Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of the Amiga? Is it a Lark or a Dodo  (Read 5432 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
Re: The future of the Amiga? Is it a Lark or a Dodo
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 06:44:45 PM »
Coding... Yes, you have everything you need for that: a decent editor and a good compiler. And a debugger, but Real Men don't use a debugger.

I am not a Real Man.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 01:24:35 AM »

Dr_Righteous wrote:

The costs are due to the small production run and target user base.

Which is why I wonder why in hell they even bothered with hardware at all. Stand on the shoulders of others and use their hardware, you'll reach higher.

They can spout all the reasons the have for their hardware decisions till the cows come home, but at the end of the day, if it's not in my best interests, who cares?

I just hope all the problems surrounding the current hardware don't kill the OS. That would be a crying shame.
this space for rent

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
I think the future of Amiga is Programming
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 01:30:55 AM »
Greetings,

What make me stick with my classics is the Programming language it has. You'd probably quote me on this...

I love AmosPro, blitzbasic(amiblitz) and StormC all for the fun of creating, coding, games devs. I thinks there are others I didn't mention that offers almost the same capabilities as the later that makes this classics a fun machine to code, debug, or program it...

Only problem is... I too lazy to finish what I start most of the time. :-D

Regards,

GiZz72
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: I think the future of Amiga is Programming
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 04:52:13 PM »

gizz72 wrote:
Greetings,

What make me stick with my classics is the Programming language it has. You'd probably quote me on this...

I love AmosPro, blitzbasic(amiblitz) and StormC all for the fun of creating, coding, games devs. I thinks there are others I didn't mention that offers almost the same capabilities as the later that makes this classics a fun machine to code, debug, or program it...

Only problem is... I too lazy to finish what I start most of the time. :-D

Regards,

GiZz72

Have you tried SDLBasic? It's good fun... you can put an entire idea together about 10 min!

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 03:38:52 AM »
by Yogi27 on 2005/5/26 7:42:40

You are either with us or against us,

Nasty little Red Troll!  Go back to Neverneverland and be happy with life of worrying if MAI bought the farm leaving Eyetech without chips.   :lol:

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 09:39:19 AM »
The costs are due to the small production run and target user base.

What's really sad is that despite the decision to use small volume hardware, it didn't have any compatibility modifications whatsoever compared to vanilla x86 machines.  At the very least, a custom floppy drive controller would have been nice.

They can spout all the reasons the have for their hardware decisions till the cows come home, but at the end of the day, if it's not in my best interests, who cares?

It's painfully ironic that, given the classic Amiga's custom chip design and emphasis on coprossesing, the PowerPC CPU alone was the only thing that mattered when it came to deciding the future platform.

Hyperion said that the future for PowerPC was very bright.  People point to the next generation game consoles as a representation of what's possible with PowerPC.  Cell is essentially a whole computer on a chip with several FPU units and cost untold millions to engineer, and only follows a narrow set of standards.  Stock PPC chips only keep up with x86, and aren't really any cheaper.  If the chip is so grand and has little legacy baggage, why doesn't it simply blow away x86?

The insane amount of heat generated by x86 CPUs is due to market demand, not a slack of engineering.  People want hot CPUs that are fast, so that's what they get.  Transmeta and Athlons that went up in smoke presented new issues, and now we have Pentium M among other choices.  Transmeta's future is seriously in question as a result, and PPC is still not working it's way into the mainstream desktop market.  ARM pretty much rules the handheld market, too.

People really need to get over their obsession with technical supiriority.  It leads to focusing only on a small portion of the total problem.  The Amiga needs an OS, killer dev tools, and a slick new graphical interface.  It doesn't need another sales pitch as to why CPU A is better than CPU B, and why Amigans really should feel obligated to pay hundreds more for hardware based on standards several years old.

Offline Zebedee

• Show only replies by Zebedee
    • http://www.gangstersonline.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 11:41:17 AM »
Hi,

Just found this forum while looking for MP3 remixes of some tunes I grew to love during my time with an Amiga, two of which I still own...

I'm a thirty-something.  Was introduced to the Amiga when the Amiga A500 with Kickstart 1.2 came out.  After that I learnt to code, joined a couple "scene" groups, released some software, made some great friends along the way and had some of my most memorable moments at gatherings.

I'm glad I was a part of that scene.

If a new Amiga was to be released it'd scare me immensely.

The Amiga has a cult following, much like the Commodore 64.  There are many sites showing how great the Amiga was and still is.  You can tell by the number of users who proudly exclaim their work on remixing the music, remixing the graphics or what-not.

