Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raodshow Demo Setup?  (Read 2281 times)

Description:

Offline carvedeyeTopic starter

• Show only replies by carvedeye
Raodshow Demo Setup?
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
Hi all I am trying to setup the Roadshow Demo and I haven't got a clue, I have read the readme file but don't really understand it. Would someone be willing to give me a step by step Instruction's to get it up and running?
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Rotzloeffel

Re: Raodshow Demo Setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 01:37:57 PM »
install Roadshow, go to Sys:storage/Netinfaces and copy the file for your Network card to DEVS:Netinterfaces/ thats all
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »
Quote from: Rotzloeffel;817906
install Roadshow, go to Sys:storage/Netinfaces and copy the file for your Network card to DEVS:Netinterfaces/ thats all

Really? what about my network settings like the IP Address, subnet mask, DNS etc..? and how do I start roadshow?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:51:59 PM by carvedeye »
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
this is the setup for DHCP! roadshow will start in your user-startup!

or by typing execute s:Network-startup
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline matt3k

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »
Just install it and walk away, like described above.

It is super easy to get going, the easiest of the bunch for sure.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:40:55 PM »
I swear to god I give up I really do, the Amiga is one complicated computer I have been building and repairing pc's for over 19 years and I am A+ Certified so I am no noob when it comes to computers but this system is driving me around the bend it really is I feel like throwing in the towel :(

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;817933
I swear to god I give up I really do, the Amiga is one complicated computer I have been building and repairing pc's for over 19 years and I am A+ Certified so I am no noob when it comes to computers but this system is driving me around the bend it really is I feel like throwing in the towel :(

It's really starting to sound like you ended up with a bad base install. 3.9 can be a bit picky.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;817937
It's really starting to sound like you ended up with a bad base install. 3.9 can be a bit picky.

I have done 4 clean installs and still no luck, would it be a good idea to go back to 3.1?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;817933

I've been building and repairing PC's for over 30 years and have a degree in network engineering, and the Amiga is still complicated.  But putting it into perspective, try doing the same thing on a MS-DOS computer from that era.  Windows installers make us forget how complicated everything used to be!  ;)

That being said, I'd suspect it's a Mediator issue or a problem with your LAN card.  Perhaps some obscure Mediator update that's still missing, or a driver?  3.9 itself is pretty easy, but when you start bolting on all the extras needed for a high end system, it can cause a few more grey hairs.  ;)  Good luck!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 10:41:50 PM »
If it helps any I have a crappy video of me installing 3.9 a few years ago on YouTube.  I hadn't done it in a few years and made a few n00b mistakes, but it may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCMw8bStvG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufCuW--Q2nA&t=4s

:banana:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Acill

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 11:19:27 PM »
You have to be sure to install the file for your particular card in the devs:netinterface folder, not in devs/networks. I've seen a lot of people make the mistake. I believe there is also a file in devs in addition.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
Mike may have stumbled on something here. I'll bet the old HD was loaded before the Mediator. Unplug it and start from scratch.

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 09:39:38 PM »
Here we go
Well,  it starts with unpacking the Roadshow archive, which I assume you've  already done. The next thing is to run the installation script by  double-clicking on the "Install_Roadshow" icon.

If you have used this type of installation script before, you might want  to run it in "pretend to install" mode to get an idea of what happens  during the real installation. In "pretend to install" mode the  installation procedure goes through all the steps of a real  installation, and it writes a log file which details what would happen.

Of course, you still need to run the installation script for real.  Assuming that you do, and assuming further that it actually succeeds,  you need to take one more step to make your system operational: you need  to choose which network interface should be used.

You wrote that you are using an EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card. I believe  that Roadshow ships with a configuration file which supports this card.  Here is how you would set it up after you have installed Roadshow:

- Open the "Storage" drawer of your Workbench volume
- Inside the "Storage" drawer, open the "NetInterfaces" drawer.
- In the "NetInterfaces" drawer, find the file "3c589"
- When you have found the file, do not close the drawer. We are going to  open another drawer which the file "3c589" should be moved to
- Open the "Devs" drawer of your Workbench volume
- Inside the "Devs" drawer, find the drawer "NetInterfaces"
- In order to set up the "3c589" network interface, drag the file from "Storage/NetInterfaces" into "Devs/NetInterfaces"

After you have dragged the "3c589" file into the "NetInterfaces" drawer,  inside the "Devs" drawer of your Workbench volume, you should be ready  to go. Note that you have to have the network driver software installed  which the "3c589" file references. That software should have shipped  with the EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card and you may still have to install  it. Note that Roadshow does not ship with this driver. Roadshow only  ships with an instruction file that tells Roadshow how to use the driver  (the "3c589" file mentioned above).

The network interface configuration file "3c589" is responsible for  making your Ethernet card useful for Roadshow. If the Ethernet cable is  correctly plugged in, and your router is configured to allow for  Roadshow to request a dynamically assigned address, you should be able  to restart your Amiga now and Roadshow will use your Ethernet card.

This is basically how it ought to work out.

Does this sound helpful to you? Please ask if you need to know more.      

Back to top       PDF                                                          
                                              scarrabri    
    AFF Anwärter    

Posted: 29.04.2013 - 19:23    Post subject:                                                                                                   olsen wrote                             scarrabri wrote               Hi no i have not installed any thing yet i want to know where to go and what to edit ,or add or alter ,lol                        
Careful, are we?

Well, it starts with unpacking the Roadshow archive, which I assume  you've already done. The next thing is to run the installation script by  double-clicking on the "Install_Roadshow" icon.

If you have used this type of installation script before, you might want  to run it in "pretend to install" mode to get an idea of what happens  during the real installation. In "pretend to install" mode the  installation procedure goes through all the steps of a real  installation, and it writes a log file which details what would happen.

Of course, you still need to run the installation script for real.  Assuming that you do, and assuming further that it actually succeeds,  you need to take one more step to make your system operational: you need  to choose which network interface should be used.

You wrote that you are using an EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card. I believe  that Roadshow ships with a configuration file which supports this card.  Here is how you would set it up after you have installed Roadshow:

- Open the "Storage" drawer of your Workbench volume
- Inside the "Storage" drawer, open the "NetInterfaces" drawer.
- In the "NetInterfaces" drawer, find the file "3c589"
- When you have found the file, do not close the drawer. We are going to  open another drawer which the file "3c589" should be moved to
- Open the "Devs" drawer of your Workbench volume
- Inside the "Devs" drawer, find the drawer "NetInterfaces"
- In order to set up the "3c589" network interface, drag the file from "Storage/NetInterfaces" into "Devs/NetInterfaces"

After you have dragged the "3c589" file into the "NetInterfaces" drawer,  inside the "Devs" drawer of your Workbench volume, you should be ready  to go. Note that you have to have the network driver software installed  which the "3c589" file references. That software should have shipped  with the EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card and you may still have to install  it. Note that Roadshow does not ship with this driver. Roadshow only  ships with an instruction file that tells Roadshow how to use the driver  (the "3c589" file mentioned above).

The network interface configuration file "3c589" is responsible for  making your Ethernet card useful for Roadshow. If the Ethernet cable is  correctly plugged in, and your router is configured to allow for  Roadshow to request a dynamically assigned address, you should be able  to restart your Amiga now and Roadshow will use your Ethernet card.

This is basically how it ought to work out.

Hi this is what the writer of the wonderful Roadshow wrote for me and it worked a tret
Does this sound helpful to you? Please ask if you need to know more.        

Hi this is what the writer of Roadshow wrote for me to help me get it going ,i hope this helps you ,best wishes Brian

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:44:02 PM by mrmoonlight »
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface