Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing  (Read 17216 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show all replies
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

• Show all replies
Re: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
How about a new discussion called the penultimate device?  That leaves room for growth.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:04:28 AM »
@Digiman

If you don't want to read about other operating systems maybe you shouldn't be reading a forum entitled "Other Operating Systems?"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
All those years of nothing from Amiga have had their effect.  The iPad allows you to do those things that we dreamt about all those years ago and all people can do is ridicule.  There are thousands of people including kids who are developing for it.  iPad has harnessed the everyday person into programming.  That's part of the change.  Major software houses are competing with 15 year old kids all on a level playing field.

Read the comments from the naysayers here, they sound like ninety year olds complaining about young whippersnappers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
@Karlos
 I have to agree there's just something odd about Apples Apache/PHP.  I struggled for a few weeks trying to get authentication on a Drupal site to work properly on an XServe until I finally discovered that the best way to make it work was to run a virtual LAMP machine on the XServe.  Everything just worked.  Why Apple messes with such low level stuff makes no sense whatsoever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
On the flip side not every device need have a full bash shell,  I don't need it for my TV, even though it has a web browser. Sometimes a device is just a device.  The iPad is neat for a handheld applications platform, but I would want to code on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
@Iggy

Try it out, it's a neat device for what it is.  Not every computer has to do everything.  My fridge doesn't have to host websites, my TV doesn't have to render 3D objects in real time.  I have an 8 core Mac Pro that handles the hard computing stuff.  I have give talks with an iPad and small projector, watched TV from my slingbox, etc with the iPad.  I use it for light internet use.  It's simply  tool that fills a niche.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
"The Amiga, powered by hype since 1994."

But that aside, I thing the whole Holy Grail thing was a rather silly thing to come out of a serious computer magazine.  But then magazines themselves are about as relevant to 2011 as floppy disks.

Is a tablet a replacement for a desktop?  Only for some individuals.  Is it a nice device that provides applications for people on the go?  Yes.  What percentage of computer users have only one device?  An ever shrinking number.  The iPad won't replace your main computer, it will replace a lot of netbooks, but largely it's a new market, with it's own rules and logic.

Quote from: bloodline;623694
Well, that's obvious :) Coming fom the Amiga community I find it rather easy to tune out the Hype.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't Apple that called the iPad2 the "Holy Grail of Computing", which it clearly isn't... But I would argue this is is pretty damn close for a consumer electronic computing device. Think of it like a washing machine, it does what it says it does on the box, it just works, turn it on use it... No worry, no difficulties.

Apple is trading here on the fact that MicroSoft, left big security holes in Win95 and if anything went wrong with your "PC"... You were going to have to take it to an expert to get it fixed, those are the two real features the iPad trades on, the rest is just fluff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 02:55:25 AM »
@Kesa

Yeah, but notice the price.  Apple is competitive in price on the tablets.  This is something the haters don't want to admit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]