Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where to buy AllegroCDFS?  (Read 1688 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Where to buy AllegroCDFS?
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:58:34 AM »
I installed an IDE DVD-RW drive via an Acard SCSI-IDE adapter.  Of course, I have no UDF support, but I read that AllegroCDFS does.  However, I cannot find this product anywhere by itself (AmigaKit has it with an IDE adapter.)

So, where can I find AllegroCDFS by itself?

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
Re: Where to buy AllegroCDFS?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »
Do you really need UDF support? AllegroCDFS's UDF support is only really for discs containing soley the UDF file system.

All other CDFS will read DVD-ROM disks which are formatted in the UDF/ISO9660 bridge format (i.e. 99.99% of them)

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
AllegroCDFS needs a piece of Elbox hardware as a dongle. If you have such, you can download it for free from http://www.elbox.com/downloads.html

But as Alexh wrote, its UDF support is practically non-existant. Most DVDs with UDF have also an ISO file system and if so, AllegroCDFS fails to read the data in the same way as any other CD file system.

To say is positively, most DVDs up to 4GB can be read by every CD file system.

Don't mix up UDF with packet-writing. Neither AllegroCDFS nor any other CD file system can read data from a DVD+/-RW which is formatted as a random access disk.

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:27:03 PM »
I need UDF support.  But if I need a piece of Elbox hardware to use AllegroCDFS, then I may be SOL.

I appreciate the info!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:38:06 PM by LoadWB »

Offline nicholas

Where to buy AllegroCDFS?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;625686
I need UDF support.  But if I need a piece of Elbox hardware to use AllegroCDFS, then I may be SOL.

I appreciate the info!

I wonder if the AROS dvd filesystem supports UDF?

It might be worth asking Jason or Toni about how to get the 68k binary to work on 3.x
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
I've been using AllgroCDFS for years on my Amiga's with the FastATA MKIII buffered interface boards (which as has been said you really need or the 4xEIDE in order to use it).

I've never had the need to make any UDF disks though but if you're just needing to use the full space on a 4.7GB DVD (+R, -R, +RW, -RW) then AllegroCDFS will easily allow you to burn such disks on your Amiga. It's really useful for those things where 4GB is just not enough to store things on and you need that extra few hundred MB of data space over the 4GB to burn a disk... :)

For instance right now playing on my iMac here is a DVD full of my MP3s which is 4.38GB in size and burned on my A1200 it's in ISO 9660 (rockridge) format... :)

I wrote some cli/shell utils for burning/ripping DVDs on an A1200 a while back for use with my FastATA and AllegroCDFS which are available on Aminet  (030 at least recommended) Im not sure what/if they work on any other set ups or DVD/CD filesystems, as I only have A1200s these days to test them on... :)

The utils are easy to use but can't I can't guarantee they will work on everyones set up as they were really only written for my own private use and A1200 set up... :)

Probably not what you were looking for (as I say I've never had to use UDF myself) but maybe worth a look if you're just needing to use all the available space on a  4.7GB DVD (PS:If you have OS4.0 then the excellent AmiDVD is the best DVD burning prog on the Amiga in my opinion)... :)

ADVDutils On AmiNet