Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ACube and A-EON announce One Vision on future Amiga co-operation  (Read 9469 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

a joint co-operation agreement to promote the continued development of hardware and software

Yet they haven't contributed that much to the Odyssey bounty which would make their platforms more desirable should it be open-sourced and ported.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

Re: ACube and A-EON announce One Vision on future Amiga co-operation
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:35:30 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;754489

Is that uniform only for the High Priests of AmigaOS or can the laymen wear it too? ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
What does the ARM CPU on the Minimig+ do?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »
Quote from: Rob;754515
Probably the same features as the Arm board on the standard Minimig.

and what does the ARM CPU on the standard Minimig do?

I thought it was all done in the FPGA but it seems not. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
Cheers Rob. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Quote from: Templario;754519
Well news, and I hope that we are enjoy from this union good Amiga machines a good prices.

Good prices are usually the result of increased competition rather than reduced competition.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 05:55:02 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;754530
Acube and A-Eon were never competing anyway, and Trevor has more than demonstrated that he's not profiteering off his machines with his X1000 release (which has a very high price tag for the user, but also a very high price tag for Trevor - he's definitely not getting rich off that - if he were profiteering production would have stopped after the first run when the price of the PA6T CPUs rocketed.)

Either way prices are still going to be high as usual.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 03:00:44 PM »
I wonder why Trevor didn't keep the money in the community and ask bPlan or even Acube to design and build the X1000 or the new board either?  I'm sure either company would have loved the business and they certainly know a tad more about Amigas than Varisys.  Probably would have been cheaper too.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:35:32 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;754659
I'm as assembly guy and I think the PPC is a horrid ISA... A quick look at MIPS and ARM show you how an instruction set is supposed to be done :)

Heresy! :)

ISA's were perfected when Motorola designed the 68000.

I think it was you Matt that once said that AMD should have "Athlonized" the 68k and not the 386.

I couldn't agree more with that statement.

Now where did I put my pipe and slippers?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;754665
True story! I saw one last night for the first time, it was pretty amazing, if I had a few $ grand blowing a hole in my pocket I'd love to have one!  :D

I'd love one just for the nerd factor but I've got too many kids to justify spending that amount on a computer.

OS4.1 on my Pegasos II is enough for me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;754705
Definitely sounds like something I would have said, a search on this forum will provide evidence :)

I think Athlonising the 68k would have been amazing, but it would have lead to similar problems that both intel and AMD have now... Lovely computing performance but at a terrible thermal and electrical cost :(

Though it would have given us a solid platform for development... Look at the new ARM v8 ISA, it's actually a bit nasty compared to the ARM v7, but it was developed after analyzing real code output from compilers and seeing how to get serious performance in a low energy budget :)

-edit- Forgot to mention that I have an ARM v8 chip here, and it is something else in performance... In a phone too!!! :-D

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=478005&postcount=10 :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;754719
I think everyone that is likely to leave fled long ago.

And the problem marketing new solutions to the diehards is that its never going to have hardware compatibility.
Even the directions the Amiga would have taken had it survived would not have preserved that.
So, a few of us have moved to MorphOS, and eventually that will morph again shedding its compatibility.
Amiga OS4 users can straggle on pretending they are still using an Amiga.
And AROS users can live comfortably acknowledging what many deny, that your best Amiga platform is a PC.

I'd add that the best Amiga platform is a PC with Amithlon Jim.

Hopefully ARIX can fill the same shoes and more.