Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation  (Read 40465 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Amiga Case Designer Faces Intimidation
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 07, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;692130
I see...so no drives...how would you fill the gaps?
A simple pop-in faceplate, I'd think.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:39 AM »
"We're not a big bad company trying to hurt people, except when we take petty revenge for imagined slights!"
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;692178
First you think it's *morally OK* for Hyperion to intimidate Commodore USA for planning to ship AROS installed on their computers, since it would be an infringement to Hyperion's exclusive license from Amiga to ship Amiga OS 3.1 API based OS's under the "AmigaOS" brand?
Who was saying that? Nobody that I noticed. Of course Hyperion were jerkoffs about shipping AROS, that doesn't automatically justify everything CUSA does.

And looking at those pictures, My God, are you for real? Do you *really* think this is OK? You don't think this is like selling "Addidas" shoes (an extra "d" after the "a"), or Nike shirts with the Nike logo mirrored? You really endorse trademark infringement and piracy this way? You are even using the similar typeface, and the meaning of the word is the same! So Commodore USA selling Amigas with "Amica OS" (AROS) would be OK?
Only if you'd been paying attention, they're not being sold with those marks! They're not being sold with any marks! They're being sold unmarked, and the promotional pictures were solely an example of what could be put on them! Is drawing a Commodore logo on an Etch-a-Sketch trademark infringement? Is doodling it in sidewalk chalk trademark infringement?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;692192
Also when I first announced that I was working on an A500-style case you emailed me saying that you were interested. I nearly fell for it.
Then the behaviour coming from you, CUSA and Barry made me change my mind. Something didn't add up.
Oh, this I didn't know. The added element of sour-grapes on their part explains things even further.

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;692230
Oh, go back and look for yourself, especially on AmigaWorld.net; *Many* people were utterly terrified of even the thought of someone else than Hyperion selling an Amiga like OS coupled with an Amiga branded computer, and expressed relief and appreciation when they learned of Hyperion's actions to prevent this.

I'm simply baffled by the double standards you people are showing here.
Hmm, maybe so then. In any case, I am not beholden to Hyperion, and I maintain the same opinion: this was petty revenge on the part of a company whose CEO has acted like a spoiled child from day one, and the only sad surprise here is that his relatively more sane underling has joined him in rude, counterproductive bullying of people the community actually cares about.

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;692237
Oh really? Well, you are *obviously* right; "TheDaddy" has spent, was it seven years? to craft himself some kind of case out of bent sheet metal. I'm sure he had fun doing it, but that's all there is to it! And look at what Commodore did during just the last few years, you may not like them, but you are a *fool* if you try to deny them the fact that they *did* get the rights to use the Commodore brand, they *did* get the rights to use the Amiga brand. They *did* put the C64x to the market!
Yes, yes, they did pay for reproduction C64 cases and put generic sub-par PCs in them and charge a lot of markup for them! An accomplishment indeed! Clearly more worthy of the community's devotion than a guy making things people really want, not jerking anybody around with made-up claims of hundreds of thousands of units in Wal-Marts around the country, and planning to charge a fair price for them!

They have shown they have the financial means, the corporate infrastructure, the marketing, the knowledge, they have *the lot* to get uniquely designed, real, tangible, manufactured and branded products out of the door!
"The financial means" = "they have money." Big whoop, Trevor Dick has money too, and he made something comparatively expensive to the CUSA "Amiga" but much more interesting.

"The corporate infrastructure" = what, now? They paid to have a rapid-prototyping service roll a batch of cases, bought boards in mass quantities, and either paid someone to have them assembled or build them in their strip-mall office. Anybody with the money can do that.

"The marketing" is just laughable. Their marketing consisted of paying Disney for an ad spot nobody cared about, ballyhooing themselves to a handful of tech sites who gave their machines the dismissal they deserved, and spending two years persistently and thoroughly alienating the entire community that might have been interested in their products in the first place. Yeah, that's advertising expertise.

And yeah, they made some actual products. Big whoop; if the products are significantly-to-ludicrously overpriced generic PC clones in moderately-to-barely custom cases, who gives a damn? It's wasted effort in the best of cases. You might as well exalt a hobo for knowing where to get the best cheap bourbon.

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;692280
It was two short sentences, in a friendly tone, asking "TheDaddy" to not market his "product" using CUSA's licensed trade mark. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah, it was "friendly" in the same sense a mobster coming in and saying "nice shop you got here, be a shame if something happened to it" is "friendly." Leo's own admission that this was an act of petty revenge doesn't exactly make it sound any more legitimately good-natured, either.

Quote from: mongo;692326
According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the Amiga trademark was abandoned as of September 19, 2011.
Well, someone hurry up and re-register it, then!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02:19 PM »
Quote from: TiredOLife;692375
Well I was going to just say ignore the poster who asked for the LEDs not to be blue.
I really like blue LEDs.
Blue LEDs are a blight and murder on the eyes of countless innocent electronics purchasers, and anyone who uses them will be purged when the revolution comes.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »
Quote from: JJ;692383
Just wow, having the dog on the board of directors.
I dunno, he's got to be the most qualified person on the list...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;692384
Actually, it is us Blue Faithful who will be at a disadvantage.  You see, the human eye can go from red light to near complete darkness without the need to adjust for the lighting.  Blue light, however, depletes the chemicals in our retinas which are used to detect variances in lighting.

In the end, this becomes the classic "Red versus Blue" battle for our souls.
Well if it's gonna be a fight, I'll have to remember a They Live-type one-liner. "Hope your eyes can stand...the blue-light special!" *PUNCH*

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 01:11:48 AM »
Oh God, is that backdrop intended to stab me in the eyes?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »
Quote from: darkage;692603
Its a small company so it will be in their best interest to lay low instead of making already muddy waters more muddy...
It would, except for the part where muddying waters is basically all they do.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
Quote from: startup-sequence.bat;692615
Amiga is a strong, cutting edge technology and brand but if anyone can  steal the name and put it on anything then its rightful owners won't be  able to make a living out of it, much less bring it back to its rightful  position as market leader.
Yeah, there's just a bit of a gap between "long-abandoned but beloved machine with a devoted and still-active fanbase" and "actually any kind of contender at all in any corner of the general PC market." Cripes, even to match up with Apple you'd have to get somewhere between 15-20% of the market.

(And by "a bit of a gap" I of course mean "Valles Marineris.")

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Quote from: startup-sequence.bat;692670
So is it a question of how "clever" an architecture is versus how much "muscle" it has? In that case, would you say that the original amiga hardware had a superior design to modern PCs (in terms of "cleverness", setting aside the obvious gap in frequency, transistor counts, cache amount etc.)? And if so, in which way?
Well, for starters, it's not a nigh-endless succession of one kluge on top of another to address design flaws stemming from IBM's sudden rush to get in on the personal-computer market.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
Quote from: persia;694884
Depends, if then is now then he's right, if then is 1992 then the answer is no.
No, "than" was comparative in 1992 and it's comparative now :D