Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS Hits the Papers.  (Read 6601 times)

Description:

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Re: AROS Hits the Papers.
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 10, 2004, 01:36:30 PM »
"This is a requirement impossible to meet"

You could force your malloc() function to always align the data. Don't tell me that aligning the data is impossible because powerUP aligned ppc exes for example...

about knowing the data type... yes, I've thinked about it and it would be impossible or almost impossible...

lets say we use two bytes to store a number and then 4 bytes to store a little text. We would have:

12TEXT...

yes... even if we aligned the stuff it would be impossible... you are right. Thank you Fabio :-)

but...

That leaves me with only one idea (/doubt), using the 68k memory area as the guy who did executor (a mac emu). He used memory in the oposite order...

....TXET21

if we wanted to read the first two bytes we would only have to substract the offset of the address we want to access to the end of the memory to access to the right position.

If we wanted to access an entire word from the 3rd postition the cpu would read it correctly as the order of memory is opposite

mmm what do you think about this? The 68k emu may have to be changed...

but this should work...
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2004, 01:52:36 PM »

12TEXT...

yes... even if we aligned the stuff it would be impossible... you are right. Thank you Fabio

but...

That leaves me with only one idea (/doubt), using the 68k memory area as the guy who did executor (a mac emu). He used memory in the oposite order...

....TXET21

Actually wouldn't the 68k see that text as 21ETTX :-)

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2004, 01:53:09 PM »

....TXET21

if we wanted to read the first two bytes we would only have to substract the offset of the address we want to access to the end of the memory to access to the right position.

If we wanted to access an entire word from the 3rd postition the cpu would read it correctly as the order of memory is opposite

mmm what do you think about this? The 68k emu may have to be changed...

but this should work...

To be honest, I've not understood what you're saying... any chance you could make it more clear? What do you mean with "offset of the address", for example?

Offline Crumb

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2004, 03:28:47 PM »
In the normal memory area we would count from 0x0000 and upwards... with this method we will define an area of memory for the 680x0 so we'll start from the end of the chunk of memory reserved. The 68k emu will think that the end of the chunk of memory reserved for him is 0x0000 instead of being 0xffff (for example).

We would have something like this:

Real addresses:
0x0000.....(x86 memory)........0x8000...(680x0 memory)...0xffff

The logic address the 68k programs would see will be:
0xffff.....(x86 mem).......0x8000....(68k memory)...0x0000

The data from the x86 memory area would look like this:

(start of memory)...12345678THIS_IS_MY_TEXT...(end of mem)

and after copying it to the 68k area it would always be stored in reverse order and the real aspect would be this:

(start of memory)...TXET_YM_SI_SIHT87654321...(end of mem)

But logically as the 68k addresses will start from the end of the chunk they would look as the x86 memory area

(start of memory)...12345678THIS_IS_MY_TEXT...(end of mem)

If we want to modify the numbers "3456" (4 bytes from the 3rd position) and change them by "ASDF" we would look the variable that stores the real ending address of the 68k memory chunk. Let's say it's 100. Our 4 bytes start in the 3rd byte, so we'll make 100 minus 2(the address)+the size of the data to transfer, the real starting address will be 94, and the real ending address will be 98. We simply copy the bytes byte per byte (using the method I have explained to get the real address) if we want to make a byte per byte copy. If the transfer involves copying a 32bit number, for example 12|34|56|78 in big endian, in the x86 memory it will look like 78|56|34|12, so copying it to the 68k ram will not require swapping the bytes because the memory is already reversed.

Have I explained my idea more clearly?

The thing that should be changed is the 68k emu, to use the addresses in the opposite order. The author of Executor did this previously, but I guess that using memory in the opossite order may require some important changes in UAE's 68k emulator. Once we are inside the emulator there shouldn't exist many problems in changing the addresses... it would be transparent for the programs.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Crumb

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2004, 03:31:44 PM »
"Actually wouldn't the 68k see that text as 21ETTX "

well, my example was transfering byte per byte so the result would look as I said. But if the memory transfer was done word by word it would look as you have described. But we have stated that the emulator will use memory in reverse order, so it will read the right values :-)

Offline restore2003

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2004, 03:34:11 PM »
whats this all about?  :-?

Posted by BBRV:

Hi Wayne, it is "official" now. The question remains how far the application of the ruling will extend. In any case, Genesi will NOT do it themselves and it will have nothing to do with MorphOS. We would like to sub-license AROS in a scheme that would provide a portion of the royalties to them (majority) and to this site (and perhaps Amiga-News too and others, etc.?) as we discussed what seems now to be years ago. We would still like to do that. If we did that this site would become a promotional/community arm of the effort and there would not be trademark challenge to this site ever again. Plus, the AROS people would then undeniably have "official" recognition too. $4.50/unit would still need to go to a escrow account for Amiga Inc. so that employees and creditors with legal judgments against Amiga Inc. could be paid.

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2004, 04:10:05 PM »

restore2003 wrote:
whats this all about?  :-?

Posted by BBRV:

Hi Wayne, it is "official" now. The question remains how far the application of the ruling will extend. In any case, Genesi will NOT do it themselves and it will have nothing to do with MorphOS. We would like to sub-license AROS in a scheme that would provide a portion of the royalties to them (majority) and to this site (and perhaps Amiga-News too and others, etc.?) as we discussed what seems now to be years ago. We would still like to do that. If we did that this site would become a promotional/community arm of the effort and there would not be trademark challenge to this site ever again. Plus, the AROS people would then undeniably have "official" recognition too. $4.50/unit would still need to go to a escrow account for Amiga Inc. so that employees and creditors with legal judgments against Amiga Inc. could be paid.

I think he is simply, stating that he will licence AROS... perhaps for the Pegasos, which may bring some income into the AROS development, and allow us to use the Amiga Name, through our conenction with Genesi...

Thats just my understanding.

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2004, 04:15:09 PM »

That is a good understanding, but we can tune that to meet the needs or desires of the AROS Team.  The License Agreement has to be respected, but there is plenty of opportunity and it might finally help cool down some of the Community dysfunction and if successful help fund not only AROS, but sites like this one.

Again, we do not want and will not mix AmigaDE/OS with MorphOS.  The objective is to add more opportunities for people who use the Pegasos.

R&B