Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Considering selling the Walker  (Read 14084 times)

Description:

Offline minatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
Considering selling the Walker
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »
I am seriously considering selling the Walker.

In case you don't know it is this machine:
http://www.blachford.info/computer/walker/walker.html

The Walker is the very last of the classic machines, it is a prototype made 15 years ago during the Amiga Technologies years.

This is pretty much the ultimate collectable Amiga, the only Amiga with the "Toni" custom chip (FPGA actually) and Kickstart/Workbench 3.2.

I bought it because I wanted to ensure it'd be looked after.  It's got a very flimsy case and it'll easily break.  I also got it for it's rarity value - there are only 2 Walkers in existence.

The case is still in the condition I got it in but as far as I'm aware it *probably* does not work any more.  That said when it did work it didn't work very well - it was damn near impossible to get it to boot and it's slow and temperamental when it did.  It can't access the floppy or CD so getting data in or out requires dismantling it!  It is however a prototype so this is only to be expected.

Even if it would boot the boot drive is currently unbootable after Windows wrote over the RDB.  I do have instruction on how to fix this but never got around to doing it.  I do have a copy of the data from the HD though.

It's nice to have but I don't do anything with it, I'm not really a collector so it's not that important for me to own.  OTOH I know it's worth quite a bit and I happen to be currently eyeing up an Alesis Andromeda synth.

So, I'm thinking of selling it.  I'll most likely put it on eBay but I thought I'd let you lot know first.

IF I sell it it will be *collect only*, Posting it anywhere is likely to destroy the case unless it's packed very, very carefully.  I bought it to protect it remember!

...that said I live very close to a train station which goes directly to the London Euro star terminal.

So, anyone interested?  or have an Andromeda they'd like to swap...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:10:17 AM by minator »

Offline Tension

Re: Considering selling the Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
keep it!!! it'll get destroyed if u sell it mate.

Offline Tension

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
get the andromeda as well though!! nice bit of kit!!

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »
Someone like Trevor Dickinson might be interested, you'll know it will be preserved and not sold on.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
Why do I get the feeling I'm going be in a bidding war with tever :)

I would like to own that bit of Amiga history. Its a shame that it was never produce, even if it looked weird I liked it.

Offline Templario

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:16 PM »
Placed one Sam Board and you will have one New Walker!
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
I would be interested :D
Dunno what a Walker is worth (like you say they dont exactly come up much) but it would go great next to my CDTV prototype and CDTV CR :)

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:25:03 AM »
Quote from: Oli_hd;608742
I would be interested :D
Dunno what a Walker is worth (like you say they dont exactly come up much) but it would go great next to my CDTV prototype and CDTV CR :)

The Walker is simply priceless. With the present audience included, who knows where it will end up.

With only two around and the stuff of legends, I could easily see 5 or more figures.
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »
I havent seen a "rare" amiga get more than £500, including the Amiga Nyx that Haynie tried (and failed) to sell on ebay so I think five figures is a bit high but it would be interesting to see! ( I paid four figures for my current A4KT setup with all the upgrades, £2K plus yet the CDTV CR was super cheap!)

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
Quote from: Oli_hd;608760
I havent seen a "rare" amiga get more than £500, including the Amiga Nyx that Haynie tried (and failed) to sell on ebay so I think five figures is a bit high but it would be interesting to see! ( I paid four figures for my current A4KT setup with all the upgrades, £2K plus yet the CDTV CR was super cheap!)

That A1000 the kid in Washington bought of CL went for more than 1200 dollars on ebay.

EDIT:  Of course, that is probably around GBP500  :(

ChuckT

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:21:19 AM »
Why don't you sell it to the community.  Name your price, have the Amiga community buy it and elect people in electronics to develop it.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:38:55 AM »
minator

Hmm cool kit. I'd be interested in buying it as well... if it was working then you could get big money but in the current condition not as much.. but still ok :) Let us know your desired price.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline tone007

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 01:50:06 AM »
Quote from: ChuckT;608778
Why don't you sell it to the community.  Name your price, have the Amiga community buy it and elect people in electronics to develop it.

Well, the synth Minator is interested in seems to be in the $3000-$4000 range on eBay and he's proposed a swap for the synth on the offchance someone here has one, so that might be a starting point...
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

ChuckT

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 01:59:54 AM »
Quote from: tone007;608785
Well, the synth Minator is interested in seems to be in the $3000-$4000 range on eBay and he's proposed a swap for the synth on the offchance someone here has one, so that might be a starting point...

Even if he allowed the circuit board to be photographed then it would do the Amiga community a good service.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 02:12:32 AM »
Quote from: minator;608727
This is pretty much the ultimate collectable Amiga, the only Amiga with the "Toni" custom chip (FPGA actually) and Kickstart/Workbench 3.2.

Out of curiosity was was Toni, what did it do?
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!