Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Aotl  (Read 310 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Iggy

Aotl
« on: June 07, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
Follett, quite correctly, shut down the thread that was supposed to be about Amiga On The Lake's decision to no longer carry Aeon or AmigaKit products.
The thread has gotten far off topic, and as one of the contributors to that trend, I rather regret it as the original topic still weighs on my mind.

In any case, today I received a shipment from Aaron, including the OWC SSD I asked for, and the X5000 cpu cooler we agreed on.
Shipped promptly, well packaged, via Priority Mail.
S0...thanks to AOTL.

I'll be ordering the Amiga Forever/OS4 bundle next.
And yes, you can promote OS4 without selling Aeon or AmigaKit products (although obviously, its harder).
After all, OS4 still runs on PPC equipped legacy hardware, the Pegasos2, and older AmigaOne systems, as well as via emulation.

And there really is nothing stopping Hyperion from porting to PCIe PowerMac G5s. The video card drivers, if I'm not mistaken, use Atom bios functions similar to latter MorphOS drivers. So, Apple specific cards should not be a requirement.
I've been using MorphOS on AGP PowerMacs for some time, and would love to step up to a PCIe four core system.

Right now, I'm waiting on Aeon to produce one, but should someone produce support for an alternative...
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline HammerD

Re: Aotl
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826768
Follett, quite correctly, shut down the thread that was supposed to be about Amiga On The Lake's decision to no longer carry Aeon or AmigaKit products.
The thread has gotten far off topic, and as one of the contributors to that trend, I rather regret it as the original topic still weighs on my mind.

In any case, today I received a shipment from Aaron, including the OWC SSD I asked for, and the X5000 cpu cooler we agreed on.
Shipped promptly, well packaged, via Priority Mail.
S0...thanks to AOTL.

I'll be ordering the Amiga Forever/OS4 bundle next.
And yes, you can promote OS4 without selling Aeon or AmigaKit products (although obviously, its harder).
After all, OS4 still runs on PPC equipped legacy hardware, the Pegasos2, and older AmigaOne systems, as well as via emulation.

And there really is nothing stopping Hyperion from porting to PCIe PowerMac G5s. The video card drivers, if I'm not mistaken, use Atom bios functions similar to latter MorphOS drivers. So, Apple specific cards should not be a requirement.
I've been using MorphOS on AGP PowerMacs for some time, and would love to step up to a PCIe four core system.

Right now, I'm waiting on Aeon to produce one, but should someone produce support for an alternative...


Glad you got your package.  Nothing is stopping Hyperion of course, but I would not hold your breath or even remotely count on a port to the G5 PowerMac.  I have no inside info, but from the outside it looks like Hyperion has its handful now finishing OS4 for the X5000 and then the A1222.  Not to mention OS 4.2 which has been promised already for years.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Aotl
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;826772
Glad you got your package.  Nothing is stopping Hyperion of course, but I would not hold your breath or even remotely count on a port to the G5 PowerMac.  I have no inside info, but from the outside it looks like Hyperion has its handful now finishing OS4 for the X5000 and then the A1222.  Not to mention OS 4.2 which has been promised already for years.


Yes, their current backlog is pretty heavy. ;-)
And releasing a G5 version could cannibalize Aeon system sales.

And finishing OS4.1 for the X5000 would be nice.
I'm not hearing good things about the SATA drivers or the driver for the CMI8738 sound card.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline wawrzon

Re: Aotl
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826768

In any case, today I received a shipment from Aaron, including the OWC SSD I asked for, and the X5000 cpu cooler we agreed on.


you ordered cpu cooler for a computer you dont have?
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Aotl
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;826774
you ordered cpu cooler for a computer you dont have?

No, I ordered a cooler for Mark Olsen, who complained that the stock cooler that was provided with his system is both loud and inadequate.

But, that is a pre-production/development system, so I don't know what the current units are like.

BUT, I guess you could say I ordered a cooler for a system I don't have. I want MorphOS on any system I order, so if I can help out my favorite developer, why not?

Anyway, some non-Aeon/AmigaKit hardware for Aeon systems is still available at AOTL, as are other items specific to other Amiga related applications.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline wawrzon

Re: Aotl
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826776
I want MorphOS on any system I order, so if I can help out my favorite developer, why not?

sure. just wondered.
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Aotl
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;826777
sure. just wondered.


Sure, one thing you can count on, I've supported this system since it was announced.
And regardless of the "dramas" that take place in our community, I can't see changing that.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Acill

Re: Aotl
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
I'd be the first to step up and buy OS4.x for a powermac G5. I was a huge advocate for it on the Pegasos II, even offered them 10k to port it and was brutally ridiculed over at amigaworld.net if anyone remembers. That being said I'd much prefer a new system with warranty and full support as well. Its a tough call here. I personally like Aeon and admire what they have accomplished. What I don't like is Hyperion and the snails pace at which they work.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics
 

Offline wlemonds

Re: Aotl
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:02:07 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826773

I'm not hearing good things about the SATA drivers or the driver for the CMI8738 sound card.


What's wrong with the SATA drivers?
A500 PAL ACA500 Plus/Gotek
A1200 060/66 Tower/Mediator
A2000 Vampire/4XEIDE\'99/MNT 2000/Ariadne II+
A3000 040/40
A4000 Tekmagic 060/50
X5000/20
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Aotl
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
Quote from: wlemonds;826780
What's wrong with the SATA drivers?


Steve Sollie claims he is writing a new driver.
There appears to be a bug in the current driver affecting DVD drives.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3617

Honestly guys, I have to keep you up to date with OS4 info? :hammer:
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline F1Lupo

Re: Aotl
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 04:55:27 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;826776
No, I ordered a cooler for Mark Olsen, who complained that the stock cooler that was provided with his system is both loud and inadequate.

But, that is a pre-production/development system, so I don't know what the current units are like.
....

same issue with the X1000 which many of us solved with custom made CPU fans made by Markus Computers which are identical to the ones AOTL sell now (I believe hey bought out Markus Computers stock when they closed down)..anyhow here's a blog that outlines the install on the X1000

http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/2015/06/
____________________________________________________________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50, A4000-CSMKIII
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:
 

Offline Rob

Re: Aotl
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 05:57:31 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;826781
Steve Sollie claims he is writing a new driver.
There appears to be a bug in the current driver affecting DVD drives.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3617

Honestly guys, I have to keep you up to date with OS4 info? :hammer:


Surely a new version and not a new driver.
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Aotl
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »
Quote from: Rob;826785
Surely a new version and not a new driver.


That's the way Steve worded it, new driver.
From what I understand, he modeled the existing driver on a Linux driver.
Maybe he is starting from scratch.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Spectre660

Re: Aotl
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3617#p39937

Quote
                              
                    Re: DVD drive disappears

          by ssolie ยป Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:54 pm
                         radzikpl wrote:I have interesting queston. When X5000 first time boots DVD drive is presen as wel for Media Toobox, AmiDVD.
But after warm reboot there is no more DVD in system... Of course after hard reboot DVD is present.

The  p5020 SATA driver is still not finished in regards to ATAPI devices so I  wouldn't worry about it. The current driver is just enough to boot the  system and a little bit more but I wouldn't push it too far. Just don't  expect everything to work in the ATAPI dept.

I'm working on an updated driver that will be better at ATAPI stuff but it is still in the works.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
 

Offline Iggy

Re: Aotl
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
A different quote than what I pointed to,

Ribdevil wrote:
Another strange issue. In every change of Cd, the device unit changes...

That is normal behaviour right now. Like I said, I'm working on a new driver. Don't expect this one to behave with ATAPI devices. It is meant only for booting and installing the OS.


but, new driver, updated driver, all nitpicking.
The point is that the driver doesn't work well with ATAPI devices.
It will boot, but has issues afterword.

So...like I said, driver issues.
SATA and CMI8738.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"