Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any new Amiga games developed for ocs/ecs 68000?  (Read 2283 times)

Description:

Offline hypnoshockTopic starter

• Show only replies by hypnoshock
Any new Amiga games developed for ocs/ecs 68000?
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

Wondered if anyone here knows if there are any new games for the Amiga? (OCS/ECS preferably)

What made me think about this was that I've seen numerous games released for the Spectrum in recent years and I wondered if there is currently a scene for developing games on the Amiga.

I'm not referring to pc games compiled to work on PPC Amigas, but rather people who still practice the dark art of 68k assembler.

The closest I found was this AGA game on pouet called Super Pumpkin Bros
http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=32545

It'll be great to see some new games on the Amiga like what people are doing for the Spectrum and MSX etc.. (maybe the new retro style games are only prevalent on 8bit machines.........)

examples of new games for the zx spectrum would be anything by the mojon twins

Cheers

Jimb0h

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Any new Amiga games developed for ocs/ecs 68000?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
Not yet.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »
there's the TrackerHero but its AGA.

http://aminet.net/package/game/misc/TrackerHeroAGA

Cant see any reason why it couldnt be ported to ECS/OCS though ? (with some graphical compromise ?)
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »
This is one of my goals, but right now I'm working on an MSX project, so it'll be a while.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
Hmm it seems apparent that there are no new games. I thought there might be an audience for this but maybe I'm completely wrong.

I was thinking of giving it a crack at some point and I guess to me it doesn't matter if there is an audience or not seeing as making an Amiga game has been a nagging desire for quite some years.

I never did anything much more involved than AMOS back in the day so making a little game in 68k asm would hopefully vanquish the beast!

@countzero - Tracker hero!! haha that's brilliant!
@commodorejohn - You pullin' me leg?! if true.. then make sure you port that baby! ha MSX has quite a scene!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:16:35 PM by hypnoshock »

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
@HypnoShock

You could join the Programmers' Support Group on Amiga.org.  A better place to get acclimated to Assembly programming would be the Coders' Heven Forum at EAB.  If you do decide to go with EAB, be warned that people have sharp tongues and cocky attitudes there even more than here.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »
Snarky Brits! ;-P

Thanks for the heads up SamuraiCrow
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:26:04 PM by hypnoshock »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »
Quote from: hypnoshock;602955
@commodorejohn - You pullin' me leg?! if true.. then make sure you port that baby! ha MSX has quite a scene!
Well, that's the plan, at any rate. I've got a few different game ideas that are sort of in development, but as I'm only one guy (albeit one with way too much spare time,) they tend to progress in fits and starts. The one I'm working on now I think might be MSX-exclusive (it's a simpler project that I don't think would gain much from being ported to the Amiga,) but I've got another that I think I want to release on both, and one that's going to be primarily Amiga, with probably a DOS port and maybe an MSX version. (And yet another that's C64-exclusive, but that's way on the back burner.) But again, all of this is very much "in the not-particularily-near future..."

P.S. I'd suggest you at least give assembler a try - the 68k has the most programmer-friendly instruction set and architecture I've ever encountered.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:31:21 AM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:11:52 PM »
Along the way this new year, I'd love to learn some amiga coding, whether amos or assembly or whatnot.

I guess you can do it with a pretty small team if you aren't doing everything on your own: Someone to make art, someone to do some amiga music, coding for the game, maybe some concept and design writing.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »
Me and a few others here have been wanting to make some games for the classic 68k/custom chipset amigas for quite a while, but unfortunately enthusiasm is up and down as is attention span on any one particular project. Ive got lots of little bits and pieces of half done engines and proof of concept code and gfx and so on, but it's been a long while since Ive finished anything that wasnt a port of open source software.
Hopefully I can break the habbit in 2011  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 06:06:10 AM »
Maybe with the FPGA Arcade coming, it could spark a wave of enthusiasm.
I guess that's the only thing holding me back, I'm not enthusiastic about Amiga.
I got some free time though so I might collect together my ideas for games and do some rough looking versions that someone else can polish up.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 08:04:37 AM »
Quote from: hypnoshock;602946
Hello everyone,Wondered if anyone here knows if there are any new games for the Amiga? (OCS/ECS preferably)

Well, I don't know if they are new, but there are Amiga Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit games at

http://www.seuckvault.co.uk/

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »
I think there's definately interest. Despite the "NG" amiga platforms (mos/os4/aros) being more vocal on the bigger amiga forum sites I suspect that the classic amigas still have the biggest user base when you combine users of "real" 68k amigas, fpga based machines and software emulation. I guess one of the problems with developing new custom chipset based games is both the time and effort required to make something that'll interest people enough to look at it (after all there's thousands of amiga games already so a game needs to look on par to get more than a 2nd glance usually), and the fact that the amiga isnt an easy machine to get good results with for some game styles, and both remaining good amiga coders and good documentation/examples for those trying to get to grips with the hardware arent easy to find.
The new games for the 8bit machines, while still cool, just dont take the same sort of time and effort (assuming a person wants to make something look decent).

As for open source ports, they do often make thier way to 68k amigas too, but unfortunately are usually only suitable for emulation due to both general inefficiency of the foreign apis and toolkits (as well as far from optimal compilers) theyre typically only fast enough on emulators. WOS/PUP ports seem to seldom happen nowadays unfortunately though.

Just my 2 cents  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;603361

The new games for the 8bit machines, while still cool, just dont take the same sort of time and effort (assuming a person wants to make something look decent).

Agreed. Another factor I suspect is the very diverse platform that the Amiga is. If you do a C64 game you have more or less a single hardware target that you can program for. Amiga is and means different things to different people. It would be fantastic to see some new good quality OCS/ECS games. Oh if but only I had the time! ;)