Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Review of AmigaOS 4.1.1 / Interview with Simon Archer  (Read 7380 times)

Description:

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Re: Review of AmigaOS 4.1.1 / Interview with Simon Archer
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 05:13:33 AM »
@ Hans

Sorry, Hans, but it doesn't matter if he represents Hyperion or not. What he does represent is the current problem with the Amiga community. Amigan's would like a product they can get there hands on, but Gateway, McEwen Inc. and now Hyperion have all delivered something they don't want, can't afford or feel is the wrong direction... and they're immature for complaining?

I'm not offended. I'm amused, and my post was a bit of satire. You want Amigan's to stop complaining? Then give them something they can get their hands on, but to mischaracterize it as "immaturity" completely misses the point.

"You must be at least 6 foot 10 inches to enjoy this ride."

"But that eliminates most of us! How are you gonna pay for its upkeep?"

"What? Bah! Get out of here you immature fool!"

If you build it, they will only come if they want it... McEwen Inc. proved that. When is Hyperion going to "get it?"

Ed.
Ed.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 05:23:27 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;544788
@ Hans

Sorry, Hans, but it doesn't matter if he represents Hyperion or not. What he does represent is the current problem with the Amiga community. Amigan's would like a product they can get there hands on, but Gateway, McEwen Inc. and now Hyperion have all delivered something they don't want, can't afford or feel is the wrong direction... and they're immature for complaining?

I'm not offended. I'm amused, and my post was a bit of satire. You want Amigan's to stop complaining? Then give them something they can get their hands on, but to mischaracterize it as "immaturity" completely misses the point.

"You must be at least 6 foot 10 inches to enjoy this ride."

"But that eliminates most of us! How are you gonna pay for its upkeep?"

"What? Bah! Get out of here you immature fool!"

If you build it, they will only come if they want it... McEwen Inc. proved that. When is Hyperion going to "get it?"

Ed.

What exactly is wrong with what Hyperion has so far produced?  What do you want?  In a perfect world, what Amiga product (software or hardware) would you want?

There are so many choices out there today (stay with Classic, use an Emulator, use AROS, MiniMig, use OS 4.x, use MorphOS)...I don't really understand your frustrations here.  You can put aside Amiga Inc. and I agree with you there - they never delivered anything and were a big waste of time and money.  But Hyperion and the others (AROS, emulation, and MorphOS teams) have all delivered.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:27:20 AM by HammerD »
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »
As far as I can tell its really only a handfull of people that really complains. And to my knowlegde, its just a handfull of people. The rest mostly say nothing. Speaking for myself, its really not that great being enthustiastic about something, writing about it in various forums, just to be called "dumb".

Some people will keep complaining as long as AOS is not x86 and just another MS clone. :(

Offline Trezzer

• Show only replies by Trezzer
    • http://www.amiga.dk
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »
I don't think there's any reason for the bluntness in some of the answers.

I think most of us understand that things take time and money.

Some also ought to understand that there is a *healthy* skepticism in this community today.

In my opinion it's not healthy that people on both sides of the fence (user/developer) start painting themselves into corners that they can't get out of. One is useless without the other - or at least has very little fun.

It's only fair that potential users are skeptical till they can touch the X1000 and have seen the price tag. It's also totally fair that developers are tired of hearing negative things all the time.

I guess that's why companies have community managers to interact with the crowd instead of developers themselves. It's too easy to get carried away and come off as a primadonna even though you're trying to be pragmatic and practical, when you're actively involved in something and have put a lot of hours into things.

I'm sure both sides of the fence are fully familiar with what it's been like being an Amiga user for the last 15 years, so let's just leave it at that.

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 01:49:34 PM »
I won't complain. I already moved on.
But to tell the truth, if that interview would have been from an AROS coder I would have been a little pissed off. OS4 doesn't benefit one ounce from putting more fuel to the fire.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;544696
Huh, what a negative vibe I got from that interview...

This is the kind of stuff that made me think twice if I should keep my 4.1 system last year. Sold it because I want Amiga to be a positive thing, not a negative vibration of blame.

Other then the elitist attitude, I did pick up on a sense of futility in his statements.  If AmigaOne X1000 sales only reach low to mid three digits, one has to question the economic viability of the OS4 market. I have my doubts, and I think he does as well.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
This guy interviewed have left other negative comments about "the community" on aw.net before and I am still fascinated he mentions it in a negative way again.

What are we? a bunch of stereotype faceless Windows idiots running office apps all day long and thinking about how nice Vista is?

No, we are Amigans (may come as a surprise?), some of us been with this computer 25 years and actually wants it back.

Should we should just sit quiet and accept obscure hardware with a smile just because it runs the true arian blonde/blue-eyed AmigaOS built from the core holy grail of AmigaOS?! F"k it, it isnt even called Workbench any more.

I thought modern Amiga was about replacing PC desktops with Amiga, and having a blast while doing it!
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
Quote from: dammy;544867
Other then the elitist attitude, I did pick up on a sense of futility in his statements.  If AmigaOne X1000 sales only reach low to mid three digits, one has to question the economic viability of the OS4 market. I have my doubts, and I think he does as well.

Yeah, I actually think X1000 will sell well (as in 'well' in the Amiga market). I think many old Aone owners will buy one to replace their old systems.

(and in a parallell universe, yesterday AmigaOS 4.2 was released for the Acer Aspire One for 99 euro).
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 03:31:31 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;544872
Yeah, I actually think X1000 will sell well (as in 'well' in the Amiga market). I think many old Aone owners will buy one to replace their old systems.

I'm sure some A1 owners will, but it's different times of when they bought the A1s.  Long has the economic good times gone by as hopes of being apart of a major Amiga revival the A1 had to offer. Today, we are staring at a lost decade of economics before us and the hopes of so many years ago have been dampened by reality of a ever evolving computer market that has clearly gone mobile.  I don't see a grossly expensive status symbol of yesteryear being able to sell that well in 2010.  YMMV
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline kolla

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;544725
If you put a huge amount of effort into something, and no matter what you do, elements of the community that it's for rip it to shreds for no good reason.

I only rip it into shreads for very good reasons, no idea what you're referring to here.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline kolla

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »
Quote from: yssing;544810
As far as I can tell its really only a handfull of people that really complains. And to my knowlegde, its just a handfull of people. The rest mostly say nothing. Speaking for myself, its really not that great being enthustiastic about something, writing about it in various forums, just to be called "dumb".

So to your knowledge a handfull of people is a handfull of people - and they call you dumb? How rude! :laughing:
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »
I'm reminded of a IIgs developer who replaced his webpage with a diatribe on how the unworthy community didn't desrve his work and informed everyone that he had destroyed all copies of programming tools and info  for the platform.

If someone really despises the people who are supposed to benefit from one's work maybe it is better just to leave and find more satifying and better-paid work.

In my opinion,the Aeon1000 teasers were a very bad idea;nothing should have been publicized until product was ready.Amiga users are sick unto death of vaporware like the SharkPPC cards.

And like it or not,barring some yet unforseen new super app that runs only on Amiga,the Amiga is nothing more than another hobbyist system with no relevance to today's business,education ,home or scientific markets.

You  could build a new run of Model T cars but only a few would buy one;an Amiga that doesn't have ALL the desireable features of today's offerings of the WindowsMac world AND at a significantly lower cost is doomed to obscurity.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
How sad. this very thread I think proves his point.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
He should do interviews he only antagonises the crowd.  Nobody forced him to be interviewed.  He comes off smug and arrogant, yet he wants people to buy his product.  Why should I?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 11:26:34 PM »
An AmigaOS laptop would make a lot of success, even a PDA as it would be something that all already existing Amiga owners would still buy. Even some non current Amiga owners probably would.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 25, 2010, 02:35:37 AM »
guys I really don't understand the negativity here?  Rigo has done great things for OS4 (AmiUpdate, CodeBench, Update 1 work etc.) ..sheesh give the guy a break..we all have bad days!
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: