Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C128 in an FPGA?  (Read 9816 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
Re: C128 in an FPGA?
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »
But the Chameleon 64 lacks SID filters and doesn't sound very well at all in standalone mode... I've asked several times in the beta testing list but they don't seem interested in implementing them. I'm thinking about selling the Chameleon 64.

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;729171
How about the MCC-216 does it have the filters?

I think it had some kind of filter (whatever that moron Frenchshark stole from open source solutions available), but it didn't sound true to a C64 either.
I don't have MCC-216 anymore. I'm glad I got rid of that bug-ridden POS.

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »
Quote from: FrenchShark;730724
Do you know what the moron has to tell you, ******* ?

The filter is called a "state variable filter" and was done by myself.

Try to learn HDL before criticizing the others.

Bastard.

Maybe I don't know HDL, but I don't steal other people's work either, as YOU do. You can take your faulty hardware and you "state variable filter" and stick them though you back hole.
No one in his right mind is ever buying an MCC-216 anymore once they know how bad built the thing is and how ILLEGAL (appart from incomplete and incompatible) your Amiga core is. Not to mention the C64 core, also stolen and still having all kind of bugs.

Or the AppleII core, wich can't even load a disk image.

I hope the open source developers who you scammed with your ridiculous product will protect their work from working on your hardware so you can't steal anymore.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 06:42:00 PM by gaula92 »

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »
Quote from: FrenchShark;730750
Anytime dude. I am glad you like it.
In case you missed it, there is one piece here : http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=552&start=30
hurry up before the admin deletes it.

Regards,

Frederic

Publishing snippets of code in a forum doesn't prove anything.
You're using Minimig code under the hood and you didn't publish the modified sources in exchange: that's ILLEGAL as the Minimig is GPL.

You actions and reactions speak for themselves.

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »
Quote from: FrenchShark;730776
Maybe you do not get it : I have my own Paula, Denise, Agnus and Gary, it is not derivative work.

Thay may be true for an unreleased core, but the core running in your commercial product HAS BEEN a primitive Minimig for almost two years.
You have been selling a product with GPL code closed and expanded without opening back the sources.
And the fact that this product is badly built is just and additional problem.

You also left the buyers of your product without support or updates: people having problems with the C64 core were left without critical fixes, and the Amiga core stalled for almost two years also.
Even when you offered some kind of support, that irritating Retrofan with stupid phrases like "long live retro!" and no technical knowledge was all we got.

No: this is NO WAY of dealing with users. Look at other projects, like MikeJ's FPGA Arcade, Turbo Chameleon 64 or the original Minimig V1.1 board: thanks to their transparent, open-source nature, we are getting mature and stable products with a good and active community behind them.

In the other hand, your product is obscure, unsupported and faulty after all this time. You get what you deserve.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:10:01 PM by gaula92 »

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »
Finally, is it primitive or expanded ?

Primitive in the sense that you took an early Minimig core and expanded (adapted) it to work with your product.

I don't think you get much positive feedback: ask other MCC-216 users around in the Lemon64 forums, where you started announcing your product years ago, if you dare.
Bashing me won't change these facts:

"Your currently available Amiga core, wich has been available for almost two years, and wich you SOLD as part of your product, is a modified Minimig core, and is ILLEGAL as you never released the sources, even if you are working on your own Minimig implementation now".

"You chose cheap materials and the MCC-216 is easy to break: power button, power supply are very bad quality"

"You and Retrofan retired from the unofficial support forums months ago, thus leaving users without any kind of support, with broken cores."

Now if someone gives positive feedback, well, better for you. But I wouldn't recommend anything from you and I for one will stay away from whatever you come up with. There are FAR better alternatives.

As an angered ex-mcc216 owner, my hatred comes from your actions. I don't know you nor had anything against you to begin with. If you had proceeded as expected (by opening up your modified Minimig sources, fixing critical C64 bugs like keyboard problems and disk writting, etc) I would be a proud user giving good feedback as I do with the Minimig V1.1 board, the FPGA Arcade or the TC64, wich are great products.
You have been claiming that your product is also an AppleII implementation. You advertise it as souch here:

http://arcaderetrogaming.com/shop/category_100/ClassicComputer.html?sessid=iAfQ4wXcKUTiBSvQrUBQREQhvRV8zBwrp0kisg6KYhqh0s1jP7klTm2cp3P9LKjY&shop_param=cid%3D%26

..but the sad fact is that it won't even load an AppleII disk image.
Should we ask AppleII core developer what he thinks about you, by the way? Do you want me to ask him and post the answer here? ;)

I'm not spreading s h i t: after being scammed once, I'm just trying to inform other people about what you did so they can judge.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:19:40 PM by gaula92 »

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Quote from: FrenchShark;730799
Be careful you will get some bashing from some guys here :-).

