Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Portal 2 (branched from Crysis 2...)  (Read 1278 times)

Description:

Offline whabangTopic starter

• Show only replies by whabang
Portal 2 (branched from Crysis 2...)
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:54 AM »
Dammit, I need to try Portal 2!

How awesome is it?
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Crysis 2...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
Quote from: whabang;634515
Dammit, I need to try Portal 2!

Yes, you do.

How awesome is it?

Portal 2 delivers. It is brim full of refined win. Haven't tried the coop game yet but I am keen to :)

When I saw the teaser trailers. I wasn't sure about the new characters they've added, but actually the little management bot  "Wheatley" is quite funny and not present for quite a lot of the game (at least as much as I've played so far).

GlaDOS is back and she's fairly miffed about your having killed her but she doesn't make an appearance immediately. From what I can gather, somehow your escape in Portal 1 was not entirely successful and you were taken back. You wake up in a "suspension room", which looks like a very cheap hotel room whilst a male voice instructs you that you've been in suspension for 50 days and you are being waken as part of a mandatory physical and mental well being protocol. It's rather amusing. The "gymnastic" portion of your exam basically requires you to look at the ceiling and floor, then for your mental reinvigoration you are told to stare at an artwork on the wall (with the typical portal clock noise ticking in the background). All this is punctuated by loud irritating buzzes. The dark lab-rat comedy of the first is definitely back in abundance. After this, you have no option other than to go back to bed.

You then wake up an unknown, but presumably quite long time in the future. The same voice reports that you've been in suspension for "nine nine nine..." before breaking down and your room has clearly undergone some serious entropic decay. Then there's a knock at the door, and when you open it, you are greeted by the aforementioned maintenance bot who basically is here to break you out, along with a few comments about the shape you appear to be in. As he does so, it becomes clear that your suspension room is basically like a freight container and as he navigates it through some huge cavernous space of similar containers, bashes it around , until only the metal frame is left. In the end, he crashes it through a wall and you are in what appears to be the ceiling space above the test chamber you woke up in in the first game. Only now, the entire place is a wreck and filled with vines.

The first couple of levels are deja vu as you go through the same test chambers, but the test circuit quickly diverges. Not very far into it, you, or rather Wheatley, accidentally reboots GlaDOS. You watch as she pulls her broken parts back together in her lair and she recognises you immediately. She crushes Wheatley with a pincer and throws you down the incinerator chute. You wind up in the very bowels of the facility, where she directs you to the dual portal device. After collecting it, you are back to square one, navigating the various test chambers (all in varying states of disrepair). There are several new testing elements, such as the euphemistically entitled "thermal discouragement beam" (a high wattage laser) and "aerial faith plates", panels that throw you into the air. I haven't encountered them yet, but there's also some new thermodynamic-defying fluid substances, "propulsion gel" which thanks to some sort of anti-friction property makes you faster when running on it and "repulsion gel" that likewise increases your kinetic energy when bouncing off it. All the while, GlaDOS delivers her usual taunts only this time they appear to be a lot more personal.

Visually, the game looks a treat. The neat, clean testing chambers of old look suitably corroded and run down, with detritus everywhere, malfunctioning platforms and other signs of long abandonment. Compared to the first, the visuals also look higher definition, the models seem to be more detailed and the lighting engine seems to use that nifty soft shadow technique that's all the rage these days.

So far, I really have no complaints.
int p; // A

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »
Portal 2 was amazing. The coop mode is also extremely fun. Sometimes you have to screw your head of and on again, to think, not only what you have to do, but understand what your coop have to do to make it work, further ahead. Usually I like to be alone in the game world, but this was very fun.

I think I saw some news that DLC was scheduled for summer and at the end of the year. One hopes there will be endlessly more testing... for science...
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:29:34 PM »
I'm up to a stage in Portal 2 where it's almost like Portal meets Fallout, except it isn't retrofuturistic, just retro...

It's extremely cool :)
int p; // A