Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need help with stupid PCheatsink!  (Read 985 times)

Description:

Offline DanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dan
Need help with stupid PCheatsink!
« on: July 23, 2003, 06:58:46 PM »
I want to silence my PC, I have bought a new heatsink with fan from Arctic cooling, but I don´t know how to remove the old one.
I should pull away the lever at the socket to release the heatsink right? whan I read the motherboard manual i get the impression that I should pull the lever outwards and then up,but how come there is so much resistance?
Another problem, the current heatsink is wider than the CPU-socket..... :-?
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
Re: Need help with stupid PCheatsink!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 07:09:45 PM »
They are usually quite tight. Carefull, you might break the core of cpu.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 07:29:59 PM »
What CPU?

Assuming Duron or Athlon, the heatsink actively latches under clips on the socket- thus you usually must push down (sometimes a slot for a screwdriver is provided; be careful!) on the clip, rocking any latch/handle provided *towards* the heatsink/CPU, at which point the whole thing will spring up with quite a bit of force.  (Look at where the clip latches to the socket; note how the plastic 'overhangs' the clip.)

When installing the new cooler, you should clean off any thermal pad gunk or old compound (lighter fluid makes a good solvent), spread an appropriate amount of heatsink compound on the CPU core (about .75mm thick; I like to spread it on with a clean credit card, ensuring the core is smoothly 'frosted', with any excess positioned to the side the heatsink will lean on first, for padding), and *PRESS ONLY ON THE SIDE OF THE CLIP YOU'RE TRYING TO LATCH DOWN.*  Pressing on the cooler puts leverage directly on the CPU die, which will crack it, and leave you an unhappy person.  (Though if this *is* the Duron of the other thread, you can probably replace it for $30 now.)

If there are tall capacitors near the CPU, it's quite possible the cooler will not fit.  You need to check the reviews and measurements before you make this sort of investment.  However, if I'm looking at the right pictures, it doesn't *really* look that big, and it seems they give you a spot to latch a screwdriver in the flange attaching the the clip itself, as shown most clearly in this shot of an older design.

You don't want to be scraping the heatsink across the core- ideally you should be able to get one side latched, rock the heatsink down carefully (pushing to the opposite side, to ensure the clip you've seated stays in the latches/fingers) until it just contacts the thermal compound, then lean on the screwdriver in the clip with all your weight until that side latches on *its* set of fingers.

If it's a Celeron or P4, don't ask me- never met Intel's new clip designs.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 07:33:53 PM »
Ah, I see you're complaining about the width of the *existing* heatsink -- in that case, all I can suggest is *carefully* removing the fan, and seeing if that makes any holes/notches for screwdriver-leaning more obvious.  If it's a low-end OEM system, they tend to use coolers that didn't take removability as a design goal.

Offline DanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 07:46:49 PM »
What CPU?

Sorry, it´s a Duron.
The new heatsink is atually smaller than the old one and it fits I have checked, the problem was removing.
Toward th CPU, got it thanks.

Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 08:08:28 PM »
some heatsinks can be very tricky and even dangerous for the cpu... I whish more heatsink producers used more time in designing mounting clips...