Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 239764 times)

Description:

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #74 from previous page: September 10, 2019, 05:50:05 AM »
1) FixFonts
I added this to the bug tracker. It's pretty minor at this point.

Yeah -- definitely a minor issue.  Thanks for adding it to the bug tracker.   Do you have any more comments on the Intellifont?   The larger concern IMO is that I can't tell if any non-FONTS: path can be added to cycle gadget.   From the auto disk scan it doesn't seem to be adding and if I do it manually with File Folder gadget I can't tell.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
Well, I added this back mostly on the basis of "it has always been like that", but quite frankly, I don't get the use-case. Actually, I think it is potentially dangerous for the common user as this type of installation is allowed, but would mostly result in non-working fonts.

I'm actually still confused over the purpose of the initial first level dir. disk scan then.  What was Intellifont doing with the scan information if not adding to the installation paths for the cycle gadget? It sounds like you added that back in now but is there something else that Intellifont is doing with that information.

Would like to understand more of why the fonts would be non-working for a non-assigned FONTS: path.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2019, 05:51:47 AM »
Thus, you can insert a font disk in any drive, click on Intellifont, and there you go.

Thanks -- I somehow got totally confused but now it is making sense (I wasn't thinking about Source files for the disk scan at all).   This is very nice -- I tired it just now with a font disk in DF0: and it found 2 fonts that was missing from my FONTS:.   It compares what is already installed versus what was installed and listed in the source pane, 2 missing out of 3 in DF0: -- nice! I tried the older version of Intellifont and it only showed 1 out out 3 even though I had 2 missing.  So it seems to be better there.

A few feedbacks:

It scans the RAD: disk but does not scan RAM: disk.   Only reason for a RAM: disk scan would be if I had found a bunch of fonts to install and put them in RAM (like from Aminet)

For the left side pane, would be nice to have some kind of cycle gadget as well.  Maybe 1 cycle for the listing of the disk scan and a way to add to the cycle gadget list with the file folder.  For example, if I had decided to insert a CD-ROM  after launching the program, I could add some fonts to install but could still go back to the disk scan list as well. The way it works now is the "disk scan" list gets removed with whatever is put in by the user by the file folder icon.   

One other thing I noticed is if I do a manual source add to DF0: then it doesn't scan the 1st level directories.  I have to go to the specific font dir. one by one. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:55:40 AM by my_pc_is_amiga »

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2019, 04:59:57 AM »
From the way how the code looks, I would say that this is essentially an Agfa program that was originally developped for PC, and then ported over to Amiga (with more or less success), taking the concepts of the PC workflow with it. The same also applies to the "bullet.library" which is actually an Agfa (compugraphic) library that was (rather poorly) ported to Amiga, and then, with lots of effort, fixed by Olaf.

As always, thanks for the insights!

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2019, 05:10:16 AM »
Did this make it into the bug tracker?

A different observation for the CMD tool.  I'm sending the same number bytes each time but the CMD notify text is reporting an accumulation of bytes.   That is, the text says 172 bytes sent to CMD_File2 but in reality only 86 bytes were sent to that file.

Code: [Select]
5> run cmd notify multiple
[CLI 1]
5> CMD redirection of parallel.device installed

5> echo >PRT: "Test"
Redirected 86 bytes from parallel.device to RAM:CMD_File1
Redirected 172 bytes from parallel.device to RAM:CMD_File2
Redirected 258 bytes from parallel.device to RAM:CMD_File3
5>

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »
Any comment on an aRIN sequence where aRIN sends a reset  plus init sequence.  As it is now, it is possible that the printer could have some configuration set that does not get set back to the original prefs by init alone.  Init only sets mostly prefs but if user changes something outside of prefs then that printer code does not go back to default with aRIN alone

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2019, 07:03:19 AM »
trackdisk wasn't changed for 3.1.4,

I still seeing trackdisk stack issue and thought I'd share a dump with segtracker enabled.