Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 290781 times)

Description:

Offline bubbob42

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
As Thomas said, this product is an upgrade to OS3.1.4, not 3.9, for many reasons. We'll supply a rather lengthy FAQ, which will also cover that topic, so I won't go into detail here.

But I'd like to emphasize one thing: You can spend all day to discuss whether this thing is worth the trouble, waste of time and energy, complain about things OS3.9 did better 18 years ago, etc.. Or not.

What you'll get is what's possible under the circumstances. There has been no alternative, no "better", "future-proof" approach. Lot's of "DOs": We couldn't do more. It was either do or don't. Maybe someone could have done better, but he did not. Let's leave it at that. ;)

So, now you have another *option* to build your own system, nothing more. The glass is half full - why not have a sip? You may even like the taste. :)

The following users thanked this post: Tygre

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
IMHO mixing OS 3.9 and 3.1.4 is not a good idea. It's for version-number-junkies only.

You forget the updated shell commands which have been updated to tolerate long filenames and large harddisks, among other bugfixes. Or the printer stuff.

I'd recommend updating almost everything, except for the prefs maybe. Those have been overhauled to offer just the functions of their 3.9 counterparts, except for using GadTools instead of ReAction. And even that might change in the future.

Offline bubbob42

Available now: AmigaOS 3.1.4
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:14:33 PM »
It's done - you can now buy AmigaOS 3.1.4.

This product is based on OS3.1, but many components are more advanced than their OS 3.9 counterparts. More than 200 bugs have been fixed. Support for large media has been integrated into the system--no more hassle with small boot partitions. We'll post more details in the days to come.

The system is sold as digital download for now. The package includes ADFs of the classic six OS disks and a model-specific module disk. The latter allows for installation of 3.1.4 together with older V40.x Commodore, AmigaTechnologies or Hyperion ROMs. We didn't test Cloanto ROMs, but they might work.

In the package you'll also find two variants of ROM-images: .bin-format files for those who'd like to burn the ROM(s) themselves and also a single ROMImage file, which can be used with MapROM or emulation. The latter is needed for Vampire cards as well. If you're using the ROM, you won't need the module disk at all. On the disks you'll also find an upgraded intuition.library (V45). It's currently not CyberGfx-compatible, though we tried our best. You can activate it using LoadModule and it’ll allow you to move windows across the screen's borders.

After some delay you'll be able to buy a bundle containing a physical ROM and a set of disks from dealers. This will always include the digital download.

You'll need different bundles for A500/A600/A2000 or A1200, A3000, A4000D and A4000T.

We recommend the A1200 bundle for Vampire owners. Please note that Hyperion cannot offer any support when using the OS with the Vampire, since it's a system evolving constantly. Please check the ApolloTeam website for more information. I'd like to emphasize that we had a very productive and pleasant cooperation.

The system requirements: 68000, 2MB of RAM.

A new and exclusive icon GlowIcon set done by Masion is included on the storage disk. We'll supply more icons in this style later. By default, reworked classic icons with four colours will be installed.

Buy it here:

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.co...88-amigaos-314

Attached are a few screenshots - we hope you'll enjoy the product! :)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:38:05 PM by bubbob42 »

The following users thanked this post: giZmo350

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »
@bubbob42

Would you please do something about the facebook page.

Sorry - I'm neither representing Hyperion nor am I part of Hyperion. Just a developer posting information because Hyperion cannot look after every forum.

The Facebook page will surely get an update in the next few days.

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »
"or for which a legitimate version of AmigaOS was or is available."

Come on kolla, which OS did you use before on the Minimig? AtariTOS? Stop nitpicking, consider it as an A500 and use the package. How would you be able to write more rants if you don't have first hand experience of the thing? :D

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
Don't feed the troll. He'll go away if you leave him alone.

But he's such a cute bear, so hard to ignore. :D

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:39:13 PM »
Now, and for my question - I happen to have a CD32, and with a bit of luck I'll have a CDTV sometime in the near future, too. Are there any plans to bring these platforms on par with the rest of the MC680x0-based AmigaOS systems?

We left both machines out because we lacked resources (developers) and had to focus our efforts. I own two CDTVs myself (one with upgraded bootroms) and a CD32, but never had the the time to even try 3.1.4 ROMs with either of them. If a buyer reports an A500 ROM working fine with a CDTV, I'll be the first (ok, second ;) ) to cheer.

Just assume we're interested in supporting these machines in the future. The status of the CD32's material is bit uncertain, though. At the end of the Commodore era, some bits and pieces may have gone missing. So no promise here, just willingness.

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
Ah, our friend again.

* The Norwegian locales are horrid. Not the original CBM ones, but all locales that are new look like they are written by someone with seriously lacking knowledge about the Norwegian language.

I'm pretty confident that our native norwegian translator will take suggestions. Just make sure to keep the length limits.

* The Reboot command is still not installed, why oh why not.

If this issue is so dear to you, I might consider it for the next update. Who could resist that bear?

* Cool to see Ed using current console window

Try to delete a line using del-key. So many little things which should have been done ages ago spread all over the OS.

* Apparently random use of (redundant) full path to programs in startup-sequence, C:SetPatch instead of just "SetPatch", while BindDrivers gets to be left without C: in front of it.

And your point is?

* Where are the new icons? Are they not part of the release for A1000/A500/A600/A2000?

You missed that, how could you! Posted in three forums and sure soon part of Hyperion AmigaOS3.1.4 FAQ on the website.

Btw.: How's your web-based ROM generator coming along?

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
Another thing I noticed...
* Serial Prefs still tops at "MIDI speed".

Yes, this was actually different half a year ago. However, Thomas suspected that this setting would be deeply ingrained into relicts of OS1.3 system prefs structures which are still in use, so simply changing the gadget did not suffice. And - as usual - he was right. We'll dig up this pit later.

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
Both file systems have their advantages and drawbacks. It’s a matter of use case and taste.

Toni added support for HDToolbox’s new direct scsi setting in PFS3, btw.

Edit: And he repaired it for his latest release
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:40:35 PM by bubbob42 »

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »
Danish and swedish are currently being prepared.

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
Please use the “classic” subforum for now.

Hyperion has a support forum.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz

yes, i know that. that's the same site i pointed to. what i asked was if -- on that site -- hyperion was planning on adding a new forum to address support questions/issues for OS 3.1.4.

-- eliyahu

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
But I still think this is mainly about stopping Vampire users pirating core OS elements for VampireOS and instead encourage them to pay Hyperion for the pleasure.

Do you really think we wasted thousands of hours of spare time to achieve just that? Especially when we started long before any Vampire/coffin/whateverOS surfaced? Ask yourself: Would this motivate you?

I cannot follow your thoughts, honestly. Especially when you don't have to buy anything and could just enjoy OS3.9. :)

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »
They built the Eiffel tower to investigate how well the corrosion-proof coating of the cast-iron tower endures the harsh conditions at 320m elevation, near its tip, didn't they? ;)

You're not being supportive! :D

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »
Just checking that it won't further fragment development resources etc.

On the contrary - our goal has always been to unite our resources with other developers'. That's the only reason why the Vampire supported 3.1.4 even before release. And not some tin foil hat conspiracy about Hyperion trying to rip off Vampire users, I'm afraid.

So, the truth may be a bit boring, but at least gratifying. :)