Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can I read an Amiga formatted CF in the PCMCIA slot (with an adapter of course)?  (Read 1504 times)

Description:

Offline darksun9210

so... you can't boot from amiga formatted CF card in a PCMCIA CF card adapter?

do you have to do "prepcard" and prep as disk? i think i'll get one of these myself and have a play, as being able to splat a CF card in the side for some mass storage transfer or even boot would be very nice.

a mate of mine back in the day had an arcos "overdrive" box on the side of his A1200 with a stonking (for the time) 420meg drive. he would boot from it and good ol' sysinfo reported over 2megs a sec. according to BBoAH and amiga.resource - the overdrive "doesn't have any controller logic - it's just a ribbon cable coming straight off the pcmcia plug".
which would kind of make sense as both IDE and PCMCIA are similar as both are a basic adaption of the PC ISA slot spec.

looks like there were direct PCMCIA to IDE adapters, and even back the other way, IDE to PCMCIA adapters too!
google tells me there was some sort of effort with a basic PCMCIA to IDE adapter for netbooks, when they were a thing, to have some more drive and CD/DVD storage than just the invariable 32gig MMC onboard thing. looking for this adaptor now doesn't yield much...

also wiki on CF cards says it's 50 pin connector is a reduced adaptation of the PCMCIA 68pin, but still to the PCMCIA spec. so i am hopefull - if only to have those hopes crushed by the iron bar of reality...

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.