Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: video hobbyist retro-upgrading in Alaska  (Read 983 times)

Description:

Offline vodleyTopic starter

video hobbyist retro-upgrading in Alaska
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:23:10 AM »
I'm glad to meet you all, and to be an Amiga user again!  
I just put UAE on my Pentium 4.  I've still got A2000s and an A4000, rickety and barely activated since 1993.  I'm pleased with PC video apps, and the bulk power to compress video-- but I sure miss Amiga paint apps.

Wow, the whopping memory, video cards, processors and storage of today!  I'm coming from Amigas with up to 8 MB RAM, and up to 25 mhz 040 processors.  

The LCD monitor of todays standards sure beat the CRTs I used.  And now, Amiga with the internet and online communities!  The clever UAE!  Wow, Picasso video drivers!  

I see I can import/export video frames from PC to Amiga and back again, using virtualdub. With the hardware available under UAE, I'll be animpainting on high-color video frames, compositing elements in Amiga paint apps, and back on XP, using virtualdub's logo filter with amiga animsexported to suitable formats.  I know there are Windows programs allowing similar operations to Dpaint, like Project DogWaffle, but I already know Dpaint.  Maybe I'll learn something about Arrex for processing batches of images.

And wow, my affordable solid-state camcorder goes in a pocket and saves to SD cards.  No more bulky cams and tapes!

Instead of fighting for cable access to get a show out, I can share online with a number of free services, and connect with others through internet social networking.

Now if my effort and productivity can approach my nebulous vision, that will be special!