Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A sad day  (Read 5169 times)

Description:

Offline SACC-guy

Re: A sad day
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 12:45:45 AM »
Too right!

Tis better to have erred and lost...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:46:43 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2017, 01:03:35 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;826448
I'm on the correct side of the pond...give me a break.
the whole UK thing and what the maps call England is your issue (lol)
@Sacc-Guy

Buy a better map then Yankee boy. I'm not about to assume Sacramento is in Texas just because they shout the loudest am I because I understand that you are the 'United' States just as we are the 'United' Kingdom. Both the words 'United' stand for an amalgam of constituent states or nations that are stronger together but different in their history and in the case of Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England constitute different races of people with different cultures and traditions. It's not just the difference between Texans liking rodeo and Californians liking surfing :-)
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2017, 01:06:11 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826450
@Sacc-Guy

Buy a better map then Yankee boy.

Sounds like somebody got their panties in a bunch.  How the %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! is this relevant to the thread? :p
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826450
@Sacc-Guy

Buy a better map then Yankee boy. I'm not about to assume Sacramento is in Texas just because they shout the loudest am I because I understand that you are the 'United' States just as we are the 'United' Kingdom. Both the words 'United' stand for an amalgam of constituent states or nations that are stronger together but different in their history and in the case of Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England constitute different races of people with different cultures and traditions. It's not just the difference between Texans liking rodeo and Californians liking surfing :-)
Tell it to the colon-ists. (really big grin)

My maps don't have any of those place names.

aka laughing boy (what is that guy in the red shirt doing?)

BTW, I fixit already
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:15:14 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2017, 01:28:20 AM »
Jesus you guys dislike the Welsh that much?
Makes me like them better.
But then, I'm Irish, and I've always felt...well _ the English.
After all, it would only be returning the favor.

Since your plantations did make Ireland a mass exporter of food during the potato famine (in other words, you let us starve, in the name of profit).

BUT, that's wholly off topic.

And if everyone of European decent held long term grudges, well...no one would be talking.

Quote from: SACC-guy;826452
Tell it to the colon-ists. (really big grin)

My maps don't have any of those place names.

aka laughing boy (what is that guy in the red shirt doing?)

BTW, I fixit already

As to who's colon was involved...I've believe it was yours. :hammer:
Twice if I'm not mistaken.

Proud to be from a country that kicked "Great" Britain's ass. :lol:

After all, what's so great about it?
That you were all being buggered by the Roman Empire at one point?
Or that your dumb enough to look back on the concept of "Empire" fondly?

Except for the Magna Carta, Common Law, and a language, your contributions to us have been...limited.

And on THAT low note, I'm off for the night, because even I'm not comfortable being this stupid (really...colon...ists?).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:38:53 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2017, 01:28:23 AM »
@SACC-guy

Maybe your geography / history should be taught through  the medium of film studies or "movie" studies as you probably call it  :-)

I guess it would go something like this:

"Like that  place where the dude holas out, "You can take our land but you'll never take  our Freeeedooom!!!" is like called Scotland kinda like that  'Beyond the Wall' land that John Snow heroically rallies against the white walkers.  And that emerald isle where that guy who will "Find you and when he finds you  he WILL kill you!" comes from, yes it's most excellently Northern Ireland. And the country where the Big Kahuna vampire dude from Twilight lives or the serial killer  out of Silence of the Lambs who was also kinda scary as the Westworld architect brainiac or the growling Batman super-dude was born... far out that's right it's Wales!!! Or that super-sized tea munching fairy tale land where everyone  talks like Hugh Grant, they all live a red bus away from a red phone box emblazoned mini-New York called London ... that's right England where the Queen lives and where they wrote all the screen plays to base our movies on!! Other than that little wizard dude they wrote about him in the place 'Beyond the Wall'. What about the Land of the Rings or what the freaking hell was it called. No dude that was Australia or New Guinea or something! :-) Like  dude I think I've got it ... gnarly man.... bodaciously far out and most  righteous my compadres (or similar typical Californian dialogue)....

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:49:24 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline AltRN8

• Show only replies by AltRN8
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2017, 01:33:21 AM »
I blame my bad luck for the whole situation as I was about to place an order for a system from AotL in a week. Seems like I always run into issues like this when I'm dealing with Amiga hardware. I definitely want a system that natively runs OS4 so I'll have to check out Amigakit's offerings. I'm dreading the potential shipping delays from across the pond.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 01:56:47 AM »
@Iggy

Except for the Magna Carta, Common Law, and a language, your contributions to us have been...limited.
Add those to the jet engine, the computer, the World Wide Web and the television to name a few. Oh yeah and we also seem to have kept the development of Amiga going as well with the help of the Belgians ;-)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:59:03 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2017, 02:07:47 AM »

Add those to the jet engine, the computer, the World Wide Web and the television to name a few.

what? thats all european inventions? at least tv isnt that clear i guess. bell has been expermenting with rotating mirrors and some guys west coast have been smearing cesium on lab flasks to see if they can turn an image of a black stripe around and see some trace of it on the bottom of a receiver.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2017, 02:22:42 AM »
Ahh, Nationalism: Teaches you to be proud of sh1t you didn't do and hate people you've never met.

