Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Review of AmigaOS 4.1.1 / Interview with Simon Archer  (Read 7378 times)

Description:

Offline djmartins

• Show only replies by djmartins
Re: Review of AmigaOS 4.1.1 / Interview with Simon Archer
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 07, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
Quote from: Tomas;545733
There are plenty of 4.1 owners who did not like this comments. I am one of those as well...

There aren't all that many actual customers for new Amiga hardware.
There certainly isn't 10,000 of them.
Maybe 1,000?
I found his comments totally amusing as a good example of an arrogant idiot at a company that is doomed to failure because of their attitude.
It is pretty easy to turn off the few people left who CARE about the Amiga.

regards,
DJ

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »
Yep, why should anyone stay when you have to deal with attitude like that?

Quote from: djmartins;546558
There aren't all that many actual customers for new Amiga hardware.
There certainly isn't 10,000 of them.
Maybe 1,000?
I found his comments totally amusing as a good example of an arrogant idiot at a company that is doomed to failure because of their attitude.
It is pretty easy to turn off the few people left who CARE about the Amiga.

regards,
DJ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »
I dunno... his comments aren't enough to "drive me away." They just make me laugh. What keeps me around is simple nostalgia; a great computer for its time and excellent memories of those times. What keeps me from coming back, OTOH, is the cost to participate, especially if it's only for nostalgia's sake. Which is why I'm in the AROS x86 camp. The price is worth the memories...

That said, grow the market, and it might be worth more to me than just memories...
Ed.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2010, 01:40:04 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;545515
...But you can only have this IF you can get hardware into the hands of enough people. Given the current state of Amiga, the best solution is an inexpensive one; the lower the price, the more willing people might be to give it a try again. Just as Amigans were once unwilling to leave their platform because of all the money they had invested in it, now many are unwilling to move back because of all the money they would have to invest in it. So, the only way you might ever have a thriving market again, is to lower the cost to entry. A higher price only guarantees that people will stay away and the X1000, with a higher price and an uncertain future guarantees that all but the most faithful will stay away.

ahh yes valid counterpoint but it's a catch 22 situation my friend :-)....MOS is available for MAC MINI'S but I don't see the masses running to buy used mac minis and AROS is free with great recent development but they are struggling to attract ex-Amigans never mind the masses...we are a niche market and, in a way, have always been
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
Very true, klx300r -- may I call you "klx?" :) -- so the question is, what niche does the Amiga best fit these days? And that answer is pretty simple: nostalgia. That is the market that is most likely to generate the most revenues and allow it to expand, not some expensive and doubtful architecture in an already mature and crowded industry.

As to MOS, well, I'm more likely to buy it than OS 4.1 because the cost is much less. But, then again, I'm also more likely to wait for the PowerMac G4 version, since those are even cheaper.

Regarding AROS, well, the box I'm typing on runs Win7, OS X, Linux, Amiga on Linux and AROS and it didn't cost me a huge amount of smackeroos just to get any one of them. As to people running to it, well, AROS is still a bit rough around the edges, so, no, I don't see people "running" to it just yet. But I do watch the development of the iMica and the AresOne with interest.

To be honest, though, AROS suffers from the same problem that most open source software does: always behind everyone else and in AROS' case, WAY behind everyone else. Which is why I'd love to see a professionally developed version available and why I'd like to see OS 4.1 on x86 and why I watched Anubis with interest. (It's a shame that it appears to be stillborn.) But as long as Hyperion remains fixated on PPC, I'm not spending my hard earned money on it, not solely for nostalgia's sake.

First rule of business: understand your niche and exploit it. Hyperion doesn't seem to know it. Instead, they're selling to the religious, not to the regular guy. I believe this is a dead end.
Ed.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;549933

First rule of business: understand your niche and exploit it. Hyperion doesn't seem to know it. Instead, they're selling to the religious, not to the regular guy. I believe this is a dead end.

I disagree, I just think you are not part of the niche Hyperion is targeting.
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »
Yes, Staf, I believe I said that, so I'm not really sure how you are disagreeing since my point was that I think they are targeting the wrong niche. The one that isn't going to generate a lot of revenue.
Ed.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:03 PM »
Yes, it's obvious they are targeting the wrong niche, few would disagree with that, but what is the right niche????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 05:25:57 AM »
As I stated above, I think the best niche is the nostalgia niche. It stands to bring in the most customer if the price is right. If they get enough customers, they might be able to exploit other niches. Start simple, build from there...
Ed.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;550121
As I stated above, I think the best niche is the nostalgia niche.

I think the problem with 'nostalgia niche' is that it is not long lasting. IMO the best you can do is have a big one-time hit like the C64DTV.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
Then you're thinking too small, Staf.

A market niche can start in one place and move somewhere else. This is why I've used terms in my argument like "exploit," "Start simple, build from there" and "grow the market."

And Hyperion has a better chance of growing if they do just that. Going straight to the X1000 likely isn't going to result in a large increase in their user base. I could be wrong, but in the absence of any other facts, I doubt it.
Ed.