Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the future of Amiga?  (Read 13512 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: What is the future of Amiga?
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 29, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
:eek:
Quote from: alexh;595240
And who did they tell? Word of mouth sells hardware and 50+ people barely have 1-2 friends if any.

Nah, it's just curiosity. Like poking a dead animal.

How the feck do you manage? The classic Amiga sucks balls when it comes to video, audio and interweb. I'd bet money you're telling porkies... that you use your Amiga a lot for recreational purposes but use a PC/Mac for day-2-day work & interweb.

Gawd knows what age you are mate but if you're over 50 and only have 1 to 2 friends, then nip doon ra vets n get yirself pit doon... :lol:

Ah suppose poking a dead animal is normal around Oxford... :eek:

Easy, same way as I've managed for the past 25 years, never been on the internet until about six months ago when I took a hairy fit and bought an old mac. Nae tall stories here mate the mac only gets used for the net (only thing it's good for) everything else is done on an Amiga (as should be)... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
Quote from: dammy;595279
Only six months on the Net and you added links to your signature block?  I find that hard to believe, TBH.

Believe what you want mate, Im a fast learner... :)

If it takes you any longer than couple of weeks to figure out how to add a link to something then there's not much hope for you and you must be a PC user... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »
Quote from: dammy;595283
Well, you have agreed that as far as the market is concerned that it is indeed dead.  No market, no future.

You say you have a used Mac to get you on the web and use your Amiga for everything else, why are you using a Mac to browse the web?  Why isn't your Amiga capable of doing it as well?  At the least, you can have your Amiga linked up through your Mac and cruise the internet with a Amiga browser?

No market, No future, then why do all things second hand and no longer produced have a profitable market on ebay... or is ebay something that I've just imagined in my short time here on the net... :)

There are plenty folk here who have given me advice on how to get the Amiga on the net, I just haven't got round to it yet (been too busy here chatting to good folk like yourself...) :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;595298
Well, I don't know about Franko, but not all of us have the money to throw around on the hardware required for decent Amiga-based web browsing :/

We'll I aint a millionaire but I'm comfortably well off, no born with a silver spoon in the mouth here, working class & proud to call myself so, left school aged 15 worked damned hard for every penny I have until aged 37 when an accident which led to Ill health caused me to retire early but by then I had made enough to live off till the end of my days. (and before any one shouts sponger or living of the state, no I don't claim benefits of any sort as my savings put me way beyond that bracket). Hope that clears that one up... :)

So yes while I have the money to do whatever I want Amiga wise, it's only that I've not got around to buying the bit's and bobs yet to get my miggies on the net but I should be doing so in the near future... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;595310
I don't know Franko. You might find web browsing on an Amiga a tad painful. Even using MorphOS has presented some compromise (flash support under OWB is awful).

Hey, I hear you've got some early season snow over there. How bad is it?

I know it can't do everything but I'd like to give it a try anyway, Im not expecting to use it for YouTube and stuff like that, but I'd like to see just what it can do... :)

Well the thermometers at -8c just now and a good 12 to 14 inches has fallen since yesterday, my squirrels are buried up past their heads... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;595318
Some people insist there no evidence of climate change, but if there isn't then Mother Nature has had a strange sense of humor recently.

Those who claim there is no evidence of climate change soon change their minds when they get flooded out and lose all their belongings... :)

Scotland never really has much of a summer but for the past 4 years now we've had nothing at all, it's done nothing but pish doon and the sun is now nothing more than a myth we tell our grandchildren about... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
Quote from: Tension;595348
I love the Northern Irish weather.  It matches the general undercurrent of emotion.

I see what you mean, miserable and depressing... :lol:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »
@ cecilia

I too taught myself everything I know about computers since I got my first Vic 20 back around 82. I ran my own DTP/Grahics Design business around 87 with nothing more than 2 A500's and a couple of Star dot matrix printers and made a tidy sum from doing so.

But I have never left the Amiga since I got my first A1000 in 86, why some folk can't believe that I can achieve all I need from a computer from just using an Amiga is beyond me as is their disbelief that I've only been on the internet for about 6 months and because I can place a link in a post somehow makes me a liar.

The Amiga has taught me that you don't need gigabytes of ram and over bloated code just to achieve a simple task, it's a joy to use and teaches you how to code and perform tasks efficiently without the need for the latest super duper all singing & dancing processor.

No matter what the doubter have to say I don't need to prove myself to them and they can disbelieve all they want as it's not a problem to me. Being of an age where we didn't even have a computers at school and no one to teach us about them, I reckon that's the big difference between older folk like myself (gawd older folk I'm only 46) and the some of younger generations who were born into a world where computers were already established as part of everyday life.

I for one am glad and indeed feel privileged to have been around at the start of true home computing and really wish that some of the younger folk who don't understand this would open their minds to the simple fact that the need for speed and more lifelike graphics just to play a silly 3D game is not all that computing is about, but sadly for some of them I don't think they will ever see it that way. Oh well it's their loss not mine... :)

(and before you youngsters start jumping down my throat, I said SOME not ALL of you... :))

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 02:02:09 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;595457
The future and next present of the amiga is to talk about vapour and unfinished projects without enjoy the real things, sadly.

I enjoy looking forward to what the Amiga future might be, call it vapourware if you want and I wouldn't blame you for that (because of all the vapourware and broken promises of the past), but I still hold out hope that things like the Natami, X1000 and MiniMigAGA will actually see the light of day.

But I use every day the "real things" and I assume most of us expressing our views here do also in one form or another, so unless your talking about yourself I don't quite get your point... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 11:34:32 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;595475
It's interesting to see peoples thoughts here. Most people project thier own opinions of amiga in thier response to how they view computing, which is a make up of tastes and knowledge on the subject. If the amiga is retro or not is reflected in a persons use. People who use it as a main system tend to (by necessity) be a lot more aware of the system, it's software, and how to do things that a more casual/retro person would be.
All this taken into account and it appears amiga.org is mostly full of the casual/retro crowd.

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with that observation... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;595310
Hey, I hear you've got some early season snow over there. How bad is it?

Just took some pics of the snow in my back garden, it's pretty bad this year the large bump on the right hand side were 7 foot tall hedges, now flattened to about 2 and half to 3 feet... gawd it cold... :(

(don't think that old fence is gonna last the winter either... :))