Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deneb - Mouse Available on Boot  (Read 2128 times)

Description:

Offline jiffydosTopic starter

• Show only replies by jiffydos
    • http://www.mecnet.net
Deneb - Mouse Available on Boot
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
Hi All,

I have my deneb with the user flash rom and I am trying to get my usb mouse to work on boot so I can hold down the two mouse buttons and get the kickstart boot menu.  I am also trying to get my system to boot off my usb thumb drive.  

After much experimenting and help from Chris of Poseidon fame, Chris from amigakit.com, and this forum, I finally have a working system where the flasmrom starts the usb stack and everything works with a fully patched system once I get to workbench booting of my ide HD.  Here is what is in my flash:

NoCaches (from Chris/Poseidon - disables CPU cache initially so poseidon will load correctly)
poseidon.library
psdstackloader
hid.class
hub.class
bootmouse.class
bootkeyboard.class
massstorage.class
asixeth.class (I have this USB ethernet)

also, from boingbag 1,2,3 and 4:
scsi.device
bootmenu
icon.library
ram-handler
workbench.library
exec.library
filesystem.resource
fastfilesystem
shell
input.device
intiution.library

There isn't much of relevance in my startup-sequence or user-startup.  I do not re-load poseidon with a psdstackloader.  The only things in my startup-sequence related to this are:

setpatch NOROMUPDATE
C:cpu CACHE

This is to turn on the CPU cache right away and to get setpatch installed without loading any rom updates.

Anyone else gotten to this point but still having trouble with or know how to get the keyboard and mouse to work in early startup?

Thanks!

Offline HammerD

Re: Deneb - Mouse Available on Boot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
Quote from: jiffydos;616141
Hi All,

I have my deneb with the user flash rom and I am trying to get my usb mouse to work on boot so I can hold down the two mouse buttons and get the kickstart boot menu.  I am also trying to get my system to boot off my usb thumb drive.  

After much experimenting and help from Chris of Poseidon fame, Chris from amigakit.com, and this forum, I finally have a working system where the flasmrom starts the usb stack and everything works with a fully patched system once I get to workbench booting of my ide HD.  Here is what is in my flash:

NoCaches (from Chris/Poseidon - disables CPU cache initially so poseidon will load correctly)
poseidon.library
psdstackloader
hid.class
hub.class
bootmouse.class
bootkeyboard.class
massstorage.class
asixeth.class (I have this USB ethernet)

also, from boingbag 1,2,3 and 4:
scsi.device
bootmenu
icon.library
ram-handler
workbench.library
exec.library
filesystem.resource
fastfilesystem
shell
input.device
intiution.library

There isn't much of relevance in my startup-sequence or user-startup.  I do not re-load poseidon with a psdstackloader.  The only things in my startup-sequence related to this are:

setpatch NOROMUPDATE
C:cpu CACHE

This is to turn on the CPU cache right away and to get setpatch installed without loading any rom updates.

Anyone else gotten to this point but still having trouble with or know how to get the keyboard and mouse to work in early startup?

Thanks!

I've got a usb mouse working at early startup just with the poseidon stack and nothing else in the Deneb flash, but I think the mouse buttons don't initially work to bring up the early startup, I use a normal amiga mouse for that, but I've never actually tried to use both USB mouse buttons...but the mouse does work once I'm in early startup.

I don't have the nocaches because I think that is only required for some cpu cards or configurations.  What cpu card do you have?
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline jiffydosTopic starter

• Show only replies by jiffydos
    • http://www.mecnet.net
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »
I have a completely stock A4000D with a 3.0 A3640 and 16MB of fastram through the on-board sims.  

In this case, I only have the Deneb installed in the machine, and an IndivisionAGA.  Otherwise, no add-ons at all except the ide HD I boot off of.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
What bootloader are you using in Luciferin? The default one disables the FlashROM when holding down the left mouse button. You need to either wait until the Flash modules are loaded in (some green screen flashes) before holding the buttons down to reach the early boot menu, or use a more dangerous bootloader that can't be disabled (not recommended!).

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;616153
I've got a usb mouse working at early startup just with the poseidon stack and nothing else in the Deneb flash, but I think the mouse buttons don't initially work to bring up the early startup, I use a normal amiga mouse for that, but I've never actually tried to use both USB mouse buttons...but the mouse does work once I'm in early startup.

If you use bootmenu of OS 3.9 BB2 and the new input.device, the mouse buttons of a USB mouse will work to enter the boot menu. I think with the BB2 bootmenu, there is also a key on the keyboard that can be used to enter it, but I can't remember which one (Escape?).

It is correct that pressing the LMB on the Amiga mouse will cancel the bootloader in default configuration -- pressing the mouse buttons of a USB mouse will not (how could they?). There is also a bootloader that can be aborted using the middle mouse button to avoid the conflict with the LMB and RMB. Also note that the flashrom can always be disabled using the ROM-OFF jumper (or other methods, depending on your firmware revision) regardless of which bootloader you install.

So, your list of files in flashrom looks good to me. Finally remember that there is no harm done running PsdStackloader in startup-sequence. With later versions (I think since V4.x), the hardware only goes offline/online, if the configuration does not match (e.g. different device). USB classes are also only unloaded, if they cannot be found in the new config.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:53 PM »
Quote from: jiffydos;616141
Hi All,

Thanks!

This may help me, Where can I get the "NoCaches" ? Looked on Chris's site, don't see it. Would it be possible to identify, out of these which came from which boing bag?

Thanks for sharing

EDIT, found them for older post ....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:03:48 AM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +