Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Considering selling the Walker  (Read 14162 times)

Description:

Offline Pentad

Re: Considering selling the Walker
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;608811
Maybe someone is interested in making public:

-a copy of the kicktart roms
-a copy of the workbench 3.2 install
-a WinUAE kind of hardware profile
-documenting it entirely
-fixing what remains to be fixed
-sending it to a computer museum that can adequately exhibit and take care of the machine, so that the entire Amiga community may be able to see it, someday.

I can easily put a $20 donation towards a community goal for something along those lines.

I agree with Gulliver.   Documenting this is really essential since the physical machine could easily be lost, stolen or destroyed (fire, flood, etc..).

A copy of the Kickstart ROM and Workbench disks would also be very nice for reference.  I -personally- would be interested in looking at the Kickstart code to see what subtle changes they made.

As Gulliver pointed out, I'm sure Toni would be interested as well since implementing this in WineUAE is very possible.

Finally, given the fanatical nature of the Amiga community I'm shocked that nobody has this working.   I read posts where community members are ashamed to be seen in public because their Buster chip is not at the latest revision and yet this relic sits un-bootable.  

I hope that whomever purchases this will actually do something with it towards furthering the Amiga Archives and History.  No offense to the OP but there is so much more that could be done than letting sit on a shelf.

Perhaps the Amiga.org community or a group of folks here should pool their money and purchase it?

It would ensure that its properly documented, archives of Kickstart and Workbench could be made, and then an attempt to fix whatever system/boot issues it has could be addressed.

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE