Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ELBOX New Spider device  (Read 19938 times)

Description:

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
Re: ELBOX New Spider device
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;657206
I think the biggest barrier to that is doing anything that might hurt Chris who has done nothing but good for the community as far as I am aware.

He only gets paid when people license Poseidon and a driver that doesn't feed anything back to him is kind of a slap in the face.

I also assume that he probably has a driver already and that if he was OK with the community doing it, then he would just release his instead.

I never was attempting to make a living on Amiga Software and gladly, in the past years it was less than 2% of my overall income... But yes, there were slaps in the face from people I would never had expected it.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Online amigakit

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »
@platon42

Try a mouse/keyboard behind a USB 2.0 hub. If this works, I'd like to see a PsdDevlister output.

OK, Ill plug my spare Logitech keyboard into the USB hub I have connected already and post the output here in a few minutes...
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
@Chris Hodges,

Since you are online and reading this thread, what are your opinions on the possibility of getting a wireless USB network adapter to work with AmigaOS3.x, or MorphOS2.x?

Neil Cafferkey has improved the Prism2 driver to include WPA support recently and I am almost desperate to get some kind of wireless networking running on any of my MorphOS2.x machines.

I would love to be able to use one of my two wireless PCMCIA Prism2 compatible cards in my G4 PowerBook running MorphOS2.8 when it is released, as it has been stated that the internal Airport card will not be supported in the initial release of MorphOS for G4 PowerBooks, and may not be supported ever in the future, unless some third party developer wants to complete a driver for it.

I would gladly pay you, or Neil Cafferkey (or anyone else that could complete one) for a driver for the internal Airport Extreme card inside my 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook.  But since the G4 PowerBook also has a PCMCIA slot, it seems to me that an easier solution for wireless networking, would be to first get the MorphOS Dev. Team to activate that device (the PCMCIA slot is currently blacklisted due to some incompatibilities experienced in the past), and then just use Neil Cafferkey's Prism2 device driver for MorphOS2.x.  If there is an easier solution using a USB wireless networking device, then I am all for that too.

The advantage of getting a wireless USB networking device supported, is that it could be used on any Amiga, or MorphOS computer with USB ports.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:04:25 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Online amigakit

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 11:54:52 PM »
@Platon42

Logitech keyboard and mouse works fine in the USB 2.0 hub, here is the device list:

http://www.amigakit.com/images/poseidon4.4-devices.jpg
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:04:36 AM by amigakit »

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »
Quote from: Piru;657047
If you're trying to find as bad analogy as you can you've succeeded.

Piru
Have to agree with you here. Completely absurd analogy.

Darrin are you kidding us or what with that crap?  Its like blaming the London Riots on Seaguls... doesnt make sense? Sound silly? EXACTLY

btw have fun at the games im sooo jealous ... though obviously Swansea has zero chance v Man U.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:42 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;657255
Piru
Have to agree with you here. Completely absurd analogy.

Darrin are you kidding us or what with that crap?  Its like blaming the London Riots on Seaguls... doesnt make sense? Sound silly? EXACTLY

btw have fun at the games im sooo jealous ... though obviously Swansea has zero chance v Man U.

Of course I was kidding.  Like I said, I was just throwing crap back to mimic the original comment.

I fear you're right, unless Swansea beat Arsenal 9-2 on the 10th.  ;)

Still, whatever the result, it is going to be a good game.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline mboehmer_e3b

• Show only replies by mboehmer_e3b
    • http://www.e3b.de/usb/
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Hizoap;657233

They did remove the atc, programmed it and soldered it back on, looks like they didn't have a test clip for easy programming.
But yes you can reflash it. I like .5... instead of .5..3

They plugged the 5$ card into a PC, started the NEC supplied programming tool, changed the subsystem ID, removed the card and put the yellow sticker on.
The ATC chip can be reprogrammed by PCI accesses over the NEC chip. No need to start soldering. NEC provides all necessary information to registered users of their webpage.

