Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Redhouse comments on the A1-Lite  (Read 3059 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: Alan Redhouse comments on the A1-Lite
« on: September 20, 2003, 09:58:36 PM »
:-?

Putting together a MiniITX motherboard must be some hardcore puzzling when it comes to PCB layout and stuff like that. If you got an early prototype ready enough to be assembled in real life, like the one in the pictures, wouldn't "other chipsets and connectors" mean a lot of trouble? Kind of back to square one, with the hardcore puzzling with the layout starting all over again?

Of course, I know nothing at all about HW design so I am just guessing here ...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 10:40:05 PM »
Micro ITX form factor (170mmx170mm)
Gigabit and 10/100 ethernet on board
133MHz UDMA RAID IDE controller
USB 2.0 on board
IEEE 1394 (‘FireWire’) on board
2x AGP graphics on board with PAL/NTSC TV out
AC97 sound on board
1 x PCI33MHz slot (horizontal, via supplied riser card)
Cardbus slot for flash card support (diskless booting, applications, games slot etc)
Usual legacy PS/2, serial, parallel ports

+Exchangable CPU module

This is not what we see on the pictures. Obviously they threw out some pictures on the net, purpously without any explanations, just to get some feedback (or "whishlists") from the forums. Many of the "whishes" are now "official features". Perhaps they also listen to the most important whish of them all, the *price*?

BTW, perhaps the text: "The first step - this board - is basically to shrink the A1XE board to a mini-ITX formfactor and make sure it works properly. Then the other chipsets and connectors will be added" should be "An early prototype of a MiniITX motherboard has been assembled and photographed. Some time later on a completely different one will be made with different chipsets and a different PCB layout, a completely different motherboard from this one"? ;-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 01:18:26 PM »
@ Argo

(Edited)

I myself like the announced features of this future product, and I hope it will be doable (and that it will be as easy as "adding a few new chips and connectors" to the current design).

But one of the more important features of any product is the price, and the price is AFAIK affected by the AInc licensing policies. One has to remember that it's not that difficult to come up with a product with interesting features. The real challange is to make the whole thing affordable to the customers. Are the features worth the money? Relative low volumes (?) and several different actors in the design/production chain (MAI designs, Eyetech license the design, it's manufactured by a third party, then it's sold by resellers, and they all wants a part of the stake) might turn that into a *real* challange. And if a given sum (on top of that) for each and single motherboard will be sucked into that black hole called "Amiga Inc", it won't be any easier.

My guess is that the "lite" will be sold at a similar price to which the A1 XE is sold today, since the situation seems to be quite similar in the design/production/licensing chain. But perhaps it will be sold as a Teron version aswell (that is, none "Amiga")?

My guess is also that the A1 XE will be discontinued when the "lite" is introduced, and that a new "power model" will be announced (with a MAI PPC 970 design?) so that there will be two "A1" models in the future, a base model (the lite) and a power model (the 970), similar to the Genesi strategy. The "power model" will probably be *a lot* more expensive than the lite model ...

Ah well, I guess we will know more in half a year or so. Wake me up then ...
;-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 02:02:27 PM »
@ Argo

(Note that I edited my previously post while you were typing your reply)

Do you know how much the Amiga, Inc. Royalty Fee is per board?

I haven't got a clue! But even if it's only a 1$/€ per board, it won't make it *cheaper* than without it, right? ;-)

Anyway, Eyetech (or someone else?) did also sell "Teron" boards for the Linux market? What was the price difference between those and the "Amiga" branded ones?