Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TF536 on Amiga 500 and KS 1.3 - Total n00b  (Read 1905 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: TF536 on Amiga 500 and KS 1.3 - Total n00b
« on: September 28, 2021, 09:56:55 PM »
Welcome!

I don't know anything about this particular accelerator, but the mmu.library package requires Kickstart 2.04 or newer. I would guess that the IDE controller also requires a newer Kickstart - many accelerators with IDE ports mimic the native IDE port on the A600, the driver for which is contained only in Kickstart 2.05 and newer.

Which version of Kickstart 3 do you have coming? 3.X (note the capital X) is a custom release from Cloanto that roughly corresponds to OS3.9, but does have some bugs/compatibility problems on some systems. 3.1 is the traditional maximum version for the A500, but 3.1.4 and 3.2 have recently become available. If you're new to the Amiga, 3.2 is a good bet since it incorporates some important ease-of-use updates with regard to hard disk drivers and filesystems.

Two other new-to-Amiga notes if you weren't already aware:
1. Never, ever, ever plug or unplug *anything* from the system while it's powered on. Chips *will* fry.
2. Aminet is the single most important software resource.

Offline Matt_H

Re: TF536 on Amiga 500 and KS 1.3 - Total n00b
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 05:30:19 AM »
So, a follow up question: do you have a 3.x OS for use with your new Kickstart ROM? Because Workbench 1.3 is not going to give you a good experience with a 3.x ROM. ;)

With the Cloanto 3.X ROM, you should probably aim for OS3.9 or copy the OS3.X distribution from Amiga Forever. 

And do you have access to Commodore’s user documentation? Almost everything can be found as PDFs these days. I definitely recommend spending some time with that. In particular, the AmigaDOS 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 manuals will give you the best foundation on shell commands and the Workbench. If you’re into inter-process communication scripting, also look for the ARexx manual.