That's nonsense. juga didn't sell me a piece of junk with defective cores based on GPL ones without releasing the modified sources and easy-to-break components. He's just another user, with a different point of view about your product, that's all. I'm not bashing him and your insinuation is very irritating and unnecessary.

He may not care about support, bug-fixing or quality, but I respect him because he hasn't fooled me like you do with your advertisement and your product.

Quote from: juga;730801
I mostly use them with the C64 core done by Frenchshark, and will start tinkering with the Amiga core once it is launched.

The Amiga core for the MCC-216 was launched almost two years ago (and I'm sure you know it). It's an illegal core based on GPL code. Even if a new core is to be released in the future based on original work, that doesn't change the former fact.

And even then, frenchshark, most TG68 incompatibilities will have been addressed and I won't have a reason to believe you: you can fool me once, but not twice.
And as I said, I hope real developers will try hard to stop you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:57:39 PM by gaula92 »

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;730839
So the original MCC Amiga was based upon the Minimig sources?

Yes. There's a new version in the works, apparently, but current Amiga core is Minimig-based.

The existing Amiga core would only infringe copyright if the source changes (to make it run on the MCC) were not published, and made available upon request (e.g., download of the source).

That's the situation.

And those source changes were posted back to minimig.net, or not?

No. He posted some small pieces of code on minimig.net, but not the complete sources. Not by far. That's why no one could fix the current implementation for the last two years, and that's why it's illegal.

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;730840
tl;dr, anybody who does anything Amiga related in Verilog is going to be accused of ripping off Minimig. What a shame.

This is confusing. There's no "ripping off", but GPL violation here. Don't try to confuse people.

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
Current beta Amiga core for the MCC-216 is, in fact, a Minimig core port. A new core, unrelated to Minimig, is in the works, but the core published almost two years ago is Minimig based. Frenchshark didn't have anything as advanced back then: he used to report advancements in the unofficial MCC-216 forum (retrorebooted.com, now offline) and I remember the situation perfectly, as anybody who was at that forum does.

He announced he was starting his own 68K soft-cpu and chipset implementations AFTER the core was published.

And no, I won't be going for a lawsuit as I don't care about the MCC-216 anymore: I believe time puts people in the place they should be. I feel scammed by the low quality of the thing, the broken cores announced as "supportedd systems" (like the lame AppleII situation where it can't even load a disk image because the original core author won't touch the MCC-216 with a 10mts pole anymore) and the lack of fixed and the general support (or lack of).

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 11:06:29 PM »
Quote from: FrenchShark;731288
As for the Minimig core, I told you already that I posted the modifications on minimig.net.
If anybody wants to get the HDL source, just send me a PM, I will send the archive.

So even you finally recognize here that current Amiga core IS a Minimig adaptation (as Retrofan and you implicitly said many times in the past).
As an user, and one who bought not one but three of your MCC-216 machines, I see it a step in the right direction.

Quote from: FrenchShark;731288
So, it is very difficult to open the platform to anybody.

Wrong. Open it. Open it as much as you can, and for your own good, FACILITATE the work to let others to port cores to your platform and fix the cores.

Look: if you had opened it back in 2011, you'd have a VERY good Amiga core by now, open and legal, because the community would have found incompatibilites and developers would have fixed them. If you try current Altera DE1 Minimig, you'll see it's FAR superior to your outdated, broken Amiga core. That's because geniuses like Mmrobinsonb5, Boing400, Chaos and many other experts have addressed bugs and made it the wonder it's today.
You would also have a great Spectrum 128K core, and possibly many of the arcade cores the Chameleon 64 is receiving these days.
Your product would be admired and awaited as we admire the FPGA Arcade or the Minimig V1.1 board, because these products are not just funny but also exciting to explore, learn and try wild new cores on them, with unexpected results.

On the other hand, the MCC-216 remains obscure, unknown, not very attractive at all with outdated cores an NO POSSIBILITY for the community to fix them.

I suppose you had a different business model in mind when you started the MCC-216 project: maybe you wanted to sell the cores, or the games licensed by these Cloanto vultures, but as you can see, that's not going to work. No way.

Maybe you're in time, Frenchshark, and you can still open the damn thing and let people help themselves and help YOU, and make the MCC-216 a good product, not some obscure platform using illegal cores (but please replace the materials ASAP).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:10:34 PM by gaula92 »