Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if Everyone Sent Amiga, Inc. a $1 ????  (Read 10036 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: What if Everyone Sent Amiga, Inc. a $1 ????
« Reply #89 from previous page: September 11, 2003, 04:32:03 AM »
Hey Down, I gotta know. I've seen pics, but what's the Peg REALLY like??? With the massive price drops, it's beginning to seem too good to pass up. The icons kill me, though. They look SO ugly. =^(
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2003, 04:37:20 AM »
@Methuselas

Sweet as a dream.  I've shelved my Athlon and my real Amiga for it.  I need more RAM for it tho.  I'm already saving for the Peg 2 tho, have more spare DDR-RAM now that the Athlon's out of the loop.

As for the icons, you know you can use your old AmigaOS icons, right?
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2003, 04:46:08 AM »
o.O

Don't tease....seriously. Don't tease. That's my biggest gripe with it and AROS. The ugly icons.

How's it run the old software?? Fusion?? AmigaWriter?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Amithlon box, but I want REAL PPC.  The screenshots on the MorphOS website don't do it justice to me and Miggy users here seem few and far between. We're all poor as bastards with A500''s, 2000's and the occasional 3000 :-)

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2003, 04:56:47 AM »
I've never run Fusion, but ImageFX runs fine for me, as does YAM, Voyager, IBrowse, Aladdin4D and FinalWriter.  I've also seen people running Lightwave, TV Paint, Directory Opus...

And seriously, you can run it with the old Amiga icons from any version, even the glowicons.  

My HD is the same HD from my old 1200.  I didn't even format it, just installed MOS over AOS and it runs fantastic, runs almost all of my old apps perfectly.  (Tornado3D doesn't work due to the dongle, but that was about it from my software)  If you run Amithlon, you can copy anything you need from that, like the TCP stack.  (I'm running my old MiamiDX from my 1200, for example, while one of my co-workers runs Genesis from 3.9)  From my perspective, there is no difference between MorphOS and AmigaOS other than all of the headaches AmigaOS always gave me are now gone.  MorphOS feels like all of the potential from my A1000 is now being realized.  
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2003, 05:13:12 AM »

You know, I think Downix sugar coated things a little bit.  Some old AOS headaches are gone, yes.  All of them? No.  The headaches that are there are being worked on.  The version bump from 1.3 to 1.4 was nothing short of amazing. (I think I said the same thing on MorphZone a while back)

Anyway, sometimes, a screenshot is worth more than a thousand words.  I will upload to Amiga.org a screengrab of my own personal Ambient (think Workbench) grab.  Just give me a few minutes, a really great show is on the T.V. about ancient Alexandria.... :-)
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Targhan

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2003, 05:49:04 AM »

As promised, screenshots:

One

Two

Have fun :-)
Regards,
Targhan

Offline DonnyEMUTopic starter

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2003, 08:20:24 AM »
Now Methuselas :-) this is the absolutely best topic I could ever have imagined and has generated more responses than I could ever dream for, fun ones too!

You don't think in this world economically depressed climate I'd actually be sending them $1 or suggesting anyone else ever do so?? I reallly say this in jest, mostly to get people to respond about what the really feel (which you have done most eloquently).

I am actually stirring the "pot" so to speak cause I want to hear people's reaction to the idea of them "give to A Inc. as a Charity". Or if they think they should keep it alive...

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2003, 09:26:55 AM »
@DonnyEMU

You should have done this thread on Amigaworld or any other site what has members of the Amiga Inc appreciation society there,  now that would have been a good laugh.

So the world may know.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2003, 11:06:23 AM »
@Methuselas

The timeline sketched is overally good, but a bit inaccurate.

Where is the switch from the Eyetech/Escena designs to MAI Teron? Where is Haage und Partner? (Till 2001 november they were those who "developed" AmigaOS4 AFAIR.) In general I agree with you though.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2003, 01:51:05 PM »
Warface. Can't be 100% sure but..

Escena design was widthdrawn by Eyetech Early 2001 (well before on
Shehedule&rocking) cause they knew that AmigaInc had no chance on
getting OS4 made on themselves. Unfortunately Eyetech forgot to
mention this in public, instead they allowed Ainc to keep on selling
Partypacks with "OS4+Aone1200 to be released Soon".

I do assume Mai board become valid by the same time as Hyeprion
took over of OS4 (late 2001).

Beoynd those 2 .. timeline seems to be ok

(I may be mistaken. please correct if so)
(edit. at least one spellingmistake corrected :)

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2003, 04:17:17 PM »
@downix and Targhan

Thanks for the tidbits about some of the software that works ok on MorphOS.

Nice screenshots, Targhan.

---------------
redfox

Offline Targhan

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2003, 04:38:30 PM »
@redfox

Regards,
Targhan

Offline sdesros

• Show only replies by sdesros
    • http://www.501st.ca/
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2003, 04:45:24 PM »
Just a little note: Fusion and PCx doesn't seem to work on MOS at the moment.   Also DrawStudio 2 is being a pain too. :(

I do use (Amiga 68K or PPC's binaries of): PageStream v4 (takes a bit to twiddling to get to work but it works now), AmigaWritter, Art Effect 3, ImageFX v4, Delitracker (with the 14bit AHI-enabled noteplayer),  IBrowse 2.3, AmigaAmp, Miami v3, Cinema4D

Games-wise I've got: Alien Breed 3D II (using RTG patch + AHI), FreeSpace (my first Hyperion game), Simon the Sorcerer II, Myst, ...

Using MOS-PPC versions of: Yam, Voyager,  Quake, Mame, Bochs (PC Emulator), ScummVM, CrossfireII, FroggerNG, CED, UAE

Note: DPaint V works (it supports RTG, but I think the Animation is crippled in RTG modes)

Here's a picture of my old MOS 1.3 Ambient playing a DivX file on FroggerNG. link .  I've made a few tweaks since the 1.4 upgrade.  :-P
Steph

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2003, 06:58:38 PM »
That looks nice sdesros! :-o Makes me think about getting a peg....but I still think AROS is the way to go. Can't afford to buy new hardware.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2003, 07:46:28 PM »
Thx Targhan!!! :-P  Man, those screens look SO trick. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about OS4.0, but having a Morph box might be a better deal for me than my Amithlon box. If Bernie ever gets to re-release it in his vision, I'll probably buy it again, provided H&P isn't involved.

@Warface

I was pretty sure my timeline was a bit off, but I don't keep records of all the lies AI has spread through the years. All I was trying to say was that I may have stayed hidden in the background, but I was paying attention..

I will give McEwen credit on one thing, though. Soft Hut sent me an A1200 (The last Amiga I bought 3 years ago, in support of AI (rolling eyes)) with defective WB disks. I sent emails and called, but never heard anything. One email to McEwen got me my WB disks airmailed within a few days and a *NASTY* letter from Software Hut with the title header 'Why did you have to bring Amiga Inc in this.' It had been over a month since I had gotten the damned thing and still didn't have WB disks.

Ironically, that stock 1200 was used maybe a dozen times and sits, in it's original box, in my closet. =^\ I was planning to get a blizzard for it, but never did and with OS4.0 possibly not supporting Blizzard, it will probably end up a gift to a friend who's all about Amiga when I told him that he could play most of the old Apple games he had on his IIe, but with better sound, graphics, etc. He still can't figure out how Amiga runs a GUI on 2 megs of ram, but his XP box is slower than dirt with 256MBs of ram.

Resistance is futile. We need to assimilate AI before they do more harm than they already have.  :-?

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2003, 07:47:45 PM »
@Jetfire

IS AROS NOT TRICK!!! That's some heavy software there. I can't wait until they get a HDD installable version.   :-o

Dude, I'm such a nerd.  :-D