Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ELBOX New Spider device  (Read 19962 times)

Description:

Offline Reflex

• Show only replies by Reflex
Re: ELBOX New Spider device
« Reply #74 from previous page: September 02, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
Quote from: JJ;657507
Because dma on mediator is a hack.  AOS4 devs did not want to code that hack into the AOS4.  Hence DMA does not work on AOS4

ok...but maybe I could use the same driver I used on os 3.9 :P

USB on mediator is ok for me.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2011, 12:49:27 PM »
i think support for standard pciusb cards could be solved on 68k using openpci, prefferably under aros (68k). but as aros68k is aiming for highest possible compatibility with amiga os 1.x-3.x even on driver level it would probably be usable without aros too.

@chris: glad to hear that neil is going to port back some functionality to 68k. as i already said once it would be great to unify the poseidon aros and 68k api, so that improvements to aros builds automatically contribute to poseidon 68k.

and im sure michael_e3b is right about dma dependant mediator devices non working under os4.x on classics. there was enough statements form os4 devs about no support for such a hack and from my persopnal experience with os4 (as long as i have used it) i can confirm michaels statement.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2011, 12:56:19 PM »
what concerns rdb issue in elbox drivers i do not remember there was any proof that the code was malicious, only that the string was present after dissasembling. in this case it is just an assumption and rdb could stand for something else than "rigid disk block" or be put in there by mistake. as far as i remeber, there is no proof this code has ever caused any disk corruption. so execuse me if i now say, that i have an impression the whole campaign was an attempt at damaging elbox publc image in exchange for how they treated chris. i dont blame anybody for that, since it was an outcome of obviously unfair business practices, but in this case i would say lets put it to "bygones" for good.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
It was proved.  Wasn;t just a text string in the code saying RDB.

There was actual code that would do this.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
@jj:
if so, another reason to go with open software. even elbox could be finbe with that as it could give them some more sell, even if not in rebadged pci devices sector. they should have concentrated on pcibridge solution as such long ago.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;657515
@jj:
if so, another reason to go with open software. even elbox could be fine with that as it could give them some more sell even if not in rebadged pci devices sector. they should have concentrated on pcibridge solution as such long ago.

I don't think Elbox is fine with it or they would have made a generic USB driver from the start. I doubt they would have lost much if any money because of the increased Mediator sales. Their greedy clenched fists can't hold as much money as an open hand.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
Quote from: matthey;657520
I don't think Elbox is fine with it or they would have made a generic USB driver from the start. I doubt they would have lost much if any money because of the increased Mediator sales. Their greedy clenched fists can't hold as much money as an open hand.

Greedy?  Perhaps it is the fact that they actually make money is what keeps them in the market.  Want to buy a new G-Rex or Promethius from AmigaKit?  Oh, that's right, you can't.  Anyone else planning on making a PCI adapter for classic Amigas?  Nope.  I'd rather pay over the odds for some useful hardware than not have the hardware at all.  Anyone who thinks that there's money to be made can come up with their own solutions.

As far as I'm aware, OpenPCI drivers can run along side Elbox's Mediator drivers (for running things like a PCI Catweasle) so why hasn't someone developed a USB driver for a $5 card yet?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:32:03 PM by Darrin »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »
@matt: i think they are just a little feeble. dont care so much and try to earn some pennys hier and there without much trouble. f.i. they have given me some support on thirs party radeon. therefore they dont support pci, they just dont think much about it. but what could they do if openpci drivers opened some new possibilities even hurting their pci card sales? stop selling mediators at all? lets be serious.

@darrin: yeah that is good to have openpci as a sidekick to closed source drivers. and why none has developed a driver? because there is no devs left on aos. thank god we have some new aros devs like toni und jason dedicated mostly to 68k. jason has clearly expressed interrest to support pci bridges and much more on aros68k. its on todo list.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;657522
@darrin: yeah that is good to have openpci as a sidekick to closed source drivers. and why none has developed a driver? because there is no devs left on aos. thank god we have some new aros devs like toni und jason dedicated mostly to 68k. jason has clearly expressed interrest to support pci bridges and much more on aros68k. its on todo list.

Hopefully we'll see some 68k drivers for OpenPCI soon.  The more devices we can use the better:  Firewire/USB combo cards, SATA/PATA cards, etc.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
What about the DXR2/DXR3 DVD decoding boards? I thought Elbox was working on a driver for those for years. Any chance to get this through OpenPCI or Aros?
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline amigakit

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »
@Darrin,

I am using a SATA PCI card here on my A1200T with Mediator when running AmigaOS 4.1 Classic
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;657553
@Darrin,

I am using a SATA PCI card here on my A1200T with Mediator when running AmigaOS 4.1 Classic

That's interesting.  I have my Mediator in an A4000 and only want it for "classic" use (and to be honest, my FPGA Arcade is taking up a lot of my Classic use and it will probably reduce the A4000 to a dusty shelf once I can add Jacub's 68060 board to it).  For OS4.x I want one of those X1000s when they're available.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;657553
@Darrin,

nice for you, but since hyperion doesnt intend to support anything below ppc, 68k users have to rely on other possibilities. jason has already picked up the bounty to support ahci sata driver for aros:
http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/32
and even if he had not expressed it explicitely (what he did) knowing that his work primarly adderss aros 68k we can assume it will come around end of the year. some preparations has already been done.

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2011, 04:40:55 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;657452
Chris,

Here is the PSDDevLister Shell output:

http://www.amigakit.com/images/psddevlister.txt

Interesting. The Spider seems to be reporting even highspeed devices as full speed to Poseidon, somehow emulating the stuff necessary to provide split transactions to downport devices. Either that or you forgot to add the EHCI unit?

PS: Thanks for the CDs! Much appreciated.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;657511
so execuse me if i now say, that i have an impression the whole campaign was an attempt at damaging elbox publc image in exchange for how they treated chris.

No, I don't excuse that.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;657511
so execuse me if i now say, that i have an impression the whole campaign was an attempt at damaging elbox public image in exchange for how they treated chris.

Quote from: platon42;657678
No, I don't excuse that.

Ok, so much for "bygones" Chris. How about modifying your USB device for OpenPCI which Elbox doesn't like and sticking them with a bunch of nearly worthless Spider cards they can't sell. I thought it was worth a try anyway :D.