Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clarification of A1/Pegasos Thread  (Read 4092 times)

Description:

Offline magneticTopic starter

• Show only replies by magnetic
Clarification of A1/Pegasos Thread
« on: October 06, 2004, 05:24:41 PM »
Oh boy

I went to defend myself on that A1/peg thread and it is locked. As usual, being called a troll...

Actually, we have sold Peg systems in the past but Magnetic Systems mainly sells Classic Amiga and Video Toaster boxes.

I have alot of experience working with the A1 and OS4. 4 People in my User Group own them and I am friendly with os4 beta testers. I have also built A1 boxes... and have played with latest releases.

The thread question was which do you recommend. I gave my recommendation and listed why. That seems reasonable to me. Here are some more clarification:

1. I call it a "Teron" becuase thats exactly what it is -

2. The first Gen A1s do have hardware problems - that is no secret - most are related to Articia and that is from the high end computer industry not just Blue side/Genesi made up stories. And frankly, the argument is getting tiresome as its rather moot at this point.

3. OS4 is coming along VERY NICELY. Its come a long way in a short time.
    The problem is no Native Apps - otherwise its very good and reasonable fast. It seeems like they have coded some kind of workaround for the DMA problem which is fantastic. I support the OS4 project... but again I think MorphOS is better :-)

4. As far as straight hardware goes the Peg2/Marvell is much better tech than the A1/Articia - Sorry..

5. Linux is very important. Not many people want to spend $1000 for a box that only runs Amiga related OS... Its also VERY important for the platform's future.

6. The A1 box is good stuff too.. I mean any alternate PPC box is cool. I just think Pegasos is better technology.

7. Both OSs and Machines have pos/neg qualities its a choice. A1 has "Amiga" name which is nice but Peg has more hacker/coder users that port alot of Linux apps and new programs and has Industrial pentitration...

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Abraxis

• Show only replies by Abraxis
Re: Clarification of A1/Pegasos Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 06:16:20 PM »
You're trolling even in that. Could you say it again without the smarmy comments at the end of each line? I'm sure people would appreciate the content more.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 06:17:30 PM »
Since when is stating an opinion trolling?
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 06:21:05 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.  FYI, the thread -- If I'm guessing the right one was not closed because of you (I don't believe, but I didn't close it)

Let me be the first to step in and ask that anyone who responds should take a while to breath first and not respond in a less-than-honorable manner.  Thomas has stated his viewpoint, backed by what he considers reason.

While everyone is entitled to an opinion, I would expect anyone who responds to do so respectfully.  No more red/blue crap necessary.  I disagree with Thomas' overall opinion, but I respect his right to post it.

(I think a lot of the crap-wars would be resolved by porting each respective OS to the "opposing" motherboard, but who the hell am I to have reasonable suggestions?)

Wayne

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 06:47:14 PM »
Wayne

Thank you for the comment. I appreciate it.

@Amigr

exactly

@Abrixis

Are you living in a bubble? You know, when someone asks do you like Apples or Oranges. If I dont like the Apple nearly as much how should I express why the orange is better? (Think about this one a minute)

magnetic

bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 07:08:54 PM »
@Magnetic,

There are always at least 2 ways to look at things;

I call it a "Teron" becuase thats exactly what it is

That sentence isn't an opinion anymore as it is combined with a "fact". You must understand that people will argue that it's not "a terron" and will see that sentence as an attack on their choice (because of the great Flame Battles not that long ago).

Just my 2 cents. Not ment to attack you in anyway.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Tempest

• Show only replies by Tempest
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 07:16:06 PM »
I like both the Pegasos II and Amiga One. I bought a Pegasos because it's better value for money (the Amiga One is over priced).
I would love to see AOS 4 on the Peg. MorphOS is great and I like it but if I had the choice I would choose AOS 4 over MorphOS.

And please stop al that blue/red nonsense, in the end we all want the same.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 07:41:49 PM »

seer wrote:
@Magnetic,

There are always at least 2 ways to look at things;

I call it a "Teron" becuase thats exactly what it is

That sentence isn't an opinion anymore as it is combined with a "fact". You must understand that people will argue that it's not "a terron" and will see that sentence as an attack on their choice (because of the great Flame Battles not that long ago).

