Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quantum leap towards computer of the future  (Read 3508 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Quantum leap towards computer of the future
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 27, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
It's not really of any interest to the home user. I guess it will fine tech for supercomputers though. They'll change from taking up a room in silicon to taking up a room in cooling equipment, but have a lot more power.

I'm most excited about AI, you can have real thinking computer opponents in games. And of course a robot butler.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;581602
It doesn't have to have a point, it doesn't even have to any real application.

Theory and application go hand in hand.

So researchers go around looking for something to research just to have a job. Moochers is what some people call them.

That's bulls**t, but there's a capitalist slant to that. It doesn't matter what the motivation is as long as someone profits from it.

In commercial R+D it has to have a point, it has to have an application (a way to improve life in some way)

Commercial research and development has to lead to profit. If companies could profit by developing and selling rainbow colored s**t, they would.

I guess what it really comes down to is knowledge verses action. NASA found ways to make planes safer and more efficient. But it isn't NASA that does anything with that knowledge. Its the aircraft companies. And they can't just take that knowledge and make an airplane, they have to do huge amounts of R+D just to use any good idea NASA comes up with.

The only reason those companies are willing to invest resources in such projects is because the risk is being assumed by the government. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Much of the federal R+D that you will see outside NASA etc. is pork. Dr. Whatsisname knows a senator and convinces said senator that studying frog anuses is important because they might be getting smaller due to global warming.

"Pork" is subjective, but more research is funded by private money than you might think. The difference is scale. What the space race accomplished over a period of months or years, modern, private efforts won't achieve for years or decades.

EDIT:

That is how much federal research grants go. If that money actually went to NASA we would see much more real, important science going on. NASA's budget has been cut almost every single year for decades.

On this we agree. We're still riding the wave of Big Government Projects, though, e.g. the Internet and most of its core technologies. It won't be long, however, before things stagnate. Today's innovations are driven by profit and control.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:19:34 PM by Trev »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 11:42:23 PM »
A quick question, if I may, to all our fellow Amigan's across the pond... :)

I've noticed in numerous threads here, that our cousins the USA almost always seem to bring politics, government, corporations and all that stuff into a lot of their replys.

Just wondering is it so bad in the USA, that everyone over there is so disillusioned with every thing in life that you all feel the need to blame it on someone else.

My sister who lives in Portland Oregon has become like this, every time we talk on the phone it's all about, how it's too expensive to go to the doctors or dentists and the government, the greedy corporations and the homeless are all to blame...

I keep telling her, move back to Scotland then, cos here the minority that have to work for a living hardly ever complain, they're too busy working to keep the rest of us layabouts going in fags & booze...

Move to Scotland, the weathers crap, but the lifestyles easy... :biglaugh: