Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for backers to support the funding of modernizing gcc on m68k  (Read 4185 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

perhaps it would be best to start with aros set of patches to gcc and llvm/clang. these are among others meant to produce 68k code. latest supported 68k compiler backend is gcc 9.1 afair. the aros patches are meant as minimal. do not introduce optimisations absent upstream. and produce elf binaries. hunk binaries are being generated from these via elf2hunk utility.

Offline wawrzon

Re: Looking for backers to support the funding of modernizing gcc on m68k
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 03:19:04 PM »
AROS has an out of tree LLVM backend for m68k? Where? And what patches do they have for gcc?
actually aros patches are not platform specific. afair i have once tried to compile the latest clang/llvm toolchain there is (llvm7) with aros patch for m68k but i havent went far, let alone it worked. but gcc 9.1 works.
the crosstools patches are here:
https://github.com/aros-development-team/AROS/tree/master/tools/crosstools

The thing is. If we don't get this task finished that I started the BountySource campaign for, all projects working on m68k will be stuck with gcc-10 forever as all cc0 backends are planned to be removed for gcc-11. So, this is actually rather urgent.

im not questioning your initiative, even if i cannot contribute as present.

This isn't about optimizations or generating HUNK binaries. This is about making sure m68k support is not killed off with gcc-11.

the patches i mentioned are used to adopt the compiler to the system itself, since the architecture is still supported anyway, it doesnt probably help anything to bother with amigaos or aros patches, one simply needs to work on the upstream 68k backend. sorry for a stupid proposal.