Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Natami 3D-artist Interview  (Read 9930 times)

Description:

Offline JimS

• Show all replies
Re: Natami 3D-artist Interview
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:04:11 AM »
Geez.... some people don't understand that a couple of guys in their basements don't have the resources of CBM's entire engineering department. I figure that anything that we get after all this time is a bonus.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline JimS

• Show all replies
Re: Natami 3D-artist Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 01:25:16 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;534154

Remember, the Amiga was originally developed by a small group of people -- not hugely different from "a couple of guys in their basement." The Amiga was ultimately purchased by Commodore when it began to run out of funds. In other words, they too were a victim of "feature creep." After all, if they had limited the development to what was within their means, they could have released a much less advanced Amiga... probably not much more powerful than the Macintosh of that time.

Well, since I first mentioned the "couple of guys in their basement", let me say that that was not meant disparagingly. The original Amiga team may have been small, but it was intended from the start as a commercial venture. The Amiga was supposed to be a video game console at first, but when the bottom dropped out of that market, they shifted directions toward a full computer. Not what I would call "feeture creep", more like survival. But that was the 80s... now the market is settled, I don't believe anyone could introduce a new or even old machine in new clothes and expect to capture anything more than a hobbyist niche.

On the other hand, with modern FPGA technology, a small team or even an individual cam produce cool stuff for that niche.

So, I'll continue to watch and wait and will be happy if they actually produce something. If they fail, the Amiga community will be no worse off than it was before...

But that's my two cents.

Now, *that* I agree with.... two more cents. ;-)
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg