Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Language use in the forums  (Read 27050 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Seehund

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2003, 11:26:15 PM »
##### ###### #### ###### #### ####-#### ####!!!

#####? ##### ### ###### # #### ### ####### #########!

#### ### ###### ####, #### ####. #### ####### #########, ##?

###### -- #### #### ########### ###### ########, ####### ###### ##### ########. ####### ###### ##############; ### ####, ####### ####!
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......
 

Offline 420Dude

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2003, 11:34:14 PM »
Why 4:20s the time to spark up!  :-D
\\"From the East-coast to the West-coast;
everybodyz been drinking,
                 but I\\\'m the one whos been puffing most\\"
                                                    B-Real, CypressHill IV
 

Offline SlimJim

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2003, 11:41:18 PM »
@redrumloa
 
So the R is the highest rating (not allowed for anyone
below 17), whereas X and NC-17 are actually somewhat
milder (not allowed for kids under 17 but allowed when with
parental supervision)?
.
SlimJim
 

Offline Mike_Amiga

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2003, 12:25:50 AM »
In the UK we have an 18 certificate in place of R. White numbers in a red circle on all videos, games, dvd etc but only Parental Guidance Explicit Lyrics on our music, odd that. :-o
AKA ED-209 on IRC...
 

Offline 420Dude

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2003, 12:26:48 AM »
super smoothe swirly smokin!

a bit slow tonight- maybe i'll go take a few hits with the miggy- its seems i've reached a dull momemt with very little happening (beside me keeping the flo) ;-)  :-D   :-D  :-)  :-P

Rock on, Mike of Wales!
your'e cool! ;-)  :-D  ;-)
\\"From the East-coast to the West-coast;
everybodyz been drinking,
                 but I\\\'m the one whos been puffing most\\"
                                                    B-Real, CypressHill IV
 

Offline Marky_D_Sahd

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2003, 01:19:47 AM »
Well Tarnation!  I can't even use some flibberty-gibbit curse words here anymore???That's a dang fool policy to institute!  I don't know one darned poster here who hasn't blown his cotton-pickin" gasket at someone or other and called him a rectal sphincter (including you, Wayne.)(Except for Billsey). Looks like the whole place is going to heck.  And what about those $*&()!!! X?**#@% who use $*#@*$ characters and punctuation to relace their $%?!!*$ filthy words, like they do in the $%#)**&@? comic strips?  Or those people who like to puzzleize their verbage by ommitting every d_mn_d vowel?  Will this no longer be tollerated as well?
What a flaming crock.
I'm signing the heck off now and getting back to my own whiffing place.

(P.S.  The questions were real, but the comment was light.  I agree with your policy, and know that I have overstepped the bounds on at least one occasion and had, what I thought was a light-hearted thread erased.  But this is not my page.  I am a guest here, and I really do respect the host's authority to make the rules and enforce them.  And I would rather be seen as a good guest than an unwelcome parasite.  Thanks, Wayne.) :-)  :-)  :-)
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!
 

Offline samface

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2003, 02:50:01 AM »
Quote

Wayne wrote:
In regards to the average youth of our members, please keep in mind a couple of facts;

1) Most were born in the 80s
2) In the mid 90's as most of our users were reaching puberty, most of their parents (former Amigans) were giving up their Amigas and buying PC's.  Which would you rather give a 10 year old?  A brand new, $2000 machine, or an antiquated, non-standard machine that you'd already paid for which could entertain the kids and allow them to write letters to grandma and play music mods for free?


Hey, I'm 23 (born in late -79) and I've been an Amiga user since -87. My first Amiga was an A1000 that required to boot the Kickstart from floppy disk. However, it wasn't my first computer though, that was an amazing VIC-20 where I managed to create my very first BASIC program. Are we beeing a little prejudiced here, Wayne?
\\"640k ought to be enough for anybody.\\" - Bill Gates, 1981
 

  • Guest
Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2003, 03:53:25 AM »
@samface

Not at all, you're on the back end of the bell curve where age of Amiga.org user is concerned.
 

Offline T_Bone

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2003, 04:59:26 AM »
@Mike_Amiga wrote:
> Last time I checked Cuban cigars didn't contain
> contraband (unfortunately).

last time I checked, Cuban cigars _are_ contraband  :-P
this space for rent
 

Offline whabang

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2003, 07:49:36 AM »
Quote
and a vast majority of our users are under 22 years old. This explains the lack of maturity displayed by some.

