Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: video editing  (Read 2964 times)

Description:

Offline Bug_racerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Bug_racer
    • http://www.euroauto.com.au
video editing
« on: February 21, 2007, 10:34:02 AM »
Does anyone know if there are any non linear video editing programs available ? If so please post links

Thanks

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
Re: video editing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:48:15 PM »
Err I don't know. Maybe the Video Toaster Flyer would be able to help you out with that. For some reasont I would be very scared to do heavy video editing on my Amiga. I would probably chicken out and use Final Cut Pro or something on the Mac.
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »
Vlab motion card + Retina ZIII graphics card + Toccatta sound card..

That works as well..

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:07:15 PM »
@Vlabguy1:

is there an equivalent PCI card to the Vlab motion (which I presume is ZorroIII) - preferably Linux supported...
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Krusty

• Show only replies by Krusty
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »

justthatgood wrote:
For some reasont I would be very scared to do heavy video editing on my Amiga.

I would feel scared as well. why not just let a cheap to replace pc do that sort of thing. who cares if it blows up. in a way we should be glad pcs exist to do the risky jobs that we dont want our precious amigas spending hours doing. i can fully understand people wanting to do everyting with there amigas though.

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »

Agafaster wrote:
@Vlabguy1:

is there an equivalent PCI card to the Vlab motion (which I presume is ZorroIII) - preferably Linux supported...

Yes the Vlab motion is a Zorro card.  I know there are tons of PCI cards
that handle video editing..not sure of the specifics..I can find out for ya
if you would like..
And I did hear about some Video editing software that was Linux compatitable..
I read about that a few months ago..You could be able to find out if you do
a web search.

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »

Krusty wrote:

justthatgood wrote:
For some reasont I would be very scared to do heavy video editing on my Amiga.

I would feel scared as well. why not just let a cheap to replace pc do that sort of thing. who cares if it blows up. in a way we should be glad pcs exist to do the risky jobs that we dont want our precious amigas spending hours doing. i can fully understand people wanting to do everyting with there amigas though.

Why would you be scared??  The Amiga can handle heavy video editing with no problems...

Offline Ross1

• Show only replies by Ross1
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 03:23:56 PM »
For video editing there is nothing that comes close to what the Video Toaster can do. As its available for both the PC and the Amiga and Newtek's support of the Toaster/Flyer is second to none I would seriously consider using it.
The Video Toaster Flyer is very flexible and you can use almost any size SCSI drive with it. You must have an Amiga 2000/3000 or 4000 in order to use it though but the 4000 gives you extra capabilities that you dont get with the other two.
Most PC software based video editing is not nearly as good in many ways because of the time it takes to render the final product where the Toaster/flyer is real time.
Newtek has a new software package for the PC called Speed edit and is very cost efective.

Links:

Newtek
Photo of Flyer cards for Amiga
VT cards

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
Newtek is a great company and the Toaste/Flyer is still a capable editor, however nothing on the Amiga edits DV or Hi Def video so you might want to consider either the PC toaster or at an even lower cost Speededit for your editing solution, same great support you have always got from Newtek, but in a modern product thats much faster at editing and can support current video formats and is a currently updated product.

-Bill Evans
Author RenderFX, Promix Tools, Flyer Utilities, Millenium and DVECreator
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Wol

• Show only replies by Wol
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »
@justthatgood

Hehe, I use a VlabMotion and Tocatta in my Miggy

It's loads better than using that awful I Movie stuff
on my Mac.

Iv'e never used Final Cut Pro, so cant comment on that.

Wol.
Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

--- Cree Indian prophecy ---

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:27:49 AM »

Vlabguy1 wrote:

Agafaster wrote:
@Vlabguy1:

Yes the Vlab motion is a Zorro card.  I know there are tons of PCI cards
that handle video editing..not sure of the specifics..I can find out for ya
if you would like..
And I did hear about some Video editing software that was Linux compatitable..
I read about that a few months ago..You could be able to find out if you do
a web search.

Ta! its unlikely I'll be able to afford such a thing anyway, but that would be interesting - I already have a cheapo Hauppauge job in my A1, but a) its not that good quality (RF/composite only) b) the program I was using (by our own Spirantho as it happens !) stopped working with OS4 update 4 - the thinking is that if it is Linux-kernel supported, its more likely I'd be able to get it to work on OS4 (if only I had the time too!).

thats the trouble with 3 kids - no time, no money!
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline SyrTran

• Show only replies by SyrTran
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »
@Ross1

The Video Toaster Flyer is very flexible and you can use almost any size SCSI drive with it. You must have an Amiga 2000/3000 or 4000 in order to use it though but the 4000 gives you extra capabilities that you dont get with the other two.

;-)

Sitting just to the left of my A1 is a Randomize Genesis Flyer.  This is a 1200 sitting in an RBM Towerhawk tower with the Onboard 1200 T/F Zorro II busboard, a KeyOn 1200 keyboard adapter, and a VidiOn video slot adapter.  It allows all the T/F features that the 4000 does.  It works quite nicely, even if it is a kludge.

As to the original question, most modern PCs don't need non-linear hardware.  They are fast enough to do video editing totally in software.  All you need is decent software, and the right interface to get the video into the computer.  I use (admittedly low-end) Pinnacle Studio on an Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego) with only 1 MB RAM.  Definitely not a high-end machine.  A Core 2 Duo would kick this thing to the curb.
Tony T.

People who generalize are always wrong.
;-)

A500 (put away), A3000d, Genesis Flyer (A1200 tower with
Toaster/Flyer), and A1XE with OS4pre

Oh, yeah, and this WinXP box with Lightwave 7.5

Offline Ross1

• Show only replies by Ross1
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 03:21:27 PM »

SyrTran wrote:
@Ross1

Sitting just to the left of my A1 is a Randomize Genesis Flyer.  This is a 1200 sitting in an RBM Towerhawk tower with the Onboard 1200 T/F Zorro II busboard, a KeyOn 1200 keyboard adapter, and a VidiOn video slot adapter.  It allows all the T/F features that the 4000 does.  It works quite nicely, even if it is a kludge.

That would be interesting to see.

I have two A4000's both with Toaster flyers installed, Why you ask? well it gives me total flexibility as now I dont have the problem of loading up keys on a video image thats two short to load it and then do a transition. I can have them run over top of effects stills and video all at the same time. Plus I can then run the clip on my first flyer and capture that project on the second one so that I can then add more effects to it or anything else I need to do.

The Toaster/Flyer is very inexpensive you can find the cards and software for the Amiga on eBay for less then $300 and your set. A good software PC video editing program will run you anywhere from $400-$1000 and the hardware based systems are far more.

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 06:01:34 PM »
@Tigger

Quote:
"however nothing on the Amiga edits DV or Hi Def video"

Hmmm, thats not necessarily true.........Amiga can edit DV quality and HD quality Video.............just simply use your DV cam for whatever video you wanted to record...........o even capture it with the card..............then import the video into a PC or Mac............and use Quicktime Pro to convert the Video into individual Frames.  Then just recompile them and convert them into FLYER or Toaster Format. You can even use Digital Juice Jumpbacks and other famouse Motion backs on your Amiga by first splitting the Animations into JPEG frames and recompiling them into FLYER ro Toaster..........heck even Anim8 format as I do for SCALA.  Looks awesome! and depending on your Amiga, it plays better than on most PC's.

Amiga is very very capable. you might not be able to import DV directly...as through FIREWIRE or iLink, but you can do it as I mentioned while still retaining the Dv quality.

Get Quicktime Pro!
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...