Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can I read an Amiga formatted CF in the PCMCIA slot (with an adapter of course)?  (Read 1503 times)

Description:

Offline giZmo350Topic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show all replies
Can I read an Amiga formatted CF in the PCMCIA slot on an A1200 (with an adapter of course)? 

I dropped both CF0: and compactflash.device in DEVS but WB states it's uninitialized, which it's not. It's formatted with WB3.1

Do I need something else? Dang! I forgot.   ::)
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline giZmo350Topic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show all replies
The CF0: DOSDriver is configured to use fat95 by default, so if you plug in a card with FFS or such then it’ll fail with the behavior you described.

Thanks for confirming Matt! Pretty sure I knew this at one time…. But thought I’d ask. I’ll definitely give GiggleDisk a try even though I have many easy options to transfer files.

Also worth mentioning is the pickyness of the Amiga regarding the type or brand of the CF card. Some work, others might not. Trancend and Sandisk and other industrial are known to work mostly.

Thanks for the reminder TribbleSmasher! I learned along time ago to only use Transcend or SanDisk. I also found out that there is a huge difference in reliability between two types of 4GB Transcend cards.

The ones with the burgundy stripe across the (back) top are rock solid every time.

The ones with the rainbow stripe across the (back) top are very prone to failure.

Got lucky a couple of years ago and found a seller on eBay that had 8 burgundy cards. I bought all 8 of them and still one of them was a rainbow striped card. It would not (quick  ;) ) format at all.

Thanks again for the replies guyz!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:08:54 PM by giZmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!