Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem with NewIcons and Visualprefs  (Read 2871 times)

Description:

Offline AkiraTopic starter

• Show only replies by Akira
Problem with NewIcons and Visualprefs
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
Well I refreshed my install on my A1200 (030@50, 32MB Fast, KS3.0,WB3.0, CF setup with SFS) and everything seems to be working fine except TWO things:

1 - Visualprefs hangs the system whenever a window is opened. Funny, I never got Visualprefs to run in my machine

2 - Newicons causes a strange problem. Whenever I change the resolution of my screen with Screenmode Prefs, Intuition closes the windows, workbench included of course, to make the change but it never opens them back. I have to reset the machine and, if I saved the changes, everything is fine, if not, I have to do it again.

I know the second problem has to do with NewIcons because if I disable it this does not happen.

Patches I have in the startup(in order of appearance):
- Setpatch
- Patchcontrol
- PatchOpenWB
- Fblit
- CAPrefs (ClassAct)
- NewIcons
- defIcons

- MultiCX (runs from WBStartup)

I tried deactivating all but still no bananas. newIcons is causing this problem and Visualprefs, well, no {bleep}ing idea, it is running FINE in my emulator setup, but NOT in the Amiga. Actually, this whole setup runs fine i the emu, without touching anything, but it's doing this strange thing in the Amiga.

OK, any ideas? I ran NewIcons before in my system without problems so something must be wrong now. Perhaps I have an old version ? I got Newicons46.

I can't remember if I had any other patches in my old config.

PS: could it be my version of Setpatch? I remember having some issues with this. I got the one that came in WB, I tried to load a new one from Aminet (SetPatch37) but it said it was older than the one I have.
/ akira_K

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
Re: Problem with NewIcons and Visualprefs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:51:28 PM »
Well it would... v37 is from Workbench 2.
:)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »
As I said, I already found that out, thanks :P

I don't have the old one, I have the 3.0 one.

What could be the problem?

I am getting fed up, an old problem that was not happening happens again: When I extract LHA files, the files always get I/O errors, and "skipping corrupt/extraneous data" errors. This even happens if I copy the LHA file to RAM: and extract onto RAM itself. The original files are not corrupted.
/ akira_K

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »
Try commenting out each patch from the Startup-Sequence until you find the programme that is causing the problem.

Cheers,
James
x

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:07 AM »
As I said in my original post, I tried this and that's how I narrowed teh problem to NewIcons and Visualprefs.

I don' care about Visualprefs but the Newicons problem is driving me crazy.

/ akira_K

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:08:13 AM »
:)

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 01:28:53 PM »
Sorry to reply to an old thread but I am having a similar problem whilst setting up UAE4ARM on my chromebook. I put OS 3.1 on it  a few weeks ago and it has been running fine but today I installed NewIcons and Visualprefs and the system keeps hanging. It seems to be related to the WB backdrop. If I remove the backdrop completely everything seems to be ok but once I set the backdrop to a picture I can no longer open windows or files. Very strange...
I tried that new SetPatch but it made no difference. Did anyone ever resolve this issue?

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 01:44:07 PM »
Is NewIcons even necessary these days?

Offline Paulie85

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »
I haven't used an Amiga in 6-7 years so I'm not sure if it is necessary. I installed it in order to set default icons for different filetypes. Is there a better way these days?

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »
That's what deficons does not newicons.

Offline Paulie85

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 02:11:29 PM »
I thought that deficons came as a part of the newicons package. I'm sure that's what I used before

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 04:30:07 PM »
What machine specs do you use in the emulator?
How much chip(graphics) ram is left?
Sorry to reply to an old thread but I am having a similar problem whilst setting up UAE4ARM on my chromebook. I put OS 3.1 on it  a few weeks ago and it has been running fine but today I installed NewIcons and Visualprefs and the system keeps hanging. It seems to be related to the WB backdrop. If I remove the backdrop completely everything seems to be ok but once I set the backdrop to a picture I can no longer open windows or files. Very strange...
I tried that new SetPatch but it made no difference. Did anyone ever resolve this issue?

Offline Paulie85

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 09:22:56 PM »
It is set up as A1200 020 and 68882 fpu with JIT  enabled. 8mb chip ram, 1.5 slow, 128mb z3 fast, 16 mb rtg board, 64mb A4000 motherb. slot, 128mb a4000 proc. board.. When I load it up the wb title bar shows 8,303,616 graphics ram and 265, 764,632 other ram remaining. I have tried turning off JIT and different processors but nothing makes any difference.