Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help! A1200 mainboard dying?  (Read 732 times)

Description:

Help! A1200 mainboard dying?
« on: April 30, 2003, 01:48:32 AM »
Hi. Today I powered my A1200 and it seemed to freeze during boot after de CGXBootpic was loaded. After rebooting 3 times it was the same. So I turned on my 1702 monitor and saw this requester:

CyberVisionPPC Driver Request

Please select default video mode !

VGA-31kHz    NTSC    PAL    Cancel

After selecting any of the options the HD works for a second or so and then the mouse freezes and no workbench is loaded, just the title bar. The BVision still showing the bootpic.

If I boot to the early startup menu I can see it in both the 1702 and the VGA monitor of the BVision; also if I boot without startup-sequence. I can boot from the OS3.0 WB disk and see it in both monitors. So I don´t think it is the BVision, which was working fine till yesterday.

Maybe it has to do with some strange behavior of the AGA chipset I detected some days ago. When loading programs that aren´t RTG, some screens like title screens look fine, but when changing to the menu or option screen, it is unreadable. But then sometimes it works.

Is my mainboard dying? Changing chips could be necesary?

Thanks for the info you can share.

Enrique

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Help! A1200 mainboard dying?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 05:52:42 AM »
Hmm...  Well, old hardware is always a possability for problems, but, to me, at least, it sounds more software-related.

Do you have a backup you can boot a known-good RTG environment from?  ZIP disks are excellent for this.  Maybe something you've installed recently replaced some new libraries with older versions?  Or maybe some hack or patch didn't agree with a new library or commodity....

Anyhow, I'd try to create yourself a known-good software environment and see if problems persist.  Make sure it's not software related before you start messing with hardware.  

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 11:43:45 AM »
It Might be that the screenmode prefs file has somehow got screwed, so this will need remaking.

The system will hang if any requestor is opened durring the bootsequence, cxg simply doesnt like it and is usualy visable by black boxes opening ontop of the boot pic.

Solution ....hmm, if you made an emergancy boot floppy with all the screenmodes setup,  it might be possable to boot that and simply copy the screenmodes prefs file over to the hd.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 12:30:56 AM »
No luck, I´ve been playing with screenmode.prefs from floppies, disabling and changing startup-sequence and user-startup, moving the cgx libraries to other location...

Now I get gurus every time I boot.  I think its time to start with a new Workbench partition. If that doesn´t work I´ll mess with the hardware.

Thank you, guys for the hints.

Enrique