Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TF536 on Amiga 500 and KS 1.3 - Total n00b  (Read 1904 times)

Description:

Offline CalabTopic starter

• Show all replies
TF536 on Amiga 500 and KS 1.3 - Total n00b
« on: September 28, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »
To start with, I am a total Amiga n00b... My total experience on Amiga was about a week with an A1000, and a day with the A500 that I just received.

With my A500 v6a I also got a TerribleFire 536 accelerator/RAM/IDE upgrade. I do know that with my KS1.3 ROM that the RF536 won't do much without any drivers... that's about all I know at this point.  I do have a KS3.x ROM coming, but I'd like to learn a bit in the meantime.

I've been told to install MMU, but I don't really know how to do this.  I have copied several files to the /libs directory on my WB1.3 boot disk, but don't see any change in operation and my free memory still sits around 890k free. The files that I copied to /libs are:
680x0.library
68030.library
memory.library
mmu.library

What do I need to do to install MMU properly?

Secondly, is there a way to enable the faster clockspeed of the TF536 CPU?

Finally, what should I do to access the 8GB CF card attached to the IDE port of the TF536?

I have my A500 connected via serial to my Windows PC and am using Amiga Explorer to transfer files to floppy disks.

Offline CalabTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: TF536 on Amiga 500 and KS 1.3 - Total n00b
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 03:53:34 AM »
Which version of Kickstart 3 do you have coming? 3.X (note the capital X) is a custom release from Cloanto that roughly corresponds to OS3.9, but does have some bugs/compatibility problems on some systems. 3.1 is the traditional maximum version for the A500, but 3.1.4 and 3.2 have recently become available. If you're new to the Amiga, 3.2 is a good bet since it incorporates some important ease-of-use updates with regard to hard disk drivers and filesystems.

Two other new-to-Amiga notes if you weren't already aware:
1. Never, ever, ever plug or unplug *anything* from the system while it's powered on. Chips *will* fry.
2. Aminet is the single most important software resource.

It's 3.X 45.064 from sordan.ie.  I would have went for a 3.2 ROM, but every one I could find required an OS 3.2 license before you could purchase it. Hopefully the 3.X is good enough to keep me busy for a while.

#1... Really? Nothing is buffered? The only port that I might be plugging powered up would be the serial port. I'll keep that in mind.

#2... Already have it in my Amiga favorites folder.  :)

Thanks!