Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To all of you AmigaXL/Amithlon users  (Read 6749 times)

Description:

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
Re: To all of you AmigaXL/Amithlon users
« on: November 13, 2002, 03:14:43 PM »
@Desolator

If you're doing a hands-on evaluation it would definitely be helpful to understand how the solution works, the system requirements and level of compatibility.

With all the glowing user feedback I keep wondering why Bernie hasn't been retained to help write the native x86 version of the OS. According to the powers that be this is only 12 months away.  :-D

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 06:59:59 PM »
@bhoggett

"I have spoken to people at Amiga Inc, and their plans for it are far more extensive than your puny mind would be prepared to accept"

Ok Bill, spill the beans!  :-D

Wait, let me guess... you could tell us, but then you'd have to kill us? Argh.

Can you at least tell us if these plans are still in the works and if they are encouraging to both Bernie and the community?

You mentioned previously that there was a high degree of certainty that Amithlon was a dead issue but under Amiga's direction wouldn't it be viable in a new form as either an emulator or the basis of an x86  version of the OS?

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 10:27:48 PM »
@bhoggett

"The plans are dependent on Bernie releasing his product. If that happens then yes, the plans - or at least those I know about - are encouraging to most people, though there will be those who would choke on their cornflakes if they were to be told about them now."

Hmm... is there any reason why Bernie couldn't avoid all the Amithlon issues and pursue this opportunity separately or are they intertwined somehow?

"Even without Amiga Inc's plans viabilty was very good, and it would have attracted more users and made more money than AOS4 and MOS put together. With the plans I heard about it would have been even better"

Throw us a frickin' bone here mang! ;-) I really can't imagine anything other than a native x86 version of the OS being viable and able to attract more users.

Say it! lol

"but the fact is that Bernie staying in the market is now a very unlikely scenario"

Still the same old legal obstacles? Or does he just need a group hug?!  8-)

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 03:07:01 AM »
@bhoggett

"To quote Hyperion 'there will be no AmigaOS4 for x86'."

Ah yes... meaning: Hyperion will not be the principals behind an x86 version of OS4.0. After all, these lads are rather pooped after working so tirelessly on porting and extending the PPC version. But... that doesn't mean it won't happen. 8-)

"I'm tempted to say more, but I won't."

Well aren't you a silly bugger!  :-P C'mon tell us that Amiga would like to use Bernie's technology as the basis of an x86 solution. We dare ya!  ;-)

"Until the market cleans up the corruption that pervades it from top to bottom, it will keep losing the best talent until all that's left are the crooks and charlatans."

That is indeed a shame. We all deserve better, including Bernie.

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 07:04:39 PM »
@bhoggett

"It won't happen as long as Hyperion control the source code and the contracts. In order for it to happen, Amiga Inc would have to buy back the rights and the find someone to do the work. I wouldn't hold my breath..."

Eek... you mean the OS4 development is completely closed?

"Well, in the long term their x86 solution is supposed to be the mythical OS5 - although I suspect my kids will have grandchildren of their own before that becomes reality"

You are a dour one aren't you?  ;-)

"but nothing's going to happen unless Bernie feels he's clear of the c##p and free to release his product without his life being ripped apart"

Who exactly is holding Amithlon up anyway? Or at least, which components of the technology are in question?

"There's no point going into details if doing so will merely serve to stir up controversy."

True. But you're welcome to provide vaguely disguised hints of what you think would be viable.  :-D

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 09:46:35 PM »
@bhoggett

"Effectively yes, though you could mention some exceptions like Olaf's Roadshow TCP/IP stack. Other stuff, however, is excusively licensed to AmigaOS4, and Hyperion hold those contracts, not Amiga Inc."

Interesting. It's now quite obvious that interest in the classic OS was an afterthought. One really has to wonder how OS5 could evolve without using OS4 as the foundation.

"That one's easy: Haage & Partner and Harald Frank."

So we can likely infer from this that the issue is not concerning Bernie and H&P but rather Amiga and H&P?

"'Something in-between'. Make of that what you will."

Hmm... a microwave that plays Planet Zed?  :-P

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2002, 03:22:30 AM »
I've seen this mentioned a number of times so I'm now curious: how exactly can you create x86-native versions of Amiga applications? Or am I misreading the claims of programs like fxPaint?

Offline ne_one

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2002, 07:01:20 PM »
@bhoggett

"Amithlon can run x86 ELF binaries. This is technically one of the nicest parts of Amithlon, because it works really well."

Excellent summary for the uninitiated like myself.

I'll have to dig deeper, but one quick question comes to mind: is the ELF binary format supported on other platforms as well? ie. can you generate ELF binaries under x86 and then run them on 68k or PPC platforms?

Another architectural question also intrigues me. As I understand it, Amithlon uses the Linux kernal for bootstrapping and for system/process management. Is only the kernal employed or is X-11 utilitized for rendering?