@Magnetic,

Seer does have a point, and it's one that gets me in trouble every time I open my mouth around here.  Personal opinions do get taken too personally by others around here, so it's something to consider.  I'm not defending you, them, or anyone else, but I do see seer's point.

Wayne

Offline Step

• Show only replies by Step
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 08:05:45 PM »

Are you living in a bubble? You know, when someone asks do you like Apples or Oranges. If I dont like the Apple nearly as much how should I express why the orange is better? (Think about this one a minute)

When someone asks me if i like apples or oranges more, i donĀ“t tell them that my choice of fruit is better, i tell them which i like more and why, as in, i like apples because i dont have the strength to peel (oranges) them. Or perhaps, i like apples as it comes in more colours. I would not say that the superior enclosure of the orange makes it better, because the crappy manufacturer of the apple obviously forgot to add an orange soft shell to peel off. But i would say that a chiquita is not a banana :lol:
 :sealed: Think, before :ranting:

Offline mjohnson

• Show only replies by mjohnson
    • http://home.swipnet.se/mjohnson/thiswasmethen.jpg
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 08:07:40 PM »
I guess I missed out on that original thread...maybe I should be glad I did... :roll:

@magnetic

Well, even as an OS4 supporter, I too can see the validity in some of your points.
The first batches of A1's might not be a barrel of laughs anymore, but hopefully things will improve with the future ones. And, as a normal user, I don't really get to see any of the hardware close up and personal anyway, all I am aware of is the OS running on top of it. And OS4 seems to be progressing nicely, very nicely. Maybe in the end the "quirks" of the mobo can be catered for seamlessly by the OS and/or the firmware?
Only time will tell. But I for one see no reason to panic just yet. :-)

As for your Linux point, well, I gladly shelled out the big bucks for a mobo with the main purpose of running OS4 on it, and now I am. However, I agree that Linux is important, and I would love to see a kernel which takes care of the special needs DMA of the A1.

Furthermore, I think simply getting a Mac might be a better idea than either the A1 or the PegII. But that's really besides the point of why we're all still around, isn't it? ;-)

You know, when someone asks do you like Apples or Oranges. If I dont like the Apple nearly as much how should I express why the orange is better?

I prefer apples over oranges. So therefore you must be an idiot. So there. :-P
(I love orange juice though, and I'm not that big a fan of apple juice, oddly enough)
Amiga addict since 1990

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 08:22:36 PM »
With G5 Imac for $1299 its hard to argue...

to all:

Never, ever, do I think ANYONE is an idiot for having an A1 or whatever. I just simply state my opinion based on the facts I am aware of.  Its always about choice... I'm just tired of the people that sugar coat the problems and claim that its false when it truly is not.. :-(

And thanks for echoing the orange/apple thing.. ;-)

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 08:35:10 PM »
Maybe it's just me.  Maybe it's just battle wearyness from the idiotic war, but sounds like everyone walked into this thread with blades drawn.  Through very little fault of your own Thomas, the very way and reason the thread was started could be considered antagonistic, which only serves to highlight the problems around here..

In truth -- and in my opinion -- both platforms have major problems which aren't really resolvable -- the least of which is the fact that both of them are about four years too little, too late to make any difference...  As such, what the hell does it matter whether you support one side or the other?  

While I have the utmost respect for the developers and even the teams involved on both sides because they've actually DONE something, neither "parent company" impresses me in any way, shape or form.

Wayne

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 08:41:10 PM »
amen, brother.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 10:16:25 PM »
Wayne: Hmm. I have to admit that when I saw Magnetics first post to this thread I'd expected a lot more active flamefest as a result to his comment.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 10:19:33 PM »
Hmm. I have to admit that when I saw Magnetics first post to this thread I'd expected a lot more active flamefest as a result to his comment.

Things seem to settle down.. Even on ANN flames are less hostile then a few months back. No idea about Moobunny tho.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~