Just to mention it: Spider won't work on AOS4.x Classic. The Mediator does not allow real DMA (just PCI-PCI DMA between PCI cards, not to Amiga motherboard), and as the NEC chip (as pure PCI solution) can only operate on DMA, you're done.
DENEB can at least be operated in Zorro III PIO mode with Poseidon running under M68k emulation on AOS4.x classic.

Michael

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
Thanks again to Chris for having revealed important informations in the thread "Deneb versus Spider". This has made several members to email Elbox about an updated driver and here is the result. My 6 years old Spider 2 is not useless after all :)
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline esc

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;657438
Thanks again to Chris for having revealed important informations in the thread "Deneb versus Spider". This has made several members to email Elbox about an updated driver and here is the result. My 6 years old Spider 2 is not useless after all :)

Yep :)  This is the bottom line.  I can use the card, it works very well, and it is fast!  So it was costly.  I doubt ELBOX is selling enough Amiga parts to have a surplus of cash...I'm just happy I have something that works.

Offline platon42

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;657254
@Platon42

Logitech keyboard and mouse works fine in the USB 2.0 hub, here is the device list:

http://www.amigakit.com/images/poseidon4.4-devices.jpg

Thanks for testing. However, that's not the bit of information I was interested in.

"If this works, I'd like to see a PsdDevlister output. "

You know, the shell tool thingy.
--
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline platon42

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;657253
@Chris Hodges,

Since you are online and reading this thread, what are your opinions on the possibility of getting a wireless USB network adapter to work with AmigaOS3.x, or MorphOS2.x?

Neil Cafferkey has improved the Prism2 driver to include WPA support recently and I am almost desperate to get some kind of wireless networking running on any of my MorphOS2.x machines.

Neil has adapted his driver to work over USB on Poseidon for AROS. He recently asked for the Poseidon Classic/MorphOS SDK to try to port it there. Feel free to bribe him, he deserves it for his great work and it might help go get things done more quickly.
--

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
Quote from: platon42;657444
Neil has adapted his driver to work over USB on Poseidon for AROS. He recently asked for the Poseidon Classic/MorphOS SDK to try to port it there. Feel free to bribe him, he deserves it for his great work and it might help go get things done more quickly.

Thanks for the info.  I already knew (or suspected) that Neil was working on a MorphOS2.x port, but was unaware that he had already completed an adapted driver that works over USB on Poseidon for AROS.  That is good news and gives me hope that it will not be long before he succeeds duplicating that work for MorphOS2.x.

I will gladly donate and/or purchase such an adapted driver from Neil when it is done, or if needed, donate now to help get it done sooner, and I hope that other MorphOS2.x users will do the same.

Thanks again for the updated info in your answer.  Thanks also for Poseidon and I hope you continue to write new programs & utilities for AmigaOS3.x, 4.x, MorphOS2.x & AROS in the future and we see some amazing new program or utility from you soon.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Online amigakit

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »
Chris,

Here is the PSDDevLister Shell output:

http://www.amigakit.com/images/psddevlister.txt

Offline Reflex

• Show only replies by Reflex
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
Quote from: mboehmer_e3b;657428

Just to mention it: Spider won't work on AOS4.x Classic. The Mediator does not allow real DMA (just PCI-PCI DMA between PCI cards, not to Amiga motherboard), and as the NEC chip (as pure PCI solution) can only operate on DMA, you're done.

Michael

Are you sure about that? I can't understand why spider will work on os 3.9 but will not work under 4.1 there shoud be some kind of workaround as it works on 3.9.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »
Because dma on mediator is a hack.  AOS4 devs did not want to code that hack into the AOS4.  Hence DMA does not work on AOS4
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Reflex

• Show only replies by Reflex
« Reply #74 from previous page: September 02, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
Quote from: JJ;657507
Because dma on mediator is a hack.  AOS4 devs did not want to code that hack into the AOS4.  Hence DMA does not work on AOS4

ok...but maybe I could use the same driver I used on os 3.9 :P

USB on mediator is ok for me.