Thanks?
 :-)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.
 

Offline Casper

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2003, 09:33:43 AM »
Quote
last time I checked, Cuban cigars _are_ contraband

Only in the USA.
 

Offline Tigger

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2003, 07:29:06 PM »
Quote

SlimJim wrote:
So the R is the highest rating (not allowed for anyone
below 17), whereas X and NC-17 are actually somewhat
milder (not allowed for kids under 17 but allowed when with
parental supervision)?


No, the last three (though technically X does not exist anymore)>

R - "Restricted" noone under 17 admitted without a parent or adult guardian  

NC17 - Noone under 17 admitted  (Very view films are released with this rating, though DVDs with this rating as director cuts are fairly common these days.

X - The old name for what now is NC17, its got very negative history at this time for its use in porn, however one of the first films to get this rating was the 1933 King Kong which had to have several scenes of Kong devouring people removed for the films release in order get a more mild rating.   The film these days would probably get a PG-13 (ie same as Jurrassic Park 3).
    -Tig

 --I love the taste of crunchy natives.
          -K.  Kong

Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show
 

Offline Marky_D_Sahd

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2003, 07:48:16 PM »
Quote

Tigger wrote:
Quote

SlimJim wrote:
So the R is the highest rating (not allowed for anyone
below 17), whereas X and NC-17 are actually somewhat
milder (not allowed for kids under 17 but allowed when with
parental supervision)?


No, the last three (though technically X does not exist anymore)>

R - "Restricted" noone under 17 admitted without a parent or adult guardian  

NC17 - Noone under 17 admitted  (Very view films are released with this rating, though DVDs with this rating as director cuts are fairly common these days.

X - The old name for what now is NC17, its got very negative history at this time for its use in porn, however one of the first films to get this rating was the 1933 King Kong which had to have several scenes of Kong devouring people removed for the films release in order get a more mild rating.   The film these days would probably get a PG-13 (ie same as Jurrassic Park 3).
    -Tig

 --I love the taste of crunchy natives.
          -K.  Kong



Tig!  I am surprized at you!  You are usually a fount of incontrovertable knowlege and research, but this time, you're wrong!
King Kong was never threatened with an "X" rating!  It couldn't have been because the ratings system didn't begin in the United States until the late 1960's.  Kong DID face censorship, both from the newly established Hays Office, and from the Catholic Church and the Kennedy Family, who could (and did) get films "Banned In Boston" even after the ratings system was established.  The original ratings were:
"G," "M," "R." and "X".  "M," for "Mature," was later changed to "PG," "Parental Guidence," because people thought that "mature" movies were pornography.
The "PG-13" rating was added in the 1980's because of the movie "Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom".  After its release as a "PG" film (because nothing in it fir an "R" rating), parents complained that "PG" was not sufficient to warn parents that a scene of a man's beating heart being ripped from his chest was coming.
King Kong also had to remove a few scenes of Kong using Fay Wray's top as a PlayStation controller.  (See, now, dad-burn it Wayne!  I'm trying to keep this consarned thing clean!)
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!
 

Offline Tigger

Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2003, 08:51:59 PM »
Quote

Marky_D_Sahd wrote:

Tig!  I am surprized at you!  You are usually a fount of incontrovertable knowlege and research, but this time, you're wrong!
King Kong was never threatened with an "X" rating!  It couldn't have been because the ratings system didn't begin in the United States until the late 1960's.  Kong DID face censorship, both from the newly established Hays Office, and from the Catholic Church and the Kennedy Family, who could (and did) get films "Banned In Boston" even after the ratings system was established.


I'll believe you since the MPA didnt start until 1968.  Though I am going to complain to the author of my Kong book, since it says the movie was initially rated X and in actuallity it looks from IMDB that its original movie code was "banned" and then moved to Appoved after certain scenes were removed.   Its too bad the spider scene hasnt ever been found it would have been neat to see what all the fuss was about.
    -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show
 

  • Guest
Re: Language use in the forums
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2003, 09:26:38 PM »
what about X/XX/XXX ? what do those ratings mean?.... aside from the more X's the better....