When I got my PC the first thing I did was transfer all of my floppy disks and the contents of my hard drive (1.4GB took some time!) onto the PC and burnt it onto a CD-ROM.  In some cases I had to write software myself to read the trackdos disks and write them to a file.

I bet everyone has a favourite film from when they were younger, I have.  Kign Arthur and the Spaceman.  I saw it recently and my childhood dreams of the film were shattered.  I wish I never watched it again, instead keeping what I remembered of the film untouched.

The same goes for the Amiga.  I've had so much pleasure from the machine and so many great memories that have been brought to me from using it that personally I want to keep those memories like they are... gold dust.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »

dammy wrote:

Nasty little Red Troll!  Go back to Neverneverland and be happy with life of worrying if MAI bought the farm leaving Eyetech without chips.   :lol:

Dammy

Sure if Amiga.org become again a OS4/A1 slandering forum. Anyway usually are not OS4/A1 users to open these threads....
Ppost like yours really makes me happy to be an aw.net member. Enjoy your trolling.

@all
The thing finally are getting better, new hardware and new incredible OS. At least this is my opionion and i'm a very happy OS4 user.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2005, 01:44:32 PM »
:roflmao:@ikir

Black, kettle, pot :-P.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 11:51:21 AM »

ikir wrote:

dammy wrote:

Dammy

Sure if Amiga.org become again a OS4/A1 slandering forum. Anyway usually are not OS4/A1 users to open these threads....
Ppost like yours really makes me happy to be an aw.net member. Enjoy your trolling.

@all
The thing finally are getting better, new hardware and new incredible OS. At least this is my opionion and i'm a very happy OS4 user.

New hardware?  The uA1c has been out since before xmas, i'd hardly call it new.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
by ikir on 2005/5/28 8:33:44

Quote:

dammy wrote:

Quote:

Nasty little Red Troll! Go back to Neverneverland and be happy with life of worrying if MAI bought the farm leaving Eyetech without chips.

Dammy

Let's see here, your pissed off at my sarcastic reply to a "You are either with us or against us..." which is a rather paranoid and tunnel vision statement to make, and you claim I am a troll for it?  I see, you rather be in the protected little world where people can freely make "You are either with us or against us..." post without fear of being slammed for posting such a stupid remark. But if that floats your boat, go for it.

Dammy

Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

guest3110

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 10:15:20 PM »

The future of the Amiga? Is it a Lark or a Dodo

It's a Phoenix!  :-D

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 02:05:47 AM »
Honestly, at the end of the day I just want a new classic Amiga with some updated hardware. Give me the AAA chipset that was promised, addressing 8MB of chipram... Give me a 68060 with a clock speed in 3 or 4 digits... and have it address faster memory (SDRAM or better). Give me ZorroII/III AND PCI expansion slots. Give me high speed serial ports that will allow me to run my 56K modem at full speed. USB/Firewire would me nice. Throw it all on an ATX style board so I can put it all into a tricked-out case to show off! And last but not least, a kick-ass case badge.

Now nothing against the A1... The step forward is great. I just want new old stuff, cheaply.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 02:15:05 PM »
And I'd like a swimming pool and immortality. :-D
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline MskoDestny

• Show only replies by MskoDestny
    • http://www.retrodev.com
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 03:06:31 PM »

Dr_Righteous wrote:
Honestly, at the end of the day I just want a new classic Amiga with some updated hardware. Give me the AAA chipset that was promised, addressing 8MB of chipram... Give me a 68060 with a clock speed in 3 or 4 digits... and have it address faster memory (SDRAM or better). Give me ZorroII/III AND PCI expansion slots. Give me high speed serial ports that will allow me to run my 56K modem at full speed. USB/Firewire would me nice. Throw it all on an ATX style board so I can put it all into a tricked-out case to show off! And last but not least, a kick-ass case badge.

Although it's not exactly what you're looking for, the hobby project I'm thinking about taking on isn't far off. http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16757  Admittedly, it's nothing more than fantasy vapor at the moment, but I am going to give it a serious try.  

Out of curiousity, why is it that you want Zorro II/III slots?  Apart from video toaster hardware, I can't think of much that doesn't have a faster/cheaper equivalent in PCI.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 14, 2005, 04:17:42 PM »
The future of the Amiga? Is it a Lark or a Dodo

Il bet it will be the same as it has been for the last 5 years  even 5 more years people my age(22) and even younger seem to have a general intererst for the retro part off the mashine and after my friends had played around with mine they orderd their  own a1200 connected it to a projector and still have fun with it. The way i see it amiga may get more and more wanted dont know about the a1 tho.

adonay:-D
A1200 ACA 1230