Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is important to you in an RTS game?  (Read 6874 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
Re: What is important to you in an RTS game?
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Quote from: tasmanian guy;606933
Look at Dune 2 on the Amiga for inspiration it is almost perfect!

You are joking right?  :confused:

Last year i played Dune2000 from start until the end and it is really showing it's age. Remember that the game is the same as Dune 2 but with better graphics and music.

Let's see. No presets available for making custom squadrons, stupid AI, unbalanced weapons such as Combat Tanks, etc. But the biggest criticism of all is the same for all other Real Time Strategy Games - the lack of strategy. They really should be called Real Time Tactics (RTT) instead because the person who can point and click the mouse faster will usually prevail which isn't really strategy.

If you are going to make an RTS (RTT?) i think you should look at modern games that puts focus on strategy like Warhammer. Just my opinion :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:37:09 PM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;606937
Factors I tend to look for in RTS

I would like to see a more sophisticated unit balancing system than rock, paper, scissors!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:06:16 AM »
Age of Empires II? Hearts of Iron? Don't make me laugh! :roflmao:

If you are up for a real startegy game try chess! Can't argue with chess being the ultimate game of strategy. The best strategist's in the world are chess players!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:35 AM »
I don't think 1MB is enough to make an RTS game anything great. It's just not enough Ram.

I remember playing Dune 2 on my A500 with 1MB RAM and was really frustrated at the way it slowed down to a crawl everytime more than 1 unit was on the screen. Then i watched it on a friends PC with 8 MB Ram and watched it fly!

I'm sure it may be possible to get around this somehow but does it have to be only 1 MB? I'm pretty sure most people who would play this 1MB RTS game who have classic Amigas to play them on would have expanded and upgraded them significantly with more RAM and faster CPU's enough to make a 1MB benchmark seem small minded. And you know the year is 2011 and not 1990. In 1990 1MB was a good target to aim for but in 2011 i think we can be a little more ambitious than that. What about 8MB running 25Mhz?

I don't see the point in limiting new games to OCS or ECS. It wouldn't hurt or be too hard to put more colours and a higher res in there. Especially after seeing the fantastic glow icons being made.

Just my opinion :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:55:30 AM by Kesa »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;606981
I can't stand the rock, paper, scissors style units either. Have a look at Panzer General 2 and related SSI games. The units are very variable in strength and terrain is a factor in battles. Do that in an RTS and it may hook me in.

I agree. The elephant chases the dog, the dog chases the cat, the cat chases the mouse and the mouse chases the elephant     :roflmao:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
Quote from: bubblebobble;606994
If you use tieght restrictions like 1MB ChipRam, the game wont be better than Dune2. This would be illusoric. It will be much worse because you have less time and less experience than the developers of Dune2.
For acceptable results, raise the specs at least to RTG, 64MB RAM, 50MHz+.

Note: Programming is totally different, if you target low-spec, mid-spec or high-spec. Probably your choise depends on what you want to learn.

Maybe but wasn't Dune2 actually made for the PC and then ported over to other platforms? It's not really the type of game Amiga's were known for this being RTS or FPS. Amiga was famous for its arcade games. If the game was actually made for the Amiga in mind it would have worked a lot better i think :)

PS - "tieght" is actually "tight".  Naughty boy!

Follow this link. www.amiga.org/forums/group.php?groupid=50
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:34:50 AM by Kesa »