Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasos/MorphOS questions.. again.. :)  (Read 1976 times)

Description:

Offline DesolatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by Desolator
Pegasos/MorphOS questions.. again.. :)
« on: August 07, 2003, 12:42:01 AM »
So... everywhere is reviews on how fast this, how fast that and so on. But I want to know what uses the Pegasos with MorphOS gives the average user. The user that surfs the Web, write the occasional (sp?) document, paper or essay, play games and take shots with a digital camera.  (ok, I program a bit too but I already got the answers there. :) )

Take for example games. I got a lot of my Amiga games ADF'd so I can play them on my PC. Are there an emulator on MorphOS that can play these games too? Or is one under development? All I've heard about is how good it emulates programs like ImageFX. Indeed, that is programs I use too but I still like to play the occasional game now and then.

And hows the Webbrowsing? Any problems? Sites that doesn't work etc? Any ICQ clone that works on MorphOS?

If anyone could fill me in on these things I'd be most happy. I've been thinking of getting myself a Pegasos for a while now but can't really decide. But with the superbundle coming together and all the other nice thingies and stuff that appeals me draws me closer and closer to one. :)
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
Re: Pegasos/MorphOS questions.. again.. :)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 01:25:28 AM »
> Are there an emulator on MorphOS that can play
> these games too?

There is port of UAE for MorphOS here.

>And hows the Webbrowsing?

Voyager V3 is available (and being developed) for MorphOS, so is AWeb. Ibrowse (68k) works too.

>Any ICQ clone that works on MorphOS?

AFAIK there is a port of Jabberwocky available for
MorphOS.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 01:25:58 AM »

Desolator wrote:
So... everywhere is reviews on how fast this, how fast that and so on. But I want to know what uses the Pegasos with MorphOS gives the average user. The user that surfs the Web

Hi

MorphOS comes with a PPC Native Voyager web browser, which is VERY fast, and iBrowse and AWeb also work well.

, write the occasional (sp?) document, paper or essay

The Papyrus Office package is on the way to MorphOS from Titan computer, but in the meantime, the Amiga Final Writer works fine under MorphOS, and apparently so does Wordworth (although I haven't tried it myself).

and take shots with a digital camera.

I plug my camera into the USB port, Poseidon detects it and mounts it as a Mass storage device, then I drag my pictures on to the hard drive.  Really easy.  MorphOS includes full version of Poseidon.

Take for example games. I got a lot of my Amiga games ADF'd so I can play them on my PC. Are there an emulator on MorphOS that can play these games too?

Sure.  There is a MorphOS port of UAE so you can play the older games, and many newer games like Heretic2, Wipeout 2097, Quake2 and so on, run directly in MorphOS itself, thanks to the WarpOS compatibility :)
Also there is a growing number of MorphOS games that were never released for Amiga.

Or is one under development? All I've heard about is how good it emulates programs like ImageFX. Indeed, that is programs I use too but I still like to play the occasional game now and then.

Me too :) I spent loads of time playing Arcade games in Mame (Metal slug X, Marvel vs Capcom etc), and of course tranquilising birds in Birdie Shoot.

And hows the Webbrowsing? Any problems? Sites that doesn't work etc?

Well, it's pretty much the same as on the classic Amigas, as the same browsers are available on MorphOS.  Only difference is that its much much faster (especially Voyager).

Any ICQ clone that works on MorphOS?

Sure, there is STRICQ - the url is www.stricq.com, but it's offline at the moment due to a lightning strike :(

If anyone could fill me in on these things I'd be most happy. I've been thinking of getting myself a Pegasos for a while now but can't really decide. But with the superbundle coming together and all the other nice thingies and stuff that appeals me draws me closer and closer to one. :)

Well, I can't tell you to get one, but I can say that my I love my pegasos, and really enjoy using it.  When I first got it, it was the same feeling I had when I got my first Amiga all those years ago - no PC or Mac has the same effect.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 03:31:32 AM »

Desolator wrote:
So... everywhere is reviews on how fast this, how fast that and so on. But I want to know what uses the Pegasos with MorphOS gives the average user. The user that surfs the Web, write the occasional (sp?) document, paper or essay, play games and take shots with a digital camera.  (ok, I program a bit too but I already got the answers there. :) )

Voyager is a native MorphOS browser.  IBrowse and AWeb also work.  Documents, can use Final Writer, Wordsworth, or buy Papyrus Office when it comes out.  Digital camera, works like a charm, even this $25 Walmart special cam I have works.

