Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HDMI output for A1200?  (Read 11080 times)

Description:

Offline CarlKTopic starter

• Show only replies by CarlK
Re: HDMI output for A1200?
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »
Eriond has already requested those datasheets from both SiI and Analogix. As someone mentioned before, there might be an issue due to NDA and the like.... afaik, eriond hasn't got any reply. Yet. Correct me if I'm wrong E.

Btw, I still think adding a PIC as a co-processor of sort is a good idea... The paralell port is a really simple solution, but as I said before, It wont work unless you have an application that control it. Always and at all times. I would preferer a hardware-only fire and forget solution.

/Carl

Offline Eriond

• Show only replies by Eriond
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
Hi all!

Well Carl, Analogix have been so kind to forward me the datasheet for the ANX8770 and 8775 which are two HDMI Receivers! I will (in a gentle manner) point out that there must have been a mistake, and ask them to give it another try.

Meanwhile I'm busy designing the proto-board and have gone hunting for a suitable PLCC socket that would clip on our chips of interest. Yes, I will take the PIC idea into consideration. I'll get back to you on that...

/Eriond

PS. What do you think about putting the modded A1200 into this case:

Offline Eriond

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Status update:

I have now received the official data sheet for the ANX8560 HDMI TX. Quite a beast! 50 pages describin pretty much all aspects of what we already know (pins, power, etc) but when it comes to the video modes it can handle they state:
4.2 Video Input Data
The ANX8560 accepts multiple input video formats and can convert them into different output formats before
presenting them to the HDMI interface. The Video Data interface is programmed by setting the Video Control
Registers.

Cool, right? Unfortunately there are no descriptions of those "control registers", nor are there any lists, tables or examples of the "different output formats". The end of the document says:
This document contains proprietary information of Analogix Semiconductor, Inc. or under license from third parties. No part of this document may be reproduced in any form or by any means or transferred to any third party without the prior written consent of Analogix Semiconductor, Inc.

So I cant forward it to you... :-(
You just have to beleive me on this one.

There are quite a few 8-) things mentioned though;
You get full access to the CEC interface; meaning the TV set can forward remote commands to the Amiga and the amiga can access the OSD function of the TV to display arbitrary data. Maybe not the most neccessary feature, but still cool!  :-D

To do all thesee trix and to fully control the HDMI TX, I'll definetly go for a PIC. There are things mentioned in the specs that would be too difficult to handle with plain logic. A local micro would also ensure proper operation at all times, without the need for propriatary driver software. Of course I intend to hook up the PIC to the Amiga bus somehow, so that a driver can access and control all the "cool" features.

Then there is the issue of Audio. Phew!
Due to the complexity of the Paula chip, with all of its DMA stuff going on, and the issue of primairly 8-bit audio on the Amiga, I intend to do one of two things:
a) Try to find a stereo analog-to-SPDIF sampling chip, and feed its output directly to the SPDIF input on the HDMI TX.
b) Abandon audio support, and let people use the standard analouge outputs on the Amiga itself.
A is of course a much cooler approach (the amiga can then be treated as any other modern home entertainment equipment, only requiring one cable to connect) but B is simpler. Maybe I just do like C= and make room for a sampler chip on the board, but leave it "optional"... :lol:

Time to continue designing custom ICs in Eagle. (Another time-consuming task...)

/Eriond

Offline Stedy

• Show only replies by Stedy
    • http://www.ianstedman.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »
Eriond,

Using a microcontroler for the I2C is good! As well as connecting the I2C bus to the HDMI device, you will also need to connect it to the HDMI connector. This allows you to read the I2C EEPROM in the TV and find out what display modes it supports. The serial port or clockport would be easy interfaces for the control interface.

If you bit bang the I2C bus, you must remember that the bus is open collector, so when finished with the bus, set the clock/data pins to input. Not doing this can hang the bus.

From a quick web search of suppliers, it seems that all HDMI devices are under NDA. Given any thought to making a DVI port and using an off the shelf DVI to HDMI adaptor?

DVI devices are openly documented and easier to purchase.
Have you enquired about purchasing small quantities of HDMI devices from either Silicon Image or Analogix?
If you can not purchase them, not much point in doing the design. Just trying to be practical here.

Good luck

Ian

Offline Eriond

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 08:54:03 AM »
Thanks for your input, Ian.

The nice thing about this new HDMI TX (or "sources" according to HDMI.org) is that it directly handles the complete HDMI plug. That means it has an on-board I2C master for the DDC bus. It also handles CEC and the Hot-Plug indicator pin.

So all I need to do, is to talk to the device's I2C slave port! Nice and simple.

As for availability, Analogix state that the smallest order quantaty is 600 pcs. They are kind enough to send me a couple of sample chips for just p&p.

I'm intending to do this as an open proof-of-concept design. Hopefully there will be distributors that pick up this device for us ordinary mortals to buy one piece at a time.

DVI 1.0 is natively supported by the ANX8560. In practice this means you just need a HDMI->DVI adapter plug.

Offline Eriond

Update!
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 12:26:52 AM »
The chips arrived today. And now I have also got the register documentation...there are quite a few!
Code: [Select]
Offset Register Group,I2C Address,Page
0x00 ‐ 0x04 Device ID and Initialization 0x72/76 P. 12
0x05 ‐ 0x0A System Control and Status 0x72/76 P. 13
0x10 ‐ 0x3C Video Control Registers 0x72/76 P. 17
0x40 ‐ 0x4B Interrupt Processing 0x72/76 P. 33
0x50 ‐ 0x72 Audio Control Registers 0x72/76 P. 40
0x80 ‐ 0x8A DDC Control Registers 0x72/76 P. 56
0x90 ‐ System Power Down Register 0x72/76 P. 60
0x96 ‐ 0x99 TMDS Control Registers 0x72/76 P. 63
0xA0 ‐ 0xE4 HDCP Status and Control Registers 0x72/76 P. 66
0xC0 ‐ 0xCF Configuration I2C Registers • 0x7A/7E P. 76
0xD0 ‐ 0xD4 CEC Control Registers • 0x7A/7E P. 80
0x00 ‐ 0xBE InfoFrame and Control Packet Registers 0x7A/7E P. 83

91 pages all in all. But right now, its bedtime! I'll keep you posted.

/Eriond

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
Re: Update!
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 03:29:22 AM »
Did this project went anywhere?

As a bonus there's FPGA:s that can do HDMI natively if one as able to solder them ;)

Some useful links:
Amiga 1200 Motherboard PCB picture (rev 1d4)
Auto-detecting SD/HD/PC Video sync separator
ADV101 80 MHz, Triple 8-Bit Video DAC
ADV101 80 MHz 3x 8-bit D/A without "obsolete" written all over
Amiga 3000 Lisa + Alice PCB picture (PLCC socket)
Amiga 1200 block diagram
Amiga 1200 schematics - defunct!
Amiga 1200 schematics (2.2 MB)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:36:03 AM by freqmax »

Offline NovaCoder

Re: Update!
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 03:55:51 AM »
My A1200 already has HDMI output :)

HDMI 1200
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline amiga-penn-wchester

• Show only replies by amiga-penn-wchester
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 04:28:42 AM »
silly. A1200 should have svhs/svideo, analog RGB or perhaps scandoubled/dblmode vga scanrate.  

anything more is just ridiculous.  never expect any native mode to be cycle exact with your hdmi implementation...

peace\

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:20 AM »
Quote from: amiga-penn-wchester;708560
silly. A1200 should have svhs/svideo, analog RGB or perhaps scandoubled/dblmode vga scanrate.  

anything more is just ridiculous.  never expect any native mode to be cycle exact with your hdmi implementation...

peace\

I prefer:

HDMI output
16 GB SSD HD
80Mhz 060
IdeFix Express

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 05:14:20 AM »
If the Amiga dictate the clockrate it will be cycle exact, because the Amiga defines it.
And most TV sets use HDMI, better get started with it. Or the video output options might be as limited as trying to read 5,25" floppys.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:37 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;708562
I prefer:i

HDMI output
16 GB SSD HD
80Mhz 060
IdeFix Express

:)

IDEfix express is out?

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;708564
IDEfix express is out?

You mean the new SATA version?

No I've got the current model (the Mrk2), makes a big difference to running heavy games on a 1200 (4.2 MB p/s transfer rate).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 06:33:55 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;708566
You mean the new SATA version?

No I've got the current model (the Mrk2), makes a big difference to running heavy games on a 1200 (4.2 MB p/s transfer rate).

I have the FastATA hooked to a dual SATA adapter, and get little over 5mb/sec, but I still might be interested in getting the new SATA IDEFix express. Maybe... i dunno..

Actually what I need is a cheap way to convert the blizzard SCSI to SATA...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:36:49 AM by bbond007 »

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »
Quote from: freqmax;708563
If the Amiga dictate the clockrate it will be cycle exact, because the Amiga defines it.
And most TV sets use HDMI, better get started with it. Or the video output options might be as limited as trying to read 5,25" floppys.

simpler get a TV with SCART, or convert RGB to YPbPr (think EAB has such project).
iirc, the HDMI thing wouldn't work because Amiga does D/A conversion inside a chip.
so you'd need to do a A/D conversion for HDMI, and that sux, and most TVs can do that with component signal already.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline kvasir

• Show only replies by kvasir
    • http://watertonian.freeiz.com/1200brag/index.html
--
Amiga 1200T 68060 50MHZ 192MB Fast
 40GB IDE, 100MB Zip, CD/RW, DVD/Rom
 Mediator+ 4MBSVGA, Soundblaster, 100mbps Ethernet
 Subway USB+ endless list of gadgets :-D
My full specs