Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon/Windows install questions  (Read 2640 times)

Description:

Offline BlombergTopic starter

• Show all replies
Amithlon/Windows install questions
« on: November 25, 2002, 12:54:39 PM »
I want to install Amithlon and dual boot with Windows 2000 Pro (don't hit me   :-D)

My partitions are the following (they're all on one physical disk):

Win2000 (C:)
BeOS (invisible to Windows) (5gig partition)
D:
E:
F:

I want to install Amithlon instead of the BeOS partition because it's the only one available.
I read on amithlon.net that I have to make a 10mb FAT32 partition for Amithlon and then dedicate the rest of the disk (partition in this case) to AmigaOS.
But if I make a FAT partition at this point it will be visible in Windows as a new D: drive, thereby screwing up everything (shortcuts and programs) except the C: drive.

How do I go about making an invisible boot partition for Amithlon and invisible partitions for AmigaOS and Work?
Repartitioning the whole disk is not an option, since I have about 60gigs of data on there and only a 20gig spare disk.

And also, which boot loader should I use? I'm a newbie at dual booting so something simple would be nice (too bad I can't keep using the Be boot loader).

• Show all replies
Re: Amithlon/Windows install questions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 01:36:34 PM »
I just re-read the amithlon.net guide, and I don't know if I understood it correctly, but is it possible to boot amithlon from a folder (drawer  :-) ) on the Windows partition (C:) without the 10 mb boot partition?
In that case I would only have to convert the BeOS partition to a virtual drive (same size as before), which can then be partitioned from AmigaOS to the parts I need in AmigaOS (System, Work etc.)?

Btw., my Win partition is FAT32 but since it is Windows 2000, there is no DOS.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 02:23:19 PM »
Hmm, since it's apparently a bit of a hassle to get Windows to boot the thing, can't I just use a boot-loader like Lilo or Grub - or whatever people use - to load Amithlon from the folder on my Win partition?

The approach with the virtual drive instead of my 5 gig BeOS partition and then the Amithlon thing in a folder on C: is the best option for me. I'd rather not have anything installed on my spare drive (the 20gig) since I use it to transfer stuff and the occasional backup as well.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 03:41:39 PM »
@ Amiga-fan

Yes yes yes, I know *it* doesn't need Windows, but *I* do  :-D

I've decided to make a boot diskette to start the kernel from C:\amithlon until I find a proper bootloader (and find out how to use it : )
However, that presents another problem.
I can not make a simple bootable DOS diskette from Windows 2000, there is no SYS command whatsoever (AFAIK).
I also tried making one from my old Win98 and ME boot floppies, but for some reason, that didn't work either.
What files do I need to have on the disk to get a simple DOS command prompt?
I suppose I could copy them over from my 98 or ME CD, if that will do the trick.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 03:56:41 PM »
@Bill Hogget

Loading Windows first is a bad idea.

Yes I know, I didn't intend to load the complete Windows, just enough to get to the bootloader - but since it's apparently not capable of running the dos command (as it is now - no DOS) to start amithlon, I'm looking for something with an option to choose between starting Windows from C: or Amithlon from C:\amithlon.
Will Lilo or Grub do this, or does it have to be on separate partitions?

Again, I'm new to bootloaders so please forgive my ignorance  :-D