Take for example games. I got a lot of my Amiga games ADF'd so I can play them on my PC. Are there an emulator on MorphOS that can play these games too? Or is one under development? All I've heard about is how good it emulates programs like ImageFX. Indeed, that is programs I use too but I still like to play the occasional game now and then.

Some games will run on MorphOS straight out.  Others, you'll need to run UAE.

And hows the Webbrowsing? Any problems? Sites that doesn't work etc? Any ICQ clone that works on MorphOS?

Same limits here as on a regular Amiga.  And yes, Jabberwocky and Stricq work on MorphOS

Well, any more q's?
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 04:25:48 AM »
A couple of pointers if some (future)Peggy owner read and downloaded files.

Jabberwocky has MOS port, but it doesn't work. 68k version works, but sadly it is in it's early stages of developement and needs a lot of work for it to be used daily running in the background.

About IBrowse, it's unbelievably fast when using JIT. Anyone used IB on a highly souped Amiga will be delighted.

MAME is great, but lately the Scumm-engine has gotten new versions too. Monkey Island 3 anyone? :-)

Offline DesolatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 10:31:37 AM »
Thanks for all the answers. :) That did it for me, I'm going 'Peg' this fall!

So now all I got to do is to decide if I want to wait for the Peg II to be released or to get one of the G3 (April2) cards... what's the difference between the current Pegs and the Peg II?
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 12:40:19 PM »
Not much, just different chipsets and different peripherals.

;-)

Offline Miky060

• Show only replies by Miky060
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 02:55:07 PM »
....A BIIG difference: PegasosII will use faster, cheaper and easier to find DDR Ram modules, will have Gigabit Ethernet interfaces (maybe 2) and a faster bus (actually it runs at only 100 Mhz  :-(((). The last and maybe most important thing it will no use anymore the buggy Articia chipset used also by AmigaOne/Teron but the new Marvell. :-)
------------------------------
PegasosII G4 \\\'Elite\\\' Machine
Ram: 512 MB DDR
Gfx: Radeon 7000 PCI + Voodoo5 5500 AGP
TV board: Terratec TV Value
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
Monitor: Lacie ElectronBlue 22\\"  :-D
http://www.pegasos-italia.com

Offline novaburst

• Show only replies by novaburst
    • http://arosshow.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 03:18:56 PM »
Yes, I just read that yesterday, that is why I am waiting for the Peg II.
The AROS Show
#AmigaE IRC Channel on Freenode

Offline Wilse

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 03:28:24 PM »
 :-x
Argh! I'm still waiting for my peg one to come back from France.
 :-(

USB pictures............... that's one of things I want to use it for.........so........frus......trating...........urgh.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 06:44:32 PM »
Poor fellow. I can't imagine your frustration, but it must be demanding. Still wishing it to resolve soon!

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 07:32:24 PM »
@Wilse
:-(  I hope it is cleared up soon.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 12:24:23 AM »

Wilse wrote:

USB pictures............... that's one of things I want to use it for.........so........frus......trating...........urgh.

Why is it in France?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 12:58:03 AM »

Wilse wrote:

:-o

I know about your previous problems. A long time has passed now and I am very sorry to hear that you still hasn't got a working Pegasos. I really do hope that you do get your Pegasos up and running soon, it's a very interesting platform. And if I were in charge, then  you would get one of those Pegasos motherboards with a G4 CPU card as a compensation for your troubles and long wait!

I hope it all gets sorted out soon!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2003, 06:14:34 AM »

Wilse, if you wouldn't mind, I would like you to email me.  I would like to help you out, if I can.
Regards,
Targhan