Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Natami 3D-artist Interview  (Read 9924 times)

Description:

Offline desiv

• Show all replies
Re: Natami 3D-artist Interview
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
Quote from: persia;534233
The problem is they don't want to be known as a better minimig, so they are asking for too much.  They are trying to develop an Amiga that might have existed had much of the nineties and naughties not happened....

I suppose it really remains to be seen whether or not that actually is a problem.

Scope creep can kill a project with deadlines and financial obligations.

This project?  It's much less clear cut..

Without scope creep, maybe they could have released sooner (or actually released at all)...

With scope creep, they might not release.  Or maybe they will in 2011 or 12...  and if they do?  Well, they do...

If I miss a deadline at work because of scope creep, people get mad.
If I miss a deadline at home because of scope creep, my Pole Position cab stays broken for another few months...  But eventually, maybe I do get it working as a multi-racing game cab.  Or, maybe I don't..
Either way, no biggie...

Do I want Natami to succeed?  Yes.  Would less scope creep be better?  Depends on whether they ever release and what they release...

After all, it's not a commercial venture..

And even if it were, I've seen lots of projects with scope creep eventually make it.  Usually more painfully than it should have been, but it can be done.

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline desiv

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
Quote from: persia;534380
...In fact, you really have to have real world experience to suffer from feature creep....

No..  Any project where you "add features" that weren't part of the original design is feature creep.  Experience has nothing to do with it.

The more experience you have, hopefully the less likely you are to have feature creep, as you should be more aware of what it can do to your project..

However, I've seen many people with experience fall victim to feature creep as well, so I'm not convinced real world experience helps at all.  Unless you happen to be a PM.. :)

Unless your emphasis is on the "suffer" part.  In that, without real-world experience, you still have feature creep. However, since you aren't aware of it, you don't suffer from the results? :)

desiv

Offline desiv

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;534750
Why does everyone assume that the FPGA cores are the limitation for the Natami?  The '050 core and Robin core and Tami core aren't even required for a release.  They can release an '060-based experimental Natami today if they had the hardware working right.

Got it!  The limitation isn't the cores!  thanx!
What is it then?

Quote from: SamuraiCrow;534750
The limitation is that all of those cores that I just mentioned are tested in simulators rather than actual hardware.

Oh, so its the cores..  um..  er..  eh...  but .. I thought.. um...
:confused::confused::confused:

desiv
:):):)