Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Converting TV signal from Amiga to HDMI?  (Read 19849 times)

Description:

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
Re: Converting TV signal from Amiga to HDMI?
« Reply #149 from previous page: February 24, 2015, 02:49:43 AM »
Good work, Im gonna buy one and try it on my TV that doesnt currently like converted Amiga-RGB to Component. :)

PS, I have their C64 video cables and they are great.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:52:10 AM by djos »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline mindprober

• Show only replies by mindprober
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2015, 03:02:42 AM »
You won't regret it. The quality of this cable is excellent. And, it uses a true DB23 connector. I'm wondering if Retro Computer Shack found a source for the DB23s and gobbled them all up.

Quote from: djos;785282
Good work, Im gonna buy one and try it on my TV that doesnt currently like converted Amiga-RGB to Component. :)

PS, I have their C64 video cables and they are great.

Offline mindprober

« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »
Sigh.

Well, I have to retract some of what I said. It is true that I am getting a signal out of the converter using the new SCART cable now. At first glance, I saw what looked like a little RF interference and was planning on swapping it out with a better cable. I did not continue to work with the computer, though. So when I sat down a little longer, I noticed the slight RF interference degraded into a strong image instability problem. It is hard to describe, but basically the image is filled with mangled graphics and the original wavy interference lines. In short, it is unusable as it appears.

Still, the fact that I am getting an image out of the converter now would seem to indicate that achieving a stable picture from the converter is possible with the right cable-- one made to certain specs perhaps?

@djos, I still think you're better off with a Retro Computer Shack cable, but you may want to reconsider after this update.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:56:55 PM by jdryyz »

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »
No worries, I'm happy to take a punt as an experiment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline mindprober

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2016, 02:42:03 AM »
Revisiting this thread because I recently acquired a fairly stock NTSC Amiga 1200 in good condition. I will be cleaning it up, checking the caps, moving my ACA1232 over and may eventually get an Indivision MKII.

In the mean time, I was rather displeased to discover another problem using my SCART to component converter box. Look at the attachment and compare it against my previous photos in the thread. It seems there is something it is not liking about the RGB video again. All the colors are there but it looks like it is being subjected to massive RF interference or something. I tried two different component cables just to be sure. I do have the top RF shield removed at the moment but I do not believe it is at fault.

I really thought I would see an improvement with the A1200 but just the opposite happened. I cannot do the monochrome-out bypass that worked so awesomely with the A500. The A1200's color composite does not help me much, either. My Dell U2410 actually has a composite input but it doesn't like what it is getting from the A1200.

Fortunately, I can get by with the Amiga RGB --> VGA adapter for now. I still see the ugly vertical lines as I did with the A500 and the colors are not as good as component but it will do until I can find a better solution.

I may have to crack open the converter box and see if adjusting the pots helps.

Offline mindprober

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2016, 10:12:07 PM »
More on this subject.  :)

Decided to try the SCART to HDMI converter box with the A1200 and a relatively new Vizio 4K TV. As I suspected would be the case, at the "HDTV" viewing distance, the motion artifacts are not a problem. I can still make out the slightly wavy vertical lines but that also is not a big deal, especially during game play.

What I did not at all anticipate is that whatever digital audio signal is being passed over HDMI connector is not being detected by my AV receiver (an old Yamaha RX-V3800). When connected directly to another input on the Vizio TV, audio is working! When I go to inspect the signal info the TV is receiving, it shows the video at the resolution that the box is outputting (1024x768 in this case) but next to audio, nothing is shown! Huh?

So my question to those who might be in the know, what format is the digital audio coming out of this box? I would think it would be CD-quality PCM. Even if it was 48KHz PCM or even Bitstream, my AVR could receive that. Not sure why it isn't working.

There is another another option, however. I can test the digital coaxial output and see if my receiver can detect this. I would imagine the box is sending the same signal in two directions, though. I would not expect something different.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:16:31 PM by jdryyz »