Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 20 years has passed tomorrow ...  (Read 414 times)

Description:

Offline AmigazTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amigaz
20 years has passed tomorrow ...
« on: February 16, 2024, 08:19:18 AM »
I hope this area of the forum is the right spot to post this ..

I just realized that tomorrow it was 20 years ago I joined this forum  :)

I was very active in the Amiga community and here from the early 2000's up until circa 2009 when my Amiga interest faded and I sold off large chunks of my Amiga collection. I saved some goodies I am now started to refurbish and rebuild. I am glad I didn’t sell off everything because when looking what even an A500 costs today it would have been quite painful to go out and buy the computers and parts again.

When I look back on the times when I was most active here I had three Amiga 4000, one in an Elbox tower with CS PPC, mediator PCI and all the good stuff, one A4000T and an A4000D with CS MKIII 060. An Amiga 3000 with CS MKII 060, two Amiga 1200, one towerized with Blizzard PPC, mediator pci, the other with a Blizzard 1260. Several expanded A500’s. An A600 with 030 accelerator and two Amiga CD32. Heck I even had a Pegasos G4! Crazy and fun times but man the hardware and software was flaky sometimes and it promised alot it couldn’t always deliver. We got Amiga OS4 and MorphOS for classic Amigas .. we got a new version of Ibrowse back then (ver 2.3?) Some of us sat and waited for vapor ware like the Shark PPC.

I wasn’t expecting much when it came to new hardware when I slowly came crawling back to fiddling with Amiga’s again but I was wrong … thank god we have Steven Leary and Terrible Fire and other brave souls.
Enough babbling here from me, you will probably see more of me here now since I’ve forgot alot but also remember alot of useful bits which can help others.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Amiga 4000T - A3640 '040
Amiga 4000 - CS MKIII
Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MKIV
Amiga 1200 - Stock
Amiga CD32 - TF360
A bunch of ol' A500's

Offline sheepz

Re: 20 years has passed tomorrow ...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 09:06:36 AM »
Hi

I was similar with my A1200, PPC offered so much but the software just wasn't in it. Got my uncles old Pentium 2 and never when back, luckily kept my A1200 and 030 but sold the PPC as it really disappointed me for the money I spent.

But glad to be back with a TF1260!

Regards

Barry
Aberdeen Scotland

A1260 - TF1260
A4000 - A3660, Freeway pro USB, Big ram and ZZ9000

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 02:51:14 PM »
I hope this area of the forum is the right spot to post this ..

I just realized that tomorrow it was 20 years ago I joined this forum  :)

I was very active in the Amiga community and here from the early 2000's up until circa 2009 when my Amiga interest faded and I sold off large chunks of my Amiga collection. I saved some goodies I am now started to refurbish and rebuild. I am glad I didn’t sell off everything because when looking what even an A500 costs today it would have been quite painful to go out and buy the computers and parts again.

When I look back on the times when I was most active here I had three Amiga 4000, one in an Elbox tower with CS PPC, mediator PCI and all the good stuff, one A4000T and an A4000D with CS MKIII 060. An Amiga 3000 with CS MKII 060, two Amiga 1200, one towerized with Blizzard PPC, mediator pci, the other with a Blizzard 1260. Several expanded A500’s. An A600 with 030 accelerator and two Amiga CD32. Heck I even had a Pegasos G4! Crazy and fun times but man the hardware and software was flaky sometimes and it promised alot it couldn’t always deliver. We got Amiga OS4 and MorphOS for classic Amigas .. we got a new version of Ibrowse back then (ver 2.3?) Some of us sat and waited for vapor ware like the Shark PPC.

I wasn’t expecting much when it came to new hardware when I slowly came crawling back to fiddling with Amiga’s again but I was wrong … thank god we have Steven Leary and Terrible Fire and other brave souls.
Enough babbling here from me, you will probably see more of me here now since I’ve forgot alot but also remember alot of useful bits which can help others.

Glad to have you back 👍🏻

Plenty has happened since you had a break from the Amiga. Biggest thing now is the PiStorm, which is continuing to be improved upon. The Amiga is still alive and kicking.

Offline AmigazTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amigaz
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 02:58:52 PM »

Glad to have you back 👍🏻

Plenty has happened since you had a break from the Amiga. Biggest thing now is the PiStorm, which is continuing to be improved upon. The Amiga is still alive and kicking.

Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed the PiStorm but that what I have understand that solution isn't mature yet regarding software compatibility?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Amiga 4000T - A3640 '040
Amiga 4000 - CS MKIII
Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MKIV
Amiga 1200 - Stock
Amiga CD32 - TF360
A bunch of ol' A500's

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 04:10:18 PM »
The PiStorm is pretty much nearly there. The issues have been mostly around Whdload games and certain graphics packages like Adpro. It’s get updated a fairly regular basis. Each update brings more fixes and updates. The PiStorm cards retail for around £80 plus the price of a Pi3 or Pi4. You are looking under £200 for a 68040 card which can clock to 2ghz and 2GB of FastRAM. Not bad considering the alternatives.

Offline zipper

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 05:46:11 PM »
Huh, checked mine - February 14, 2002. It's a long time...