requirements (first glx, then Qt 4.8).  I'm not sure if our OpenGL will have the glx stuff, if it does I'll try building that one again.  Otherwise it'll have to wait for Alfkil to catch up with Qt 4.8 - and I believe the intention was to skip that and concentrate on Qt 5.0 instead.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
Hi guys, as I seem to have found some amateur astronomers then perhaps someone could help.

I bought a Meade telescope years ago that came with a nice program called 'Starry Night" which allowed you to input your lat.long and then it would give you a live digital display of your night sky to use with your telescope.  Unfortunately it won't install on anything later than Windows XP.  (Great software even if it did allow you to track the "Mir" spacestation which gives you an idea of how old it was!)

I bought my daughter a new Meade for Xmas, but the software that came with it is nothing like Starry Night and is user-unfriendly and over complicated.

Does anyone know of something similar to StarryNight that runs on Windows 7?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
@darrin

have you thought about buying her a newer copy of starry night? the latest versions are compatible with windows 7 (link).  it's a very nice package, but i find digital universe far more useful in conjunction with an actual telescope.  it would probably be a bit complicated for your daughter, though, if she's new to amateur astronomy.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
@ Eliyahu,

Good advice.  I thought they had stopped making it, but I found a link.  Looks like there is a Win 7 version available for $50.  I'll get her that.

Thanks.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline mariaF

• Show only replies by mariaF
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;730017
@ Eliyahu,
Good advice.  I thought they had stopped making it, but I found a link.  Looks like there is a Win 7 version available for $50.
I want to join. Helpful pieces of advice.
CS-Cart allows to create fully functional web stores.