Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Howto] Installing a current release of Debian on Amiga  (Read 23592 times)

Description:

Offline Rotzloeffel

I think it is much more easier....

use the network-install iso form http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/3.1_r8/m68k/iso-cd/

burn the iso on a cdrom and start the installation with your prefered Grafigboard.

the networkpath for the Installation is

http://archive.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free

After basic-install you can try to do a Distupgrade with the correct sources in /etc/apt/sources.list See Post 1 !

should be

Code: [Select]
deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian pool-m68k main

give it a try....

install aptitude with apt-get install aptitude

get the latest Kernel! see Post 1 install the kernel and copy it to your Amiga-Paritition

then do the upgrade

aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

I think that´s it...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:38:44 PM by Rotzloeffel »
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline Rotzloeffel

Re: [Howto] Installing a current release of Debian on Amiga
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;763961
Do we still have problems with PCMCIA network cards under Linux on the A1200?

I do not know about problems with PCMCIA Networkcards..... there is a so called "dummy" Network driver available wich should work....

but BTW: you can give it a try.... nothing will be changed by starting the installation and choose the network driver... harddiskparitioning will be done later....
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »
Quote from: adrian82;768130
If you mean PowerPC accelerators, of course. Debian doesn't tie the CPU to the rest of the hardware. You would just install the powerpc port of Debian.

The last distribution you could use with PPC on classic Amiga´s is Debian Sarge 3.1

Reasons: Kernel is too old, driver structure has changed in newer kernels, nobody here with time to do the job.......

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »
Quote from: adrian82;768135
What?! The Linux kernel still fully supports PowerPC and if the drivers for Amiga hardware compile on m68k, they will compile on PowerPC as well.

Do you have a source for your claims? I don't have a PPC card myself, but I am running an up-to-date version of Debian unstable on my Mac Mini G4 PPC.

Adrian

this is what a former developper told me! You are right, powerPC is still supportet! But not for LinuxAPUS ! APUS support was dropped! latest working and available Kernel is 2.4.17 AFAIK !

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1327811

see the first two lines Geert Uytterhoeven wrote in 2011

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;768187
Great job, Adrian!
I made several attempts in the past to install Linux on my Amiga 4000 PPC with Mediator PCI board and Deneb USB 2.0....
Perhaps we shouild even start a new thread about installing Linux on a PowerUp/WarpUp classic Amiga system?

you are confusing me :angry:

I allready did a tutorial....

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=725055&postcount=15

and by the way! Mediator is not supported by linuxAPUS! Deneb Rom must be deactivated by holding down left mousebutton during boot!

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;768192
Hi Rotzlöffel,

Yes, we already mailed on that topic and you possibly already pointed me to that tutorial.
If so, my health probs and some domestic issues made me forget about that.
In this case sorry.

no problem my friend !

Quote from: Dandy;768192
Yes - that's clear to me. If already the UW-SCSI on the CSPPC isn't supported on those CDs, I would not expect the Mediator being suported, as it was released AFTER the CSPPC...

But the question here is:
Is Mediator STILL not supported - or is it supported meanwhile (like the CSPPC-UW-SCSI)?

If it is still not supported at all, trying to install Linux on my machine would serve no purpose. In this case I'm better off with my current OS 3.9/WarpOS 16.1 setup, where all of my HW works flawlessly.

I will certainly not use the AGA video output again for anything else than the early startup menue in case of an emergency - my eyes are already bad enough from using those old, flickering "ray guns" in the old days. I do not intend to worsen their state by exploring Linux on my Miggy with such a flickering screen!

And I also do not intend to buy expensive second hand Amiga graphics card just to be able to test Linux.

The same goes for the NIC and the soundcard.

Mediator is still *NOT* supported! UWSCSI works fine as described in the tutorial :) I installed with it :-)

for booting you MUST deactivate the DENEB Rom either per Jumper or by holding the left Mousebutton during boot....

If you need any help, let me know.... you need a zorro-Networkcard for installation !

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:14:07 AM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;768313
Dandy you should really look at NetBSD for the Amiga as that has significantly better support including most mediator PCI boards. NetBSD is a traditional UNIX quite unlike GNU/Linux but you may like that flair, I certainly do.

For Adrian as it seems there are some hardware hurdles to get over you may want to check out the NetBSD code and see if the driver code could be ported. BSD licencing is GPL compatible so there shouldn't be any issue.

You are right! NetBSD is supporting the Mediator Board! But not the X-Server right now! If you want to use Voodoo3 on a Mediator you have to use a actual HEAD-Kernel and compiling it by yourself, because the Console on PCI is deactivated.

Code: [Select]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]# PCI bus support  
#options    P5PB_CONSOLE    # console on CVPPC/BVPPC/Voodoo3
pci*        at p5pb0[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

STRIM is working on these Drivers. He can help!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:12:15 AM by Rotzloeffel »

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;769111
Hmmm - but as I just discovered on the Elbox pages, it seems there's also Linux support for the Mediator and Voodoo:
http://www.elbox.com/downloads_mediator.html (scroll down to "3rd party Mediator software")
Does anyone here have more details on this?
What do you think of this?

I have a Kernel-version here for the prometheus-PCI, and it works...(maybe the same?) BUT the Kernel is very old, the Kernel-source is not available and it is 68k only! no PPC support...