Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Software hut has advertised new GVP accelerators  (Read 23826 times)

Description:

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
Re: Software hut has advertised new GVP accelerators
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
I see that nobody has dared to mention RoHS which might explain why a North America based company is selling them.

Except customs, who really care ?

Got no luck, i would have a 2060 but i have to send to repair my sony Ev-S9000 for a close amount... :boohoo:
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »

CLS2086 wrote:

Except customs, who really care ?

Got no luck, i would have a 2060 but i have to send to repair my sony Ev-S9000 for a close amount... :boohoo:

I don't.

I'm sat here wondering how I can sneak an Indivision 4000 and a 4060 past my wife.  Hmmmm...

Damn, a really bad time for a repair bill to arrive.  :(
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 08:52:29 PM »

Darrin wrote:

I see that nobody has dared to mention RoHS which might explain why a North America based company is selling them.

Amiga-news.de did: "These products probably will be not delivered to Europe because it is a remake of old developments which do not square with the RoHS-directive."

I imagine that means there'll be no European distributor, but I don't see what would stop European users from ordering directly from Softhut...

For the most part, I think RoHS is a great thing, since so much commodity PC hardware ends up in the garbage. As far as Amiga stuff, though, I'm kinda glad the US isn't enforcing it. The odds of Amiga stuff, especially new gear like this, ending up in a landfill are (I hope) very, very small.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »

Splurge wrote:

x56h34 wrote:
I'm tempted to pick up a 4060DT. I doubt it would fit in my A3000T though.

If it did fit, I'd probably get one.

Probably not something you'd want to do to brand new hardware, but you could try the ol' WarpEngine trick and rip out the vertical SIMM sockets and replace them with 2 angled ones.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 09:29:14 PM »
Ok, this is killing me.  None of the web links I try get me to Software Hut.  Not even google can get to it with a search.

Are you all belatedly pulling an April Fools Joke on me??? :getmad:  :boohoo:  :getmad:  :boohoo:
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
Ok, this is killing me. None of the web links I try get me to Software Hut. Not even google can get to it with a search.  Are you all belatedly pulling an April Fools Joke on me???

There must be something up with your internet/browser. All links work fine here.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »

Matt_H wrote:

Amiga-news.de did: "These products probably will be not delivered to Europe because it is a remake of old developments which do not square with the RoHS-directive."

I imagine that means there'll be no European distributor, but I don't see what would stop European users from ordering directly from Softhut...

For the most part, I think RoHS is a great thing, since so much commodity PC hardware ends up in the garbage. As far as Amiga stuff, though, I'm kinda glad the US isn't enforcing it. The odds of Amiga stuff, especially new gear like this, ending up in a landfill are (I hope) very, very small.

Cheers for that.

I agree that RoHS isn't a bad thing, but I wish EU laws were a bit more flexible to allow non-RoHS components to be marketed for devices developed before RoHS laws cam into effect.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »
I've already ordered and received a confirmation for the A1200 accelerator, so I certainly hope it's not a joke. :-)

Re: RoHS, it doesn't matter if it ends up in a landfill or not--that piece of hardware is going to decay somewhere, sometime. Regardless, which bits can't be made RoHS compliant? The CPU? Old connectors? We don't actually know what they've used to piece them together yet.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »
@J-Golden

Doood click harder.  :lol:

I got email correspondence back too. So, It's all good.

G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Iggy_Drougge

• Show only replies by Iggy_Drougge
    • http://www.kristallpojken.org
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 12:39:29 AM »

Darrin wrote:
I agree that RoHS isn't a bad thing, but I wish EU laws were a bit more flexible to allow non-RoHS components to be marketed for devices developed before RoHS laws cam into effect.

RoHS allows for the use of non-compliant components produced before the directive was introduced, since a lot of machinery would be without spares otherwise. But I don't think it usually covers solder, and using non-RoHS parts made after the directive is out of question.

Similar directives will be introduced in the entire world sooner or later, so perhaps GVP-M had to make these boards before they became illegal even in America.
A4000/25MHz/64MB/20GB/RetinaBLTZ3/FastlaneZ3/CatweaselMKIII/Ariadne/A2301
A3000/40MHz/32MB/6GB/Merlin/Buddha/X-Surf/FrameMachineII+Prism24
Draco60/50MHz/128MB/15GB/Altais/DracoMotion/DV/IOblix+net

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 01:13:16 AM »
How and where are they getting chips from, and whose making the multi-layered PCB's?  Amazing that they can do this...

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »

-D- wrote:
The Blizzard wasn't the only player in the game. The GVP '030 cards of old were excellent... very well made, reliable, and compatible (heck, even my '060 GVP TekMagic works well with WHDLoad).

Well, for some reason GVP cards arent comptible with some high end Zorro boards like Vlab Motion..

I have to say they are very reliable boards those a2k o30s I had many customers with Video Toasters running those boards reliably for hours a day for years on end!

Also yes GVP Ram is expensive but its faster than any other ram you can put in your amiga afaik.

One last thing rather amusing, I remember being at one of the bigger amiga shows in like 97 and the GVP guy was ducking people left and right (nobody knew who he was) cuz ppl wanted more GVP products and they stopped production!

:madashell:
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 02:34:27 AM »
@Iggy_Drougge

Even if such laws were in effect, there are always loopholes. American companies have knack for skirting the legal system. Most likely, any non-compliant board would be produced in Mexico and brought into the US without inspection.

Offline Miked

• Show only replies by Miked
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:16 AM »
If only they'd make a production run of some A530s for the Amiga 500...

Regardless, I am thinking about a Spectrum for my Bodega Bay'd Amiga 500 system and an A4060 (does anyone know how 'overclockable' the 4060 is?)

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »

@Iggy

I agree with you.  I also am sceptical that these are newly manufactured items.  Even here in USA, chips/parts/solder sold by chip/parts big business are now ROHS compliant.  
I also think that GVP/Softhut should have posted pictured if they have something concrete.  Others, like Individual Computers always do, and show that their hardware is new (I love seeing (c) 2008 23 years later after Amiga release! :-) )
Also, one of my major complains about 68040/60 GVP made boards, is their drivers simply are not good (you have to use their competitor's Phase 5 libs).  Worse, when I emailed GVP few years back for support I never got a reply.  And Softhut's tech support is pretty limited, I frankly don't think they are knowledgable (perhaps they let go some of their good people?).  Anyway, just being sceptical and willing to wait to see before buying. :-P

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #59 from previous page: April 07, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »
I think that the most important thing is for the cards to work as advertised and come with a warranty which the vendor(s) will support.

If those cards are new old stock back from the original days, then that's fine too. In fact, I'd prefer it like that than buying a card that was redesigned to accept newer parts/components and thus risking compatibility issues. Just my opinion.