Keeping the stupid occupied since time immemorial.....
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »
@nicholas

Focusing on past innovations and good things your forefathers have done for the community and nation should motivate us to keep pushing ahead with new innovations and to make the world a better place. Just as Wilberforce fought in Parliament to abolish slavery so we today face the same uphill battle to get abortion banned in present day Parliament. Where will the next engineering advancement come? Will we invent useful AI, cheap fuel or the ability to unplug ourselves from the internet for more than 10 minutes? :-)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2017, 02:50:50 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;826462
what? thats all european inventions? at least tv isnt that clear i guess. bell has been expermenting with rotating mirrors and some guys west coast have been smearing cesium on lab flasks to see if they can turn an image of a black stripe around and see some trace of it on the bottom of a receiver.
@Wawron

No, they're all British inventions. In fact the Scottish on their own are prolific inventors. I think it must be partly down to climate as you much less likely to go to a workshop and invent something if the sun is shining and you would rather sit by the pool and keep cool in the shade!

And yes John Logie Baird; a scottish engineer was one of the inventors of the mechanical television. He demonstrating the first working television system on 26 January 1926,  and was the inventor of both the first publicly demonstrated colour television  system, and the first purely electronic colour television picture tube.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:55:38 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2017, 02:57:00 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826465
@nicholas

Focusing on past innovations and good things your forefathers have done for the community and nation should motivate us to keep pushing ahead with new innovations and to make the world a better place. Just as Wilberforce fought in Parliament to abolish slavery so we today face the same uphill battle to get abortion banned in present day Parliament. Where will the next engineering advancement come? Will we invent useful AI, cheap fuel or the ability to unplug ourselves from the internet for more than 10 minutes? :-)

Your forefathers or the forefathers of people that you happen to be born on the same island as?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2017, 02:57:08 AM »
I have been a by-standard on this thread.

But I will know say two quick things.

Concerning the original topic.
1) Friends can be Friends, but Money is money.
People who can normally be friends can become bitter when money is involved.
It is no use conjecturing who was "right" or "wrong" the decision may be completely financially made that have nothing to do with being "nice" or "pleasant", etc.
This is why I not to do business with friends.

The UK vs USA thing.  
2)    I personally, as an American, value our close relationship as countries and Allies :-).  We, Americans, and the British Commonwealth nations (canada-uk-nz-australia) do share in a common past and common culture.

Enough of the touchy feeling stuff

Yes the whole UK-GB-England thing is very confusing to us on this side of the pond.  I would guess to say that the average American does not know the difference between the three.  Ie if England-Wales-Scotland-Northern Ireland are one country, why do they have separate world cup teams.  It would be like the US having 50 different teams.

I remember as a kid wondering why the British union jack looked different during the American Revolutionary War than it does today, (ie missing a half of a red cross).
and where is the Welsh flag in the British union jack?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

Further confusing the issue was the use of the term Great Britain at the Olympics (ie the British Isles minus Ireland).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:03:40 AM by Motormouth »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2017, 03:01:51 AM »
@nicholas

Have you got any sense of community or belonging or being part of something bigger than just you and your nuclear family. People who live in Britain are all British and can all be proud of British achievements. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #74 from previous page: May 31, 2017, 03:08:08 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;826468

The UK vs USA thing.  
2)    I personally, as an American, value our close relationship as countries and Allies :-).  We, Americans, and the British Commonwealth nations (canada-uk-nz-australia) do share in a common past and common culture.

Enough of the touchy feeling stuff

Yes the whole UK-GB-England thing is very confusing to us on this side of the pond.  I would guess to say that the average American does not know the difference between the three.  Ie if England-Wales-Scotland-Northern Ireland are one country, why do they have separate world cup teams.  It would be like the US having 50 different teams.

I remember as a kid wondering why the British union jack looked different during the American Revolutionary War than it does today, (ie missing a half of a red cross).
and where is the Welsh flag in the British union jack?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

Further confusing the issue was the use of the term Great Britain at the Olympics (ie the British Isles minus Ireland).
I think the refrences were mis read and the kidding around got out of hand...sorry
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:09:25 AM by SACC-guy »