Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interview with Trevor Dickinson  (Read 11058 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Interview with Trevor Dickinson
« Reply #89 from previous page: May 13, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
People don't compare the price of computers to houses, they compare price of computers to computers....  AND in this comparison all you can say about the X1000 is FAIL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2010, 06:40:21 AM »
Quote from: persia;558149
People don't compare the price of computers to houses, they compare price of computers to computers....  AND in this comparison all you can say about the X1000 is FAIL.

It would be interesting if Dr. Schulz finishes the AROS port to EFIKA-MX now it's going into mass production (see http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2010/05/moving-to-mass-production.html ) in time for A1X1K's release date on which sells more.  $2K officially sanctioned A1X1K with OS4 or one of the OEM (apparently there are several large OEMs) EFIKA-MX based smartbooks with  (again assuming Dr. Schulz finishes it in time) AROS installed.  If I buy one of the two, I know which one I would be buying, or atleast, could afford to buy.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »
Quote from: dammy;558023
I never stipulated it had to be proprietary hardware, that's your end of this discussion.   So exactly how much research did you go into OEM costs to produce a tablet for OS4?  If Apple is selling it for around $600, it sure didn't cost that much to manufacture, they like nice profits as does the retail stores and whatever middlemen their are between Apple and the end user.

Don't disagree with what your saying dammy, if OS 4 was "ported" to x86/x64 then I'm sure somone would be able to put out a cheap pad/tab version to undercut Apples proprietry.  Just look at the Wepad (WeTab now) complete with Flash.
It wasn't my end of the discussion, at the moment it's the cold reality of the situation. OS4 <> x86, and trying to make a pad from PPC is gonna cost a mint. No research here, just basing it on the costs of a std PPC Mobo.

PS: Better stop using that fruit world or people will get upset. And sorry if I came across rude with the "stupid business plan" line.  I just re-read it and cringed.

@Karlos RE: "It is if you don't have it :-/ "  Agree, for most it will be unjustifiable, but in reality so are 7 Amigas in the back room.  I don't think 1500pounds is gouging, just the cold reality of the platform and it's lack of popularity.  AROS is fantastic and works on an affordable platform;
But it isn't Amiga OS 4.

Gertsy
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:05:42 PM by gertsy »

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
I f someone smarter tham me would come up with a piece of software or  modestly priced hardware mod that would  run Amiga OS 4.x  well(I suppose even  3.9x )on a Wii ,then I would gladly sacrifice a stock Wii in order to have a 700?MHz PPC  machine.
 $199 is much more attractive than $770 for a PPC  unit sans AmigaOS;remember you still  have to buy $150 AmigaOS4  in addition to price of SAM.
  I had hopes for the Amiga Forever Wii but nothing new seen of it for many months.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
That's interesting, what is the cost of the Efika_MX smartbooks?

Quote from: dammy;558179
It would be interesting if Dr. Schulz finishes the AROS port to EFIKA-MX now it's going into mass production (see http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2010/05/moving-to-mass-production.html ) in time for A1X1K's release date on which sells more.  $2K officially sanctioned A1X1K with OS4 or one of the OEM (apparently there are several large OEMs) EFIKA-MX based smartbooks with  (again assuming Dr. Schulz finishes it in time) AROS installed.  If I buy one of the two, I know which one I would be buying, or atleast, could afford to buy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline pkivolowitz

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2010, 05:39:16 AM »
We can best assess the business viability of the thing if we can answer two questions:

1) What does the Amiga OS do better than any other.

2) What does the new board do better than any other.

Both of these questions had obvious answers for the original Amiga at the time of its launch.

Answer these two questions and the best markets to apply the new box to should become apparent.

Personally, I believe the described equipment is already obsolete. Unless the programmable silicon is uber-cool question 2 will have no answer and the thing will die.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2010, 03:54:11 AM »
Umm well for the internet generation, one thing you can do on OS4 is make sure when you reboot your machine is cleared of any crap malware/spyware/virus that may have got through. Compare this to Windows PCs where every second you are on the internet your OS is slowly killed at the mere whiff of a TCP/IP connection. Win7 is so broken (as in still hasn't fixed basic issues since XP) regarding this that I laugh my head off at so called experts who endorse Win7.

Going back to Wii + OS4...are you crazy? The Wii is a mildly breathed on Gamecube with some $150 rubbish woolly controllers and the CPU is pathetic, worse than SAM. It's a great time for non OS-specific fun technically with A/V codecs/Flash/Java. You don't need to actually own a Windows machine at all anymore, or blow your cash on those pathetic overpriced Apple jokes. If ever there was a time people wanted an alternative to Windows (and actually don't like Apple computers/OS) it is now. Rumours of IBM and OS/2 and Goolgle with their joke of an OS Chrome, which is a massive FAIL, show just how fractured the market will be. We need the equivalent of an high quality/equally price superior machine just like in the car world you don't need to have a Ford badge, you can spend the same cash and get a far superior car from Germany. Same with computers today. Nobody cares if there is a Microsoft logo on boot up, never have never will. They have it as they are trying to fix the shortcomings of the previous release of Microshit on their machine or they have no choice. Note to Apple, add a bloody second mouse button too.

All those stupid idiots at Amiga Inc had to do was ring up Sony and negotiate getting OS4 onto the PS3. Yellow Dog Linux is utter crap. So Simple. A no brainer. And they might even be here today, but they are idiots and the opportunity was lost probably for the last time to get Amiga back as a mass market machine. Hell they could have done a special white version of the PS3 with an Amiga logo for not much money at all later on...with a branded keyboard and mouse.

$300/400 for a massively powerful CPU/GPU with some exotic Blu-Ray decoding...could you really have asked for a better basis for a new Amiga in 2007? No you couldn't!

And CELL port of OS4 would be a lot quicker than x86 or x86-64bit.

Having said that X-1000 is not a mass market machine and therefore it will never be 'value for money' you have to accept that. Had AmigaONE been around in slightly bigger numbers I would have bought one of those at the start just to run OS4. It all went pear shaped when there was an OS completed but no hardware to run it on! Only the Amiga IP owners make that possible to paraphrase